Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help.

Options
  • 04-01-2016 9:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I bought a new light fitting for my kitchen in IKEA. My existing wiring coming from the ceiling is 2 blue wires and 1 brown wire that is split. I will attach pics to show. I have connected the two blues and 2 Browns to the new light fitting but it keeps blowing the fuse. Can any one help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

dazzymc wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a new light fitting for my kitchen in IKEA. My existing wiring coming from the ceiling is 2 blue wires and 1 brown wire that is split. I will attach pics to show. I have connected the two blues and 2 Browns to the new light fitting but it keeps blowing the fuse. Can any one help?

can you clarify how many wires come out of the ceiling and their colors

the brown wire has a bare earth attatched.do not connect this to anything

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭dazzymc

svpiat.jpg

2 blues into n
    1brown into L

DONT CONNECT BARE WIRE INTO ANYTHING
    tape it up unused

EfGNdk.jpg

• Advertisement

Okay. I will try that. Thanks Meercat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is there any earth terminal on the light? Or is it double insulated? (A symbol of a square inside a square would be on it)

Is there any earth terminal on the light? Or is it double insulated? (A symbol of a square inside a square would be on it)

good point(most of the ikea lights ive fitted are double insulated)

There's a square inside a square on it and the advice from meerkat got it working. Thanks ks a million. Does the unused brown wire need to be taped with electrical tape?

There's a square inside a square on it and the advice from meerkat got it working. Thanks ks a million. Does the unused brown wire need to be taped with electrical tape?

if you have some(or a spare connector block)
    its best practice(I wouldnt advise cutting it off short in case you replace the fitting in the future)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Just so you're clear...the unused brown wire as you call it is the earth.

Advertisement