Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington Lake

Options
  • 04-01-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Lads I'm going to take a trip up to Blessington Lake for a couple of days fly fishing for Trout when the season kicks of. What size Trout does the lake hold?

I know the ESB stock the lake with Trout of 1lb and under but are there any decent sized fish in it? I'll be hiring a guide to fish it just want an idea of what I can expect to catch.

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Lads I'm going to take a trip up to Blessington Lake for a couple of days fly fishing for Trout when the season kicks of. What size Trout does the lake hold?

I know the ESB stock the lake with Trout of 1lb and under but are there any decent sized fish in it? I'll be hiring a guide to fish it just want an idea of what I can expect to catch.

Cheers lads.

If you're going to the expense of hiring a guide for trout fishing then Blessington is not where you want to be, it has trout but it's not a trout fishery.
    Go somewhere like Sheelin, Ree, derg, corrib or Mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    If you're going to the expense of hiring a guide for trout fishing then Blessington is not where you want to be, it has trout but it's not a trout fishery.
    Go somewhere like Sheelin, Ree, derg, corrib or Mask.

Yea I'm planning on going to Corrib as well in May for a long weekend. I did Sheelin a few years ago it was a complete disaster though I here it's better now.
    Blessington is only 10 minutes from my sisters house so the most expensive part would be the €50 for the guide.

I didn't think fishing was that bad on the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Yea I'm planning on going to Corrib as well in May for a long weekend. I did Sheelin a few years ago it was a complete disaster though I here it's better now.
    Blessington is only 10 minutes from my sisters house so the most expensive part would be the €50 for the guide.

I didn't think fishing was that bad on the lake.
    It's unlikely you'll catch a wild fish and only slightly more chance you'll get a stockie, if you want to catch a stocked trout then spend your money at one the many stocked fisheries around, €50 for a guide plus permit prices would be a waste of money.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    It's unlikely you'll catch a wild fish and only slightly more chance you'll get a stockie, if you want to catch a stocked trout then spend your money at one the many stocked fisheries around, €50 for a guide plus permit prices would be a waste of money.

Thanks for the advice I might just scrap the idea altogether and plan something else. I'm fed up of the stocked lakes with very poor quality fish with no fight. Really looking forward to Corrib though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Hi

I agree with the sentiments of the other posters where trout are concerned.
    I was just wondering if you could give me the contact details for the fishing guide?
    The price seems very low for guiding and I would be interested in talking to him (or her).
    If you would prefer to send it as private message that's fine.

Connel

• Advertisement

connel42 wrote: »
    Hi

I agree with the sentiments of the other posters where trout are concerned.
    I was just wondering if you could give me the contact details for the fishing guide?
    The price seems very low for guiding and I would be interested in talking to him (or her).
    If you would prefer to send it as private message that's fine.

Connel

I don't have a number it's a long time since I was talking to him. His price was €50 on top of the boat and I think the boat was €60 so it ends up €110 for guide and boat.

Advertisement