Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIDI Synth for beginners

Options
  • 04-01-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway, my 13 year old son has expressed an interest in making music (we were in Waltons a few weeks back playing around with the a Novation synth).

I don't want to spend too much as I'm not sure it's something he'll continue or if it's just a fad. But, I also don't want to get something that's too limited as he still may lose interest. I also want to make sure it's something that is plug and play (i.e. USB) so that he can plug directly into the PC and record.

Anyone got any ideas of where to begin or look? My budget would be €100-€200. I was looking on Thomann but there are way too many choices that I'm just getting bamboozled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

chewed wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway, my 13 year old son has expressed an interest in making music (we were in Waltons a few weeks back playing around with the a Novation synth).

I don't want to spend too much as I'm not sure it's something he'll continue or if it's just a fad. But, I also don't want to get something that's too limited as he still may lose interest. I also want to make sure it's something that is plug and play (i.e. USB) so that he can plug directly into the PC and record.

Anyone got any ideas of where to begin or look? My budget would be €100-€200. I was looking on Thomann but there are way too many choices that I'm just getting bamboozled.

You won't get a synth for that money. You could get a mini midi keyboard however. They are essentially controllers so produce no sound of their own, merely allow to play sound generated inside a DAW. You could download a demo of FLStudio or similar for your son to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

mordeith wrote: »
    You won't get a synth for that money. You could get a mini midi keyboard however. They are essentially controllers so produce no sound of their own, merely allow to play sound generated inside a DAW. You could download a demo of FLStudio or similar for your son to try out.

Thanks. I'm slowly learning about synths v midi controllers! :)

If he was to go with an entry level synth (obviously for more money), are there any good recommendations or makes?

Thanks. I'm slowly learning about synths v midi controllers! :)

If he was to go with an entry level synth (obviously for more money), are there any good recommendations or makes?

I'll be honest and say I'd wait on getting him a hardware synth until he gets to grips with the software side of things. It's a loot easier to get a track down using soft synths when you are beginning.

Having said that you could try getting your hands on a second hand MicroKorg. I had a loan of one for a while and they're a nice little machine, with plenty of scope for programming your owns sounds. Takes a while to get used to but there are YouTube tutorials.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/korg_micro_korg.htm

I'll be honest and say I'd wait on getting him a hardware synth until he gets to grips with the software side of things. It's a loot easier to get a track down using soft synths when you are beginning.

Having said that you could try getting your hands on a second hand MicroKorg. I had a loan of one for a while and they're a nice little machine, with plenty of scope for programming your owns sounds. Takes a while to get used to but there are YouTube tutorials.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/korg_micro_korg.htm

Thanks for the advice. I've dabbled using some software in the past (e.g. Adobe Audition, Fruity Loops, etc.), so could show him some of the basics if we went with a basic midi controller.

I do remember having lots of issues with MIDI a long time ago! I assume nowadays it's much handier, as long as it's USB compatible?

Thanks for the advice. I've dabbled using some software in the past (e.g. Adobe Audition, Fruity Loops, etc.), so could show him some of the basics if we went with a basic midi controller.

I do remember having lots of issues with MIDI a long time ago! I assume nowadays it's much handier, as long as it's USB compatible?

MIDI USB controllers are literally plug and play in most cases. MIDI synths can be a little trickier alright.

• Advertisement

MIDI USB controllers are literally plug and play in most cases. MIDI synths can be a little trickier alright.

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.

I was looking at something like this...

http://www.thomann.de/ie/korg_triton_taktile_25.htm

I was looking at something like this...

http://www.thomann.de/ie/korg_triton_taktile_25.htm

Looks good. Some integrated sounds so there is a bit of a hardware aspect to it as well.

Looks good. Some integrated sounds so there is a bit of a hardware aspect to it as well.

Thanks! I might go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Do you have an ipad in the house?

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    Do you have an ipad in the house?

No, but I have a galaxy tab

Could try some of the apps available. Lots of synths and controller apps.. Not 100% whats in the google store as i don't have an android device. But loads in the app store.

Could try some of the apps available. Lots of synths and controller apps.. Not 100% whats in the google store as i don't have an android device. But loads in the app store.

OK thanks. I might check them out. Any recommendations?

OK thanks. I might check them out. Any recommendations?

You could use something like touch osc to control the likes of Ableton live with your tablet. This app has a screen for drum pads, keyboard keys and other buttons for launching clips and other audio elements and as far as i remember its only a few euros.

These apps work by connecting to your wireless network and communicating with the DAW (music software) on your pc.

For apps which are actually synths or DAWs you could try:

Fruity Loops Studio for Android
    Audiotool
    Caustic
    Mikrosonic Groovebox
    Niko Twenty Electrum Drum Machine/Sampler

This might be a good way to see if your Son wants to really get into it or if its just a fad for him without spending hundreds of euro.

So you could download a program demo like Ableton and install touch osc on your tablet. He would have a month to mess around with the demo program and it would only cost a few euros to get the controller software.

You could use something like touch osc to control the likes of Ableton live with your tablet. This app has a screen for drum pads, keyboard keys and other buttons for launching clips and other audio elements and as far as i remember its only a few euros.

These apps work by connecting to your wireless network and communicating with the DAW (music software) on your pc.

For apps which are actually synths or DAWs you could try:

Fruity Loops Studio for Android
    Audiotool
    Caustic
    Mikrosonic Groovebox
    Niko Twenty Electrum Drum Machine/Sampler

This might be a good way to see if your Son wants to really get into it or if its just a fad for him without spending hundreds of euro.

So you could download a program demo like Ableton and install touch osc on your tablet. He would have a month to mess around with the demo program and it would only cost a few euros to get the controller software.

Cool! Thanks for this. Yes, I'd rather him try everything out before splashing out any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

So who's tempted to buy the new Korg? ;)

owF1Apl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Well If a new killer synth fails to get people talking its a sign that this sub forum is well and truly dead!

Its a shame as theres a lot of synth heads on adverts.ie

Would be great to see new life breathed into music production forums, would be a shame to see them closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Doge wrote: »
    Well If a new killer synth fails to get people talking its a sign that this sub forum is well and truly dead!

Its a shame as theres a lot of synth heads on adverts.ie

Would be great to see new life breathed into music production forums, would be a shame to see them closed.

a big shame I agree. I often pop in to try learn a thing or two. I've often toyed with the idea trying to have a go at some music production but I don't know where to start...forums like this are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The feedback thread is still pretty active. Haven't checked for other threads in a while and the post from last year must have slipped through the crack's. That minilogue sounds great btw.
    a big shame I agree. I often pop in to try learn a thing or two. I've often toyed with the idea trying to have a go at some music production but I don't know where to start...forums like this are interesting.

Could always start a thread!

Advertisement