Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook Air

• 04-01-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,

Where is the best place to buy MacBook Air in Ireland (be that online or not)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Currys, Harvey Norman, iConnect, Expert electrical, Applestore refurb.....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

whiterebel wrote: »
    Currys, Harvey Norman, iConnect, Expert electrical, Applestore refurb.....

I asked the best place to buy one, not just where sells them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    I asked the best place to buy one, not just where sells them

Best online http://apple.com/ie
    Best offline compuB nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Cheers for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I would agree its a choice between the two.
    Have bought from Apple direct and also in-shop from CompuB. I do find CompuB staff very helpful and followup service support good so if price isn't different I would go in-store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Before christmas power city were offering 100 euro credit with a trade in of any old pc

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cath54

Looking for advice - looking to buy MacBook for my son. Sorry if this sounds like silly question but I'm clueless when it comes to technology. Do you get Microsoft word etc on an Apple computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You do indeed, but you need to buy it. What does your son need in a laptop? Few options, MacBook Pro, Air and retina MacBook.

Personally think the 13" MacBook Pro with 8gb Ram and 256Gb SSD is the best machine, without knowing the specifics of his needs. Be sure to get the student discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The college will possibly give him Office 365 for free so check that out before buying Word.

He isn't in college yet but it's a special birthday and he is always looking at them when we're out shopping. Do I buy the Microsoft office and download it onto the Apple? And Would I need to get Norton or some other firewall protection also? Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ah I saw the word student somewhere and assumed.

The shop will generally have it; you'll have to get a downloadable version since the Air doesn't have a disk drive. Alternatively OpenOffice and LibreOffice are very good and more importantly free. Very few people bother with security for Apple devices, but there are very good free packages out there so no need to bother with Norton and the like.

Appreciate your advice many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Don't buy anything in the shop bar the computer. No need for Norton. Office online is cheap for students.

People criticise them but for me my MacBook Pro has been an amazing machine. 4 years later it's like new.

Yes I have heard people saying if you go with Apple you'd never go back. Can I just ask you what is the difference between MacBook air and pro? My son is in secondary school so would you think MacBook air would do him?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cath54,

New, redesigned MacBook Pros and probably Airs will be out in the next few weeks for about the same price as the current models, so I'd recommend holding off for a while if you can.

Basically though the Pro is more powerful and has a far superior screen. The Air is lighter, thinner and more portable. And the 12-inch MacBook is a redesigned version of the Air with a better screen.

Don't get Norton or any other paid-for AV software under any circumstances. They will do more harm than good. As said, there's free AV software you can get, but most Mac users don't use anti-malware.

Don't worry about getting Office or any other software. The machine will come with Apple's own iWork package which includes Pages which can open and save Word document just fine and is easier to use. MS Office isn't really necessary for most students. I got through college using just iWork. Never had any need for Office.

Buy either direct from Apple or from CompuB. See if you can get a student discount.

Let me start by saying I am a complete technophobe. Can someone please advise. A presentation written in keynote - how do I send it to a Windows computer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are different ways of doing this, but this is probably the simplest:

With the presentation open in Keynote

- go to the Share menu > Send a Copy > Mail
    - choose "Powerpoint"
    - click Next

A new email window will open with a Powerpoint (.pptx) compatible copy of the presentation as an attachment. Enter email address of who you are sending it to, etc.

Advertisement