Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had we better leaders a century ago?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

blackcard wrote: »
    The question was relating to leaders. I read a piece in the Sindo the weekend where Niamh Horan was decrying the fact that the current leaders did not have the guts of the leaders a century ago

A Niamh Horan article is hardly an ideal starting point.
    I stupidly read the article.
    It wouldn't look out of place in one of the comments sections on the Indo or Times Facebook pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

screamer wrote: »
    They had courage and were willing to lay down their lives for what they believed in.
    Yeah, most people back then were pretty narrow-minded alright.

For the sake of saying a few empty words, they pushed the country into a vicious civil war which was ultimately unnecessary because they lost anyway.

Being willing to shed blood (especially other people's blood) for your beliefs is not objectively an honourable thing. It's selfish and narrow-minded.

De Valera himself was a wiley character, but he started Ireland down a path which gave us a state that barely functioned for the first 60-odd years. Again, due to his narrow-minded personal vision for a Catholic Ireland. Rather than building a genuine republic, he chose one that was ruled by proxy from the Vatican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Enda will be remembered for the great job he done convincing us all we need to pay property tax in order to save the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Mmmm Wt Cosgrave was even more devisive, don't remember all the details but at the very least wasn't it he who introduced the death for republican prisoners without trial. I think he was also a key figure in the treaty of Westminster which opened the door to Ireland becoming a Republic and the commonwealth replacing the empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Enda could be just as good at ordering assassinations as Collins was, we have to give him a chance.

I think we'd find that if we could meet up with most characters from history we'd find they were a lot of horrible people. You didn't get to the top and get put in charge of people back then because you were nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Enda and the current government will almost certainly be viewed in a positive light a hundred years from now. The details get fuzzy or lost over time when it comes to general public perspective, of course academics will know the ins and outs but I think Irish people in 2116 will look back on these people as the saviors of the nation.
    The fact that they and the outgoing Fianna Fail party chose an austerity path, forced the citizen to bail out private enterprise, the hardship and emigration etc etc will all be forgotten. As indeed, it is already starting to be forgotten now that Ireland is on the up n up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Agricola wrote: »
    Enda and the current government will almost certainly be viewed in a positive light a hundred years from now. The details get fuzzy or lost over time when it comes to general public perspective, of course academics will know the ins and outs but I think Irish people in 2116 will look back on these people as the saviors of the nation.
    The fact that they and the outgoing Fianna Fail party chose an austerity path, forced the citizen to bail out private enterprise, the hardship and emigration etc etc will all be forgotten. As indeed, it is already starting to be forgotten now that Ireland is on the up n up.

nobody over 30 will forget this in a hurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not sure what the intent is here, but as someone well over 30 I certainly won't forget how this government dragged us back from a recession so quickly. I I applaud them and that's not something I do for politicians very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

1925: Shannon Electric scheme is introduced. The BIGGEST hydroelectric power station in the WORLD is built in Ireland to supply 80% of the country's energy needs.

2012: 55 MILLION Euro worth of electronic voting machines are sold by the government for 70 thousand euro to be shredded and scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

True, but time is a great healer, as is money. Was a good Christmas for retail by all accounts, consumer confidence is coming back, new car sales increasing.... when people have the a job, their kids have jobs and theres a bit of money floating about, all is good in the world. What happened back in September '08 again? Im not too sure........ oh look the new iphone is out!

I think FF will be back in government in some shape or form inside 10 years, quite possibly Election 2021. Short memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The difference with FF this time is they didn't get back to correct it. Haughey ballsed it up, Fg/Lab made things even worse and Haughey had no other option than to clean it up when he came back in.

The days of the 2 1/2 party system are over, 3 1/2 now, maybe 4 if Labour follow history and recover in 5 years time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

DeValera was like JarJar Binx, possibly the greatest sith lord of all times..
    He didn't do too much during the rising or wars other than contradicted his own orders countless times, dodged numerous hits, waited until all of his mates got the bullet and then siezed control in the Senate by establishing an emperical republic..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

True, but time is a great healer, as is money. Was a good Christmas for retail by all accounts, consumer confidence is coming back, new car sales increasing.... when people have the a job, their kids have jobs and theres a bit of money floating about, all is good in the world. What happened back in September '08 again? Im not too sure........ oh look the new iphone is out!

I think FF will be back in government in some shape or form inside 10 years, quite possibly Election 2021. Short memories.

If the new car sales are largely based on credit, I'd be inclined to reserve such confidence.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, most people back then were pretty narrow-minded alright.

For the sake of saying a few empty words, they pushed the country into a vicious civil war which was ultimately unnecessary because they lost anyway.

Being willing to shed blood (especially other people's blood) for your beliefs is not objectively an honourable thing. It's selfish and narrow-minded.

De Valera himself was a wiley character, but he started Ireland down a path which gave us a state that barely functioned for the first 60-odd years. Again, due to his narrow-minded personal vision for a Catholic Ireland. Rather than building a genuine republic, he chose one that was ruled by proxy from the Vatican.

Are people just gonna make up history as the go along?

The link between State and Church was very clearly forged when WT Cosgrave, a personal friend of Archbishop McQuaid, became President of the Executive Council.

From then on, the die was cast. To pass the buck to de Valera, a man who effectively sidelined McQuaid in the 1953 Health Act (when a servile FG Government had collapsed in the face of his wrath) is simply sheer and utter nonsense. Yes, we were a Catholic country, a Catholic society, and McQuaid held much sway...but that was very much the country and society shaoed by Cosgrave's Governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Heroditas wrote: »
    A Niamh Horan article is hardly an ideal starting point.
    I stupidly read the article.
    It wouldn't look out of place in one of the comments sections on the Indo or Times Facebook pages.

Tbh I didn't read the article, it was the headline about leaders of today not having the guts of the leaders of a century ago. I think it is easy to look back with rose tinted glasses at the leaders of 100 years ago. You could argue that the organisation of the Rising was a shambles resulting in unnecessary deaths. Similarly in America, people look back to Abe Lincoln and George Washington as iconic leaders but if we were to judge them by today's standards, they would be seen as deeply flawed, as was Churchill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

K-9 wrote: »
    The big drawback in hindsight was establishing the Catholic Church as such a force in Ireland. DeV gets the blame but it started under the CnaG administrations.

Don't know why John Redmond wasn't mrntioned. He was our political leader 100 years ago.
    Yeah it's interesting to see what people make of Redmond, my view would be he led a lot more Irish people to their deaths and for a bankrupt cause (if he knew partition was the only solution the british would accept), but with fundamentally good intentions..

With the attitudes you describe above the country will be bankrupt again in 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Are people just gonna make up history as the go along?

The link between State and Church was very clearly forged when WT Cosgrave, a personal friend of Archbishop McQuaid, became President of the Executive Council.

From then on, the die was cast. To pass the buck to de Valera, a man who effectively sidelined McQuaid in the 1953 Health Act (when a servile FG Government had collapsed in the face of his wrath) is simply sheer and utter nonsense. Yes, we were a Catholic country, a Catholic society, and McQuaid held much sway...but that was very much the country and society shaoed by Cosgrave's Governments.

The 1937 constitution was the crucial piece of legislation in creating the hegemony of the RCC. That was Devs work. Current FFers don't like that but you can't rewrite history to suit FF. That said, no political party dared go against the RCC at the time and FG were no better.

To go to the OP: were our leaders better? Pearse et al launched the rising with no mandate. They declared a type of govt with no mandate. The civil war was fought because the Dail voted to accept the treaty and some people tried to set aside the will of parliament by the gun. They lost. I don't think they were better for that reason: true democracy was something they had to learn. Arguably as a country we are still learning it.

Yeah it's interesting to see what people make of Redmond, my view would be he led a lot more Irish people to their deaths and for a bankrupt cause (if he knew partition was the only solution the british would accept), but with fundamentally good intentions..

I don't think partition was clear at the start the war, became clearer at the Irish summit that took place then. Events took over then.

Smart thing was resisting conscription for the war when he copped the British couldn't deliver a United Ireland under Home Rule.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Was a good Christmas for retail by all accounts, consumer confidence is coming back, new car sales increasing.

I utterly fail to see new car sales as a barometer of economic health in Ireland, other than a negative one. Almost every euro spent on a car in Ireland, whether on purchase or fuel, is a euro out of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

How do you mean it was misleading?

It was exactly what it was, a courtesy paid to a diplomat in Ireland by the leader of a neutral country. Badly judged, perhaps, but what do you think it really meant?

I meant would you take another angle on Devalera sympathizing with a Nazi over the death of one of the greatest tyrants the world has ever seen. I have my answer, thank you.

Neutrality In WW2 at best was foolish, if the Germans had broken main land Britain, all they needed was a fart and a burp and our history would be severely altered.
    It was in our undoubted interests that Britain did not fall. But of course we were never neutral in a similar way to how we can not call ourselves neutral today when we allow American military aircraft to refeul on our soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

feargale wrote: »
    I utterly fail to see new car sales as a barometer of economic health in Ireland, other than a negative one. Almost every euro spent on a car in Ireland, whether on purchase or fuel, is a euro out of the country.
    If people are buying new cars, they're buying other things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The difference is they didn't have a media that tears politicians to shreds back then.

Could you imagine Patrick Pearse becoming the legendary figure he is if he were alive today and the Daily Mail found out about his fondness for little boys?

Article 8.

Freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are, subject to public order and morality, guaranteed to every citizen, and no law may be made either directly or indirectly to endow any religion, or prohibit or restrict the free exercise thereof or give any preference, or impose any disability on account of religious belief or religious status, or affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending the religious instruction at the school, or make any discrimination as respects State aid between schools under the management of different religious denominations, or divert from any religious denomination or any educational institution any of its property except for the purpose of roads, railways, lighting, water or drainage works or other works of public utility, and

The 1922 Constitution articles on religion above

Below is the very start of the original 1937 constitution:

In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,

And in regard to religion:
    RELIGION
    Edit
    Article 44
    1. The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.
    2. The State recognises the special position of the Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church as the guardian of the Faith professed by the great majority of the citizens.
    3. The State also recognises the Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland, the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland, as well as the Jewish Congregations and the other religious denominations existing in Ireland at the date of the coming into operation of this Constitution

I think the enlargement of position of religion and the RCC is very clear in the 1937 constitution. Just adding this in to clarify historical fact as opposed to party political spin

Dev is to be criticised for many things, but there are few who don't praise his conduct in WWII. Hempel the German minister to Ireland was a career diplomat who had little sympathy with Naziism but sought to serve his country as best he could. His behaviour as a diplomat in Ireland was impeccable. By contrast David Gray, the US ambassador behaved as a despicable bully and showed no respect for Ireland's neutrality. It was in this context that Dev paid his respects to Hempel on the death of Hitler.
    It's no harm to note that when Mussolini survived Violet Gibson's attempt on his life W.T.Cosgrave was one of those who communicated with Il Duce expressing relief that he was little the worse. If I'm not mistaken the British government did likewise. In the great moral code of imperial powers tyrants become baddies only when they upset those powers.
    On the issue of neutrality itself it is not customary for countries to enter alliances with countries they were at war with less than two decades previously. In 1939 the British psychology still saw Ireland as a part of the Empire, without a right to determine its own foreign policy, hardly surprising since it took them about two centuries to forgive the Yankees for breaking free. One can still read in the British press articles bemoaning Ireland's WWII neutrality with its allied bias, but not a word of complaint about the Nazi-leaning neutrality of Switzerland, Sweden or Portugal.

Dev is to be criticised for many things, but there are few who don't praise his conduct in WWII. Hempel the German minister to Ireland was a career diplomat who had little sympathy with Naziism but sought to serve his country as best he could. His behaviour as a diplomat in Ireland was impeccable. By contrast David Gray, the US ambassador behaved as a despicable bully and showed no respect for Ireland's neutrality. It was in this context that Dev paid his respects to Hempel on the death of Hitler.
    It's no harm to note that when Mussolini survived Violet Gibson's attempt on his life W.T.Cosgrave was one of those who communicated with Il Duce expressing relief that he was little the worse. If I'm not mistaken the British government did likewise. In the great moral code of imperial powers tyrants become baddies only when they upset those powers.
    On the issue of neutrality itself it is not customary for countries to enter alliances with countries they were at war with less than two decades previously. In 1939 the British psychology still saw Ireland as a part of the Empire, without a right to determine its own foreign policy, hardly surprising since it took them about two centuries to forgive the Yankees for breaking free. One can still read in the British press articles bemoaning Ireland's WWII neutrality with its allied bias, but not a word of complaint about the Nazi-leaning neutrality of Switzerland, Sweden or Portugal.
    The entire anglosphere bar Ireland was united against Germany. We have cultural and ethnic ties with the rest of the anglosphere that we don't have with Germany or Italy. Britain was facing an existential crisis and to our shame we didn't help them. You can hardly blame the Americans for being appalled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The entire anglosphere bar Ireland was united against Germany. We have cultural and ethnic ties with the rest of the anglosphere that we don't have with Germany or Italy. Britain was facing an existential crisis and to our shame we didn't help them. You can hardly blame the Americans for being appalled!

Yes, help those who just a few years previous had been rampaging across the country harassing the population. Best thing we could do was keep out. Let the big boys duke it out. All we could be was cannon fodder for allied front lines and once more reduce our urban centres to ruin.

Yes, help those who just a few years previous had been rampaging across the country harassing the population. Best thing we could do was keep out. Let the big boys duke it out. All we could be was cannon fodder for allied front lines and once more reduce our urban centres to ruin.

I wasn't aware the average British person was "rampaging" across Ireland?

Why are the Irish so cowardly. "Let the big boys duke it out" what does that even mean? If America had pulled out and Britain been occupied do you think Ireland would have been left out of this new European order?

I meant would you take another angle on Devalera sympathizing with a Nazi over the death of one of the greatest tyrants the world has ever seen. I have my answer, thank you.

Neutrality In WW2 at best was foolish, if the Germans had broken main land Britain, all they needed was a fart and a burp and our history would be severely altered.
    It was in our undoubted interests that Britain did not fall. But of course we were never neutral in a similar way to how we can not call ourselves neutral today when we allow American military aircraft to refeul on our soil.

He was following diplomatic protocol for a neutral state. Just ditching neutrality at the end would have made a mockery of it.

Added bonus for DeV that it really annoyed Churchill, and it really did annoy him. Took a dig at Ireland on his VE speech in Westminster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

He was following diplomatic protocol for a neutral state. Just ditching neutrality at the end would have made a mockery of it.

Added bonus for DeV that it really annoyed Churchill, and it really did annoy him. Took a dig at Ireland on his VE speech in Westminster.

And Devs speech back at Churchill was really quite brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Only the Irish could serve tribute to Adolf Hitler..

In answer to the OP question, yes. Most leaders now don't hold any convictions and stick by them. As much as Gerry Adams is a tool and as dodgy as a chocolate tea pot, at least you know what he stands for.

It could be a Southern thing full of people who love political correctness and no real beliefs in anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I dont believe you can compare anyone from 100 years ago to anyone today.

It was a totally alien culture and belief structure from what we have at the moment.

How many people in Ireland today would willingly sacrifice themselves for a cause?

How many would join the army if they were called upon?

Probably a fraction of those who fought in various wars from 1914-1922.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, perhaps we're a more focused on the individual now and more knowledgeable with the consequences of putting heart before mind.

Only the Irish could serve tribute to Adolf Hitler..

In answer to the OP question, yes. Most leaders now don't hold any convictions and stick by them. As much as Gerry Adams is a tool and as dodgy as a chocolate tea pot, at least you know what he stands for.

It could be a Southern thing full of people who love political correctness and no real beliefs in anything.

I could say something equally as stupid as this about Orangemen but it would only be a vapid and worthless generalization. You might like to research the country in which Hitler secured power and how tribute was due to him, legally. The country is called Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Correct me if I am wrong but was there not a desire in America to stay neutral? until Germany declared war on America-I know the Americans were supplying war materials to the UK but the British had to pay hard cash for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

kingchess wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but was there not a desire in America to stay neutral? until Germany declared war on America-I know the Americans were supplying war materials to the UK but the British had to pay hard cash for it?

Lots of German immigrants in the US and a big isolationist movement. Roosevelt pushed for war but it took the lusitania and unrestricted sub warfare to get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

It presupposes a lot really.
    Ireland as a country really isn't that old, even if the Irish have been knocking about for 2,000 years or so. We tend towards hagiography of the leaders of the Rising and from the distant past because they were the first men (plus Constance) to assert political Irishness. They're our Founding Fathers, and we treat them with the same sycophancy that the Americans treat theirs with.
    Looking at the worst possible view of all those mentioned:

Pearse
    Bit dodge on the youthful boys question. Imagine a cross between David Norris and Dev - he wanted young, Gaelic boys who would be athletic and Gaeilgeoirs. Less interest in the comely maidens, obviously.
    Let's just say I'd rather he not get his hands on the Department of Education.
    Collins
    Hero and traitor, terrorist, clearly. Ruthless and violent, and, not unskilled as a leader. Bloody good at murdering people, would he have handled the recession well?
    De Valera
    Heh.
    Griffith
    Raging anti-Semite who wanted Ireland to be one part of a British Austro-Hungarian-esque dual monarchy. Never really did much other than set up SF and sit around waiting for things to go mental.
    Larkin
    After the Lockout he ****ed off to the States for a while and became an ardent communist. Later convicted in dodgy circumstances and deported. Came back to Ireland, was a commie for a while, then thought better of it, became Catholic again and a fairly straightforward trade unionist, eventually applying to join the modern Labour Party. Was buried by Archbishop McQuaid.
    Cosgrave
    Funny one really, ended up the Taoiseach by accident rather than design and asserted the primacy of the State and the Constitution. Not really popular for how he did that. (Had a rake of people killed.)
    A fairly solid and very conservative leader, he steered Ireland into independence, but was definitely not a man of the people.

Kenny
    He's the human equivalent of lettuce.
    Martin
    Looks like the sort of lad who should have been a priest rather than a politician. He's a classic FF hypocrite who dares complain about the very health system he ****ed up whilst championing hte party that ****ed the country. And he's from Cork.
    Burton
    Moan Burton. Worst Labour leader I can recall. About as charismatic as mild torture and a dreadful communicator who has singularly failed to offer any effective leadership or message for her party.
    Adams
    Haha.
    Murphy
    Ambitious little prick who'll say anything to get into power. Tells people that if he got into power that wouldn't be enough to give them the change the left wants - claims Labour are traitors to the left for not doing enough.
    Wallace
    Dodgy builder who should be in prison.

Looks like the past was slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

eeguy wrote: »
    Lots of German immigrants in the US and a big isolationist movement. Roosevelt pushed for war but it took the lusitania and unrestricted sub warfare to get them in.
    Sorry-skimmed thread and was thinking you were discussing Dev and ww2.

masti123 wrote: »
    Ireland as a country really isn't that old, even if the Irish have been knocking about for 2,000 years or so. We tend towards hagiography of the leaders of the Rising and from the distant past because they were the first men (plus Constance) to assert political Irishness. They're our Founding Fathers, and we treat them with the same sycophancy that the Americans treat theirs with.

Pearse
    Bit dodge on the youthful boys question. Imagine a cross between David Norris and Dev - he wanted young, Gaelic boys who would be athletic and Gaeilgeoirs. Less interest in the comely maidens, obviously.
    Collins
    Hero and traitor, terrorist, clearly. Ruthless and violent, and, not unskilled as a leader. Bloody good at murdering people, would he have handled the recession well?
    De Valera
    Heh.
    Griffith
    Raging anti-Semite who wanted Ireland to be one part of a British Austro-Hungarian-esque dual monarchy. Never really did much other than set up SF and sit around waiting for things to go mental.
    Larkin
    After the Lockout he ****ed off to the States for a while and became an ardent communist. Later convicted in dodgy circumstances and deported. Came back to Ireland, was a commie for a while, then thought better of it, became Catholic again and a fairly straightforward trade unionist, eventually applying to join the modern Labour Party. Was buried by Archbishop McQuaid.
    Cosgrave
    Funny one really, ended up the Taoiseach by accident rather than design and asserted the primacy of the State and the Constitution. Not really popular for how he did that. (Had a rake of people killed.)
    A fairly solid and very conservative leader, he steered Ireland into independence, but was definitely not a man of the people.

Kenny
    Martin
    Looks like the sort of lad who should have been a priest rather than a politician. He's a classic FF hypocrite who dares complain about the very health system he ****ed up whilst championing hte party that ****ed the country. And he's from Cork.
    Burton
    Moan Burton. Worst Labour leader I can recall. About as charismatic as mild torture and a dreadful communicator who has singularly failed to offer any effective leadership or message for her party.
    Adams
    Haha.
    Murphy
    Ambitious little prick who'll say anything to get into power. Tells people that if he got into power that wouldn't be enough to give them the change the left wants - claims Labour are traitors to the left for not doing enough.
    Wallace

Looks like you're the only one who is above reproach. Which constituency will you be standing in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

masti123 wrote: »

Pearse
    Collins
    De Valera
    Heh.
    Griffith
    Larkin
    Cosgrave

Kenny
    Martin
    Burton
    Adams
    Haha.
    Murphy
    Wallace

I think that each generation has their share of flawed leaders. We are going to celebrate the leaders of a century ago whilst denigrating current leaders Both sets of leaders are flawed as will future leaders. Tbh I don't think you can get to the top and stay there without being ruthless and egotistical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I don't think so. But the media weren't as resolute in their pursuit of, er, truth. Plus, powerful men were courted by newspaper barons and vice versa. The word being mum in a lot of the cases that should have been investigated.

I don't think partition was clear at the start the war, became clearer at the Irish summit that took place then. Events took over then.

Smart thing was resisting conscription for the war when he copped the British couldn't deliver a United Ireland under Home Rule.
    Hm I would have thought the army mutiny before WW1 in 1914 would have made it clear that 32 county home rule was never going to happen. The British army attitude is also pretty noteworthy in how they treated the unionists versus how they would later treat the 1916 rising, and later of course the attitude of the Black and Tans

Ah yeah, depends what "was on the table" as Joan would say. Redmond copped about Perfidious Albion over conscription, knew he was being sold a pup and that we'd never get unification under Home Rule, as the British promised. Small matter of those guys in Norin Iron who aren't partial to the ould reunification stuff.

Ahead of is time in realpolitiks, took a while to sink in for a few others.

@masti, that's genius. The rumours on twitter about Pearse would be brilliant in 2016.

Bet you love boys, dirty fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I could say something equally as stupid as this about Orangemen but it would only be a vapid and worthless generalization. You might like to research the country in which Hitler secured power and how tribute was due to him, legally. The country is called Germany
    What are you on about? What leader would send condolences about the death for Hitler. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

@masti, that's genius. The rumours on twitter about Pearse would be brilliant in 2016.

Bet you love boys, dirty fecker.

No idea what you're trying to say..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Better or worse they had the courage of their convictions. gumption and integrity is thin on the ground these days. I think this is a reflection of society too. As the dickgeoghan song says there are no gods and there are precious few hero's, but there's many on the dole in the land of o Neil.
    Also I believe the pearse was a paedophile blather is a nasty slander caused by a deliberate misinterpretation of a poem he wrote as a teacher admiring the beauty and enthusiasm of youth and that this was what made his vision of Ireland worth fighting for. A symbol of purity, of good. To interpret it otherwise says more about the interpreter imo. This slander campaigning was and is an effective and overused way to overshadow a cause or movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Enda Kenny will be revered by the Irish in one hundred years. His government rescued a country on the brink and turned it into the fastest growing economy in Europe.

Irish people just love whinging and mouthing off. :rolleyes:

I'm still rolling round the floor laughing. Ah man, your good. You crack me up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im sure more charismatic leaders would put themselves to the fore if we were under the same circumstances of colonial oppression today as we were then. They were necessary then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im sure more charismatic leaders would put themselves to the fore if we were under the same circumstances of colonial impression today as we were then. They were necessary then
    Add your reply here.
    Very true. Who would bother when we have no easy to spot oppressor. Also the I'm alright jack mentality, which is fair enough I Suppose. why would you put yourself up for ridicule and torment by challenging the status quo without a big party possy to back you upwhen your own life wouldn't be much improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i genuinely don't think so.
    every generation produces politicians. some more obvious to the public than others.
    maybe they all go into politics with a wish to do 'something better' than the last lot, but i think somewhere along the way senior civil servants and 'this is the way it's done' mantra take away the drive and hope and replace it with mediocrity and a sense of entitlement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement