Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass sexual assaults covered up for 4 days by German media - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Where is the line between asking for it, deserved it, should have seen it coming, shouldn't be forcing these fine young men to be living in sports halls? Twas only a few anyway, happens every Tuesday in tesco.

There is a determined effort to downplay, minimise and deflect a pretty terrifying experience at the hands of a large organised group.

I'm taking some some of these attitudes and extending them a little to demonstrate how ridiculous they are.

Its not downplaying, its contextualising, it is used here by a hate mob to decry acceptance of refugees from the ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

An uncommonly large group of men of reported North African/Middle Eastern descent gathers in a German city, there were 60 complaints and of that, 20 of groping and one of rape

Response : hysteria

Same **** happens in our nightclubs by locals, barely reported in the media

Response : meh, it's the drink

Not condoning it for a second, and the German police need to preempt and deal with large groups like that, but a little perspective is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah yeah, but the biggest majority opinion is rightly criticising it, online after all you'll always get a couple of wind up merchants.

Hopefully they can identify whoever took part in this from CCTV coverage and obviously any right to seek refugee status will be gone. Deportation will be the next problem though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Where is the line between asking for it, deserved it, should have seen it coming, shouldn't be forcing these fine young men to be living in sports halls? Twas only a few anyway, happens every Tuesday in tesco.

There is a determined effort to downplay, minimise and deflect a pretty terrifying experience at the hands of a large organised group.

I'm taking some some of these attitudes and extending them a little to demonstrate how ridiculous they are.

so you are exaggerating what people actually posted???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

A fair amount of rape apologetics from supposed liberal people here. The women were asking for it because German "racism" (this the country that left in hundreds of thousands) or because of the accomodation being inadequate.

The modern version of wearing a mini-skirt.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but the biggest majority opinion is rightly criticising it, online after all you'll always get a couple of wind up merchants.

Hopefully they can identify whoever took part in this from CCTV coverage and obviously any right to seek refugee status will be gone. Deportation will be the next problem though.

Well anyone that commits sexual crimes or otherwise, should be met with swift justice, I don't think anyone disagrees on that.

A fair amount of rape apologetics from supposed liberal people here. The women were asking for it because German "racism" (this the country that left in hundreds of thousands) or because of the accomodation being inadequate.

quote them?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    An uncommonly large group of men of reported North African/Middle Eastern descent gathers in a German city, there were 60 complaints and of that, 20 of groping and one of rape

Not condoning it for a second, and the German police need to preempt and deal with large groups like that, but a little perspective is needed

You are definitely condoning it ( as well as making up your own statistics). 60 complaints, 20 gropes and a rape is standard on nights out is it?

Have those who have raised the Balkan countries on a thread about sexual assault and rape just erased the 90s from their memories?

It is appalling that men who may be Muslim may have raped one woman in Cologne.

But let's not pretend that in the 90s tens of thousands of Muslim women were not raped. Here in Europe. By Europeans.

Which is not to excuse what happened in Cologne, merely to introduce some facts from our very recent history in Europe.

It's pure whataboutary. What happened in the Balkans is irrelevant to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It doesn't sound like you're condoning it to me, more relegating it to being less important than that picture of the dead toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, hoping Merkel gets what she deserves was a bit sick all right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You are definite condoning it ( as well as making up your own statistics). 60 complaints, 20 gropes and a rape is standard on nights out is it?

1. What am I condoning exactly and how?

2. What statistics did I make up? (those are from the article)

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, hoping Merkel gets what she deserves was a bit sick all right.

Sure. But not a "liberal apologetic". More a right wing apologetic (or support) for rape. But that's not all that went on in here is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No, it really doesn't.

A fair amount of rape apologetics from supposed liberal people here.

Yeah quote them please

1. What am I condoning exactly and how?

2. What statistics did I make up? (those are from the article)

1) whataboutary is always an attempt to shift blame. Very common in the "troubles". IRA kill dozens - what about that UVF atrocity. What about the famine.

2) the statistics you made up were related to typical nights out.

Yeah quote them please

I'm quoting them as I find them.

I've yet to see one rape apologist.

mansize wrote: »

Really. Anybody who says. Ignore A whatabout that B is excusing this. one guy said "what can you expect because the accomodation sucks".

"Around 60 complaints have been made to the police in Cologne after a group of around 1,000 men attacked revellers in the city centre in a brutal and “completely unheard of” way, Wolfgang Albers, Chief of Police in the Rhineland city said at a press conference on Monday afternoon."

Just your typical night out in Dublin. Nothing to see here.

• Advertisement

1) whataboutary is always an attempt to shift blame. Very common in the "troubles". IRA kill dozens - what about that UVF atrocity. What about the famine.

You bring up the IRA and the famine and now accuse me of whataboutery as well as condoning the attacks

Wow

Quote and name one poster who you think is a rape apologist or keep those spurious claims to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The far-left are desperately trying to get this thread shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Quote and name one poster who you think is a rape apologist or keep those spurious claims to yourself

Just go and read your post here. You completely dismiss the acts that happened with a daft comparison, then try to suggest that you're "Not condoning it for a second" but then go on to say some perspective is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

That's because you'll find any inference in an "opponents" viewpoint and maximise it, and defend your own with "WHERE EXACTLY DID I SAY THAT, WHERE WHERE WHERE COME ON COME ON SHOW ME SHOW ME SHOW ME".

Someone saying " it's no big deal that these lads formed a large crowd to molest women, because well shur the locals do that too shur it happens everywhere and shur these lads were disadvantaged... " is making excuses for these guys and their tahrir square behaviour. It undermines any genuine defence of mass uncontrolled immigration of an alien culture.

That's because you'll find any inference in an "opponents" viewpoint and maximise it, and defend your own with "WHERE EXACTLY DID I SAY THAT, WHERE WHERE WHERE COME ON COME ON SHOW ME SHOW ME SHOW ME".

Someone saying " it's no big deal that these lads formed a large crowd to molest women, because well shur the locals do that too shur it happens everywhere and shur these lads were disadvantaged... " is making excuses for these guys and their tahrir square behaviour. It undermines any genuine defence of mass uncontrolled immigration of an alien culture.

It's not, it's saying the likelihood of occourance is similar - that's all.

Are they the ones that said AM should be raped????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Really. Anybody who says. Ignore A whatabout that B is excusing this. one guy said "what can you expect because the accomodation sucks".

If you are referring to the poster I'm thinking of, then that poster is a woman unless I'm very confused, and a very sensible poster in general. Not sure what happened on this occasion!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How do you figure that? Seriously. If posters don't go full on batshít insulting etc I don't see why the thread would be closed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's not, it's saying the likelihood of occourance is similar - that's all.

So the likelihood of:

"Around 60 complaints have been made to the police in Cologne after a group of around 1,000 men attacked revellers in the city centre in a brutal and “completely unheard of” way, Wolfgang Albers, Chief of Police in the Rhineland city said at a press conference on Monday afternoon."

Is similar in Ireland by the Irish?

• Advertisement

You bring up the IRA and the famine and now accuse me of whataboutery as well as condoning the attacks

Wow

I was clearly using the IRA apologists as an example of whataboutary. I am not engaging in whataboutary but explaining the concept. Nor was I talking about you.

If someone during the troubles was asked to condemn an atrocity he deflected by mentioning another atrocity. That's not condemning something and it's a logical fallacy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement