Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric problems in the house

Options
  • 04-01-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi Guys. I don't know am I at the right place to talk about my problem and to get some advise. 
    So all lights in my house gets dim then the power shower is in use, i got to read that it is normal as power drops down by up to 10v while power shower is in use. But the problem is that lights goes dim even if I'm not using power shower they goes dim then I'm not using any power eating device. Looks like could be neighbors are using something what has impact on my lights to go dim. I got a digital multimeter to do some tests on my wall sockets while shower is in use and not. So i have normal 220-228 voltage coming out of my wall sockets. Then power shower is in use voltage goes down to 200v isn't it a little bit too much? And i think i have power spikes at the moment lights goes back from dim or then i switch power shower off or whatever time as two of my laptops got suddenly too hot in the area as RAM modules what are very sensitive to voltage it comes to them once even got a discharge to my arm, got some power surge protected sockets and laptops works as should work with no strange issues. So what could be a problem in my house and where i should start looking for the problem? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi andrius.k,

Thanks for your post.

If you're not exceeding the capacity of your supply and you still note inconsistent/problematic levels of voltage and other irregularities, you should contact ESB Networks by phone on 1850 372 757, or by email. ESB Networks operate and maintain the electricity network on behalf of all suppliers and would be the people you would need to contact in such a case.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    David

________

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭andrius.k

Hi andrius.k,

Thanks for your post.

If you're not exceeding the capacity of your supply and you still note inconsistent/problematic levels of voltage and other irregularities, you should contact ESB Networks by phone on 1850 372 757, or by [mail=esbnetworks@esb.ie]email[/mail]. ESB Networks operate and maintain the electricity network on behalf of all suppliers and would be the people you would need to contact in such a case.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    David

________
    Thanks David. I will contact ESB then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

andrius.k wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I don't know am I at the right place to talk about my problem and to get some advise.
    So all lights in my house gets dim then the power shower is in use, i got to read that it is normal as power drops down by up to 10v while power shower is in use. But the problem is that lights goes dim even if I'm not using power shower they goes dim then I'm not using any power eating device. Looks like could be neighbors are using something what has impact on my lights to go dim. I got a digital multimeter to do some tests on my wall sockets while shower is in use and not. So i have normal 220-228 voltage coming out of my wall sockets. Then power shower is in use voltage goes down to 200v isn't it a little bit too much? And i think i have power spikes at the moment lights goes back from dim or then i switch power shower off or whatever time as two of my laptops got suddenly too hot in the area as RAM modules what are very sensitive to voltage it comes to them once even got a discharge to my arm, got some power surge protected sockets and laptops works as should work with no strange issues. So what could be a problem in my house and where i should start looking for the problem?
    I assume you are talking about a Electric Shower in the range of 8.5 KW to 9.5 KW??. Check the voltage at the MCB/Fuse Board as close as you can to the ESB Supply before and after switching on the Shower and not at the wall sockets. If the voltage readings are then similar then there may be a problem on the ESB side of things. I think the ESB guarantee their suppy at + or - 10% of 230V ie 207V to 253V.
    Just checked my own 9.0KW shower, OFF: 243V ON:236.5V....volt drop 5.5V. 10V definitely seems excessive, thats why I suggest taking it at the "ESB end".

Advertisement