Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad 1

• 04-01-2016 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

Have a first gen 64gb iPad sitting around doing nothing. I got a new tablet during Xmas as the iPad hadn't been supported and a lot of my apps didn't work any more.

Just wondering what I should do with the iPad. It's in perfect condition and Id like to give it to my dad to Browse the net or whatever but safari on it doesn't work on a lot of sites now.

Are there other browsers that will run on the older iOS or if I jail break it can I get a decent browser that way? I had it jail broken before but went back to iOS.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm in the same situation, first gen with iOS 5.1. Nowadays I just use it for reading .pdf books and browsing. I haven't come across any sites that haven't worked yet but I've no doubt I will eventually.

There was a rumour that someone had managed to install ChromeOS on it but I couldn't find any real info on actually installing it.

Jailbreaking may be your only option but I've never tried it so not sure about it.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm in the same situation, first gen with iOS 5.1. Nowadays I just use it for reading .pdf books and browsing. I haven't come across any sites that haven't worked yet but I've no doubt I will eventually.

There was a rumour that someone had managed to install ChromeOS on it but I couldn't find any real info on actually installing it.

Jailbreaking may be your only option but I've never tried it so not sure about it.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »

Ken

Are you using Safari to browse or a different app? Safari crashes a lot of me on certain sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Drexel wrote: »
    Anyone? :(

Jailbreak using Redsn0w. Easy enough. That'll get you sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dodzy wrote: »
    Jailbreak using Redsn0w. Easy enough. That'll get you sorted.

Sorted with what though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Sell it using cex or game or on adverts

Sorted with what though?
    Well for one, it'll open up a lot more apps thereby giving OP a better chance of finding a useable browser.

OP, have you tried Mercury or Atomic browsers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have a perfect Ipad 2 at home with IOS 9XX can that be jailbroken. I got a Nvidia Shield at christmas time there, but im looking at the Ipad thinking its such a waste just sitting there.

Well for one, it'll open up a lot more apps thereby giving OP a better chance of finding a useable browser.

OP, have you tried Mercury or Atomic browsers ?

I have one that's jailbroken but it doesn't seem to be any happier about opening apps, is there any cydia package that allows you use older apps or do you mean there are apps for the ipad 1 on cydia itself?
    I'd be delighted if there are! :) Even if it could do spotify I'm sure I could find more use for it.

• Advertisement

I have one that's jailbroken but it doesn't seem to be any happier about opening apps, is there any cydia package that allows you use older apps or do you mean there are apps for the ipad 1 on cydia itself?
    I'd be delighted if there are! :) Even if it could do spotify I'm sure I could find more use for it.

Heres a list of compatibles for 5.1 iPad 1. Pages of stuff. Hope you get lucky;)

Have a look here too. Might work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHrCTb5Fjw

garbeth wrote: »
    Sell it using cex or game or on adverts

Don't really want to sell it. Not worth it.

CEX are parasites too

I used to use the atomic browser but haven't in a while. Might just see what I can download browser wise and try em all. If nothing else il jail break and see how what I can use there

Heres a list of compatibles for 5.1 iPad 1. Pages of stuff. Hope you get lucky;)

Have a look here too. Might work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHrCTb5Fjw

You're a star, thank you. :)
    Going to try this tonight!

Advertisement