Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location aware mobile network switching

Options
  • 04-01-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all,

Is anyone aware of an app that would allow a Note 4 (rooted running CM 12.1) to define what mobile networks are used based on location? I don't mean turning wireless on/off or even 3G/4G, but the actual network provider that's used.

Reason being that the 3 IRL signal is crap inside my apartment and the phone has a habit of flipping between it and O2 IRL and even Vodafone by itself depending on where I am indoors. 3 support are saying there's nothing they can/will do, but did confirm that I won't be charged extra when this happens.

The O2 signal seems a bit better and the VF actually best of all (which is odd because when I was with them I had the same issues), and I know I can go into the settings and manually select a different network but it'd be handier if say the phone would connect to O2/VF automatically when I pull up in the car, and then switch back to 3 IRL when I leave again.

Alternatively, anyone know where you can get one of those 3-branded signal boosters? I've been keeping an eye on adverts but they're few and far between and I'm aware of the potential legal issues around the "generic" (and far more expensive anyway) amplifiers.

Any suggestions much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Threes femtocells are just that, femtocells not repeaters. They're managed devices so buying one second hand won't work as you cant register your handsets to it.

Just turn off automatic network selection no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ED E wrote: »
    Threes femtocells are just that, femtocells not repeaters. They're managed devices so buying one second hand won't work as you cant register your handsets to it.

Ah ok.. so no solution there then.
    Just turn off automatic network selection no?

True, but then you have to switch manually everytime whereas what I'm after is an app that will automate it, ie:

If at Home (based on GPS or cell towers) switch to O2-IRL
    When not at Home switch to 3-IRL

Llama can do this with WiFi and BT fine but doesn't seem to allow you to switch mobile networks in the same manner you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tasker can do if "within GPS bounds" and if "network operator = "o2" " so I guess it should be able to do this? I've owned a copy of tasker for years but never actually used it so I'm still learning the UI trying to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tasker can do if "within GPS bounds" and if "network operator = "o2" " so I guess it should be able to do this? I've owned a copy of tasker for years but never actually used it so I'm still learning the UI trying to set it up.

Cool.. will check that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

unlike the Vodafone ones

The database of which IMSI is allowed on the femto is in /mnt/mainfs/oam_data/dynamic/backup/*.xml. This file is pushed from vodafone to the AP. The XML file is converted into a database in ../../01010100/Bulkcm.cdb.

To modify and load the new database do the following:

mkdir /opt/alu/fbsr/oam_data/dynamic/restore
    cp /mnt/mainfs/oam_data/dynamic/backup/*.xml /opt/alu/fbsr/oam_data/dynamic/restore/Bulkcm.xml
    vi /opt/alu/fbsr/oam_data/dynamic/restore/Bulkcm.xml
    killall fpu1.vx

• Advertisement
Advertisement