Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow Broadband

• 04-01-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking to get mobile broadband into the house. I live near Crehelp, Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow. I have been looking at a provider called "Wicklow Broadband", does anyone have any experience of them, good/bad or indifferent?

Or would anyone recommend another option.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭blackbox

We use them. They provide a service where we have no alternative.

They're quite good, but we are right at the limit of the range and sometimes it can be patchy. Dropped a few times during recent bad weather, but only for a few minutes at a time.

I'd get fibre if it was available :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I've had it for three years and it has got steadily slower.
    Nominally 7megs, lucky to get 1.5-2megs at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

You can thank them for taking on more customers without investing more heavily in their infrastructure.
    However, I read on here somewhere that 2016 was to be a busy year for them in terms of infrastructure improvements. I can't remember the exact details. I'll see if I can find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Have had them for 3 years now rarely drops below 7mg . And when it does it's usually weather conditions. I did have a router short out during a thunder storms last year, but they replaced it for free. I can get FTTH as I'm 100 meters from the cabinet, but I'm happy enough with Wicklow broadband at the minute.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

blackbox wrote: »
    We use them. They provide a service where we have no alternative.

Same for me.
    Eir / Eircom can not provide more than 1 or 2megs to our estate.
    They promised fiber many times but never delivered.
    This despite the fact that our exchange is less than 1 meter from the next exchange that has fiber!

Reliability is not great.
    Speeds generally 3 to 7meg.
    Wicklow Broadband promised to invest in our area to provide higher speeds and more reliability 3 years ago, but it never happened.

Technical support if poor. Sometimes I have no broadband whatsoever. If I power cycle thier aerial the system will reboot and 50% of the time I will get back online.
    I'd get fibre if it was available :)

+ 1 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 wildwolf1

I've been with them for the past six years or so, because I couldn't get anyone else initially and they went to great lengths to connect me again when I moved house. I find their technical support excellent - I always get to speak to someone and they always give me an honest report of the situation when there are problems. Snow is the main reason I lose my connection. One of the reasons I have stayed with them and not switched is because of their customer service. I get 5MG which what I pay for I know it's not great but service is reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

wildwolf1 wrote: »
    I get 5MG which what I pay for I know it's not great

Not great at all especially when you compare it to what others get for the same money.

If you are getting 5MB then most likley you are paying for the 7MB package which is €39.99 per month. I don't see a 5MB package:

http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/products/broadband/domestic-broadband.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

2011 wrote: »
    Not great at all especially when you compare it to what others get for the same money.

If you are getting 5MB then most likley you are paying for the 7MB package which is €39.99 per month. I don't see a 5MB package:

http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/products/broadband/domestic-broadband.php

I suppose it's location I pay for 7mg and rarely get less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cthulu

I'm surprised to see complaints about Wicklow Broadband. I've had them in for three years, from the point in time where I could get nothing better in my estate. I was nervous about it but they came in, set everything up exactly as I wanted and for the past three years only three outages. I can only assume that in areas where the signal is patchy, that it will result in different experience.

One outage lasted about a day and a half when their providers subsea connection was cut and had to be repaired, the others were for less that a half day (possibly 2-3 hours by recollection, in extremely bad weather where they informed me that their aerial had been knocked off it's housing due to wind.

I test regularly and while there have been a couple of instances where I had around 5 meg down and 1 up, the majority of the time I get a consistent 7 meg download.

Their support has always been helpful, even to the point to giving me recommendations to configure my wifi router when it started to experience problems after a year or so.

*I have no affiliation to WWW BB, just a happy ex-customer as of today :-( who has moved on to fibre broadband. If they could offer up to 70 meg for a more competitive price, I would gladly stay with them.

Advertisement