Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supply Help needed!

Options
  • 04-01-2016 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

So myself and the better half rushed into buying a Graphics Card to upgrade the computer that was built for us.

Long story short the Graphics Card has arrived, unfortunately the spare 8-pin power cable in the case won't fit it.

Graphics Card : Radeon R9 280X
    Requires:
    Power Supply : Seasonic SS-600HT
    Output Cables:

So I'm hoping that someone can help a Newbie find out if I can get a cable to convert, or do I need a different Power Supply?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That 8-pin is not the same as a pci-e 8-pin.

That PSU is really old, so it won't have an 8-pin connector, however it should still work OK with a dual molex to 8-pin adaptor.

It should have come with the card actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Ah sound, that's exactly the kind of adapter I was hoping to find.

When you say it should work OK - is there anything to worry about with that approach?

The only converter with the card was a Mini Displayport to Displayport Adapter...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Nothing to worry really, it's just for overclocking, people like to minimise connectors to the power circut to minimise leakage amd whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Sound out, I've ordered the connector anyway so hopefully will be able to finish the install at the weekend!

Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement