Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expected wireless download speed?

• 04-01-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hello.
    Can I please ask as to the wireless download speed of someone using a UPC Cisco EPC3925 modem.

I get around 20meg to 32meg via wireless on a good night.

235meg via the wired cable to the PC.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends on what your router is able to do, along with the device type you are using whether its b/g/n/ac. Interference is also a problem with distance, walls, other wifi networks on the same channel or even the number of devices attempting to use the network.

Most I've ever seen on WiFi has been around 70's. But you can't really expect to get 240 on WiFi. Its only really worthwhile for Ethernet connections capable of 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Interesting post here

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭dubguy45

Thanks for the replies.
    An iphone4 and an Asus 7" Tab are the only wireless devices. Speed on these can be as low as 6meg until the modem is re-booted. I'm now told there are many dropouts. Just seems a pit poor.

Have read the other posts, thanks for the link, and the technical stuff is beyond my understanding, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Try to change the channel it will make a difference.

Again it's not only the routers, with IPhone4 you will not get the best speed. Newer phones will give you much better speeds.

On Nexus 7 you should be getting around 50-60.

If the router supports 5ghz then it will give you better speed. Again you will need devices which can connect to 5ghz.

Thanks again.
    Will do some studying tomorrow and see if I can improve my knowledge and improve the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

what network card do you have in place? ( assuming here you are talking about a pc/laptop)

what network card do you have in place? ( assuming here you are talking about a pc/laptop)

Desktop is not an issue with on-board gigabit lan. Phone and tablet are the other devices.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

dubguy45 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    An iphone4 and an Asus 7" Tab are the only wireless devices. Speed on these can be as low as 6meg until the modem is re-booted. I'm now told there are many dropouts. Just seems a pit poor.

Have read the other posts, thanks for the link, and the technical stuff is beyond my understanding, unfortunately.

Had an iPhone 4S. Tested at my parents (UPC) 35 Megs tops. New 6S 55 Megs.

Advertisement