Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 NFL Playoffs Thread

Comments

I don't see people on here that limit the discussion to just x super bowl wins.
    Manning is on his way to his 4th SB. That's also a factor. Getting there merits some valid in the discussion.

a lot of people do though guys like dan marino dont get put in the discussion because of sueprbowls and post season success has been used as a stick to beat manning for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

5bdd7e860f9de1f23d86ee390eb76a29.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If you'd predicted the Panthers to get to the Super Bowl pre-season you'd have rightly been locked up in an asylum.

It's just beyond belief that they've been this good all year.

Has there ever been a more shocking Super Bowl appearance (presuming they get there)? I'm struggling to think of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Panthers have just gone to another level since the playoffs began. Absolutely unreal how dominant they are so far in this game just like the first half last week.

Paully D wrote: »
    If you'd predicted the Panthers to get to the Super Bowl pre-season you'd have rightly been locked up in an asylum.

It's just beyond belief that they've been this good all year.

Has there ever been a more shocking Super Bowl appearance (presuming they get there)? I'm struggling to think of one.

with the weapons cam had i had them tipped for a top 5 pick at the start of the year they have been incredible a lot of credit has to go to cam,the coordinators and in particular luke k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

a lot of people do though guys like dan marino dont get put in the discussion because of sueprbowls and post season success has been used as a stick to beat manning for years
    Mario didn't get it done in the playoffs, which is where the real business takes place. There's few crappy teams to beat up on, and you need to beat the best.
    Mario was a hell of a player, but like any sports, it's at the top level you get judged at. In the NFL, that's the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

JCTO wrote: »
    You are asking the wrong person and in fact I have no idea why you are asking me that question to begin with. It is clear I don't care about the GOAT debate but it is clear people will bring it up again. Everytime they go head to head it happens. As to the why as I said you will have to ask those debating either side of the GOAT conversations. I really don't care for it and my feeling on the GOAT are in my previous post.
    Why discuss it if you don't care about it?

I don't agree that it reopens the debate. That's my point and why I directed me reply towards you. Only people who make the argument are Pats/Brady haters who have an agenda they're dealing with.

It should be clear to the neutral Brady had the better career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In case anyone is wondering (and I know you are)....

According to census data, there are approximately 120,000 young children in the city of Charlotte.

by the time Cam retires, they may all have their own ball :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As good as the Broncos D looked against a junk Pats OL they will be up against a real OL in the Superbowl if the Panthers hold on to win this.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

Could make an argument for the Rex Grossman led Bears.

@billbarnwell: Ted Ginns the best player in football, right? Switched teams three times over last five years and theyve gone 62-17-1.

Mario didn't get it done in the playoffs, which is where the real business takes place. There's few crappy teams to beat up on, and you need to beat the best.
    Mario was a hell of a player, but like any sports, it's at the top level you get judged at. In the NFL, that's the playoffs.

thats nonsense though he didn't beat up on terrible teams every year he put up incredible numbers against every team he came up agains several of the greatest defences in nfl history in the playoffs for example the 85 bears (who marino took apart at times) and they where probably not even the best team he played against thats not really a fair reflection of him as a player.

for example if manning defense drags him to a Super Bowl this year how does that Super Bowl show he "got it done when it matters"

edit:take elway for example is he a lesser player if they broncos never sign terrell davis and he does not win a Super Bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wow, that was as bad as you will see

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

The only difference between Brady & Peyton is Brady had a Genius & possibly the greatest coach ever in Belichick on his sideline.

thats nonsense though he didn't beat up on terrible teams every year he put up incredible numbers against every team he came up agains several of the greatest defences in nfl history in the playoffs for example the 85 bears (who marino took apart at times) and they where probably not even the best team he played against thats not really a fair reflection of him as a player.

for example if manning defense drags him to a Super Bowl this year how does that Super Bowl show he "got it done when it matters"
    I didn't say he beat up on terrible teams every year. If you want to start putting words into my mouth, then you can rant away to yourself.

• Advertisement

I honestly believe that if Drew Brees had Belichick and the Pats for his career, he'd be on three of four Super Bowls too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some turnaround from #1 overall pick in 2011. Has this ever been done so quickly? Worst team to superbowl* in 5 years?

*Probably

Pats had number one pick in 84, and super bowl in 86 or 87, I think. Similar again after they took Drew Bledsoe.

The Bills, before the four losses, had a number one pick four or five years prior to the first too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

86, Bears. Not pretty

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

adrian522 wrote: »
    Some turnaround from #1 overall pick in 2011. Has this ever been done so quickly? Worst team to superbowl* in 5 years?

*Probably

Cowboys in the early 90s were the last I think.

• Advertisement

Oh, and the Giants! Eli in 04, SB in 07.

Although thats trades, so cheating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Thomas Davis must be some sort of genetic freak,3 acl's and laying ppl out like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Benimar wrote: »
    Cowboys in the early 90s were the last I think.

Good call there, 91=> 93
    Knex. wrote: »
    Oh, and the Giants! Eli in 04, SB in 07.

Although thats trades, so cheating.

Yeah Chargers were the worst team the year before.

Ah not Davis!

Good call there, 91=> 93

Yeah Chargers were the worst team the year before.

Though the cowboys traded up for that so doesn't really count either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

doesnt look good for Davis, massive loss if he's out

The game needed that Cards TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

The game needed that Cards TD.

Ya was looking ominous for cardinals up to that drive. If Davis is gone then that's a huge blow for panthers

Checked the Bledsoe one. Pats ranked last in 92, draft him in 93, and lose Super Bowl in 96.

Ok, so let's not call this one just yet. That was a pretty impressive drive from the Cards. Up to their D now to get a stop again.

• Advertisement

Though the cowboys traded up for that so doesn't really count either.

They didn't. They were 3-13 in 1988. Finished 1-15 in Aikmans 1st year and had the worst record both years.

Damn. That's gonna cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Peterston you clown :(

Some way to scrap atoning for your mistake, and just going all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

Massive turnaround there. Cardinals would have had good field position to try and make it a 3 point game, potentially going down 24-7 now

Benimar wrote: »
    They didn't. They were 3-13 in 1988. Finished 1-15 in Aikmans 1st year and had the worst record both years.

In 1991 they traded up, you are now going back to 1988/1989.

In 1991 they traded up, you are now going back to 1988/1989.

Yes, took Aikman in 89, won the SB in 93

Very early to call a game but that could be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iatethepies

Carolina were hammering the Seahawks last week and nearly threw it away in the second half. Game isn't over by a long shot.

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Very early to call a game but that could be it.
    Yip too early to call it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Interception city

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Needed to score there, even 3 points, it would be silly to say it's over yet but the Cardinals aren't helping themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This game is just bananas. Two plays, two interceptions.

Even in a one sided game the panthers are so much craic to watch. More please.

Not sure what they have to do for people to take them seriously but this should do it. The whole season their record was being dismissed for various dumb reasons. Lost count of how many "are they for real" articles and posts I read. Started to think I was imagining their existence. But here we are.

It's just not over though when we have all these turnovers happening. All it takes is the Cards to put 7 on the board and it's only a ten point game then and their tails should be up. Get it down to a one score game after that and we'll see what the Panthers are made of then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I love watching Reinebold break down plays using that big fancy touchscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's just not over though when we have all these turnovers happening. All it takes is the Cards to put 7 on the board and it's only a ten point game then and their tails should be up. Get it down to a one score game after that and we'll see what the Panthers are made of then.

True but Panthers are receiving in next half. Tis gas, what the hell was Palmer doing?! I know someone said it many many pages ago but he is really not helping himself. A calamity of errors, from the return fumble to the double interception. Would be very different if it was a 10/7 point game like the Cards should have got it down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is newton elite, or has he just been made look good by this army of hof receivers he's throwing to? Six of them so far tonight.

Also, every time I see Olsen kicking ass I cry a little. Clearly has become a better tight end than martellus Bennett. I support this team because if the bears who are there like peanut, but Olsen hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He also has an excellent line, and that D is pretty damn impressive too which helps take the pressure off :) He has so much talent though, and so much more room to grow potentially

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Is newton elite, or has he just been made look good by this army of hof receivers he's throwing to? Six of them so far tonight.

Also, every time I see Olsen kicking ass I cry a little. Clearly has become a better tight end than martellus Bennett. I support this team because if the bears who are there like peanut, but Olsen hurts.

I'd second what Stringer Bell says. Great O-line which certainly helps. He hasn't got a great set of receivers though. They've all come out of no where to a certain extent this season and have not been consistent at all. For every 60/70 yard TD Ginn gets there are about 4/5 free catches that are dropped. I think he's just been amazing and a lot of it is down to the O-line and also as Stringer Bell says him being able to rely on his D to make some amazing plays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iatethepies

I always think he's being selfish or greedy but he is incredibly effective. How he hasn't picked up an injury this season is beyond me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement