Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 2016, Sunday January 31, 3:00 PM

Options
  • 04-01-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread on this so far? One of my favourite races, it was my first 5 miler, and I've just signed up for my fourth consecutive attempt, my first race of the year. Top class course, with every standard of runner taking part, and it gives you the incentive to really push yourself if you're feeling the (running) love.

So who else is taking part? I might add (for first timers) that it has the best goodie bag of any race I've ever run :)

https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/AXARaheny5RoadRace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I've signed up for this as well, first time doing this race and hopefully will sit well with my marathon training. I've heard nothing but good things about the race so i'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Its a really great race.

Some talk about roadworks on the coast road, will the route change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

RayCun wrote: »
    Its a really great race.

Hope not, there's still room for 2 lanes of traffic even with the roadworks. Should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Its a really great race.

The road works on the coast road (about mile 3.4 to 3.9) had the road down to 1 lane before Xmas, and as such impossible to route the race that way.

However the road-works are now partly cleared, but there are still plenty of disruption in the form of remaining barriers, partial contra flow etc...

I know the race committee have measured an alternate route taking in St Annes Park, however in not sure if a final decision has been made as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've signed up for my 2nd Raheny 5 Mile. Really enjoyed the last one and the support at the end around the small park area is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

What's the course like, could you bag a PB, is wind a big factor in that neck of the woods?

ooter wrote: »
    What's the course like, could you bag a PB, is wind a big factor in that neck of the woods?

It comes back to my previous post about the course layout for this year. If its the original course there is a bit of a drag at mile 3.9 for 1/4mile up watermill road. When you going all out, that drag can be a PB breaker. The wind, can be a factor in mile 2 (Howth Rd), but not usually on the sea front as at that stage you would be heading East and the wind would usually be behind you.

If its the suspected revised course for this year, it will be a bit flatter, however there would be some additional twists and turns through the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Tempted to do it, it's a toss up between this and the Athy Duathlon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    Tempted to do it, it's a toss up between this and the Athy Duathlon.

Ah crap yeah...I'd planned to do the Duathlon. I knew there was something about *that* date when I was mulling over Raheny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Always a good race and this will be my third or fourth year running.

We have over 70 from the club running too so should be a good atmosphere.

Hopefully no change to the course. That hill towards the end is tough but its emblematic of the course and I wouldn't like to see it gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Just signed up! keep me off the chocolate & beers for Jan ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's a great race, I went up last year on my own and there was a great atmosphere. I'd do it again if I got the runners out and did a bit of training again. Goodie bag was huge.

Looks like there will be a change to the usual course (due to the road works on the coast road).

For previous runners, its the same route to the 3 mile mark at Mount Prospect Ave. Then into St Annes park at Red Stables, up the Avenue, to a point. Takes in part of the Park run course (reverse direction), and out at All Saints park (about mile 4.8), and around that as per usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Interesting. Won't be the same without the hill, but I'm sure it'll still be a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Live around the corner now, so going to trot around near the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Interesting about the course change, but Raheny run a great race so should be good.

Will do it for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I signed up. My first race of the year.

Where exactly does it start? I'm going to get the DART to Raheny. Then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I've signed up. First race of the year for me. I ran this last year and really enjoyed it so looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Pink11 wrote: »

I'm sure there will be directions on website closer the time but it is a very short walk from Dart. The start is close to Raheny GAA club and Garda Station.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've signed up. First race of the year for me. I ran this last year and really enjoyed it so looking forward to it!

Just follow the crowds, there'll be loads of runners travelling by train to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Pink11 wrote: »

The race registration/number collection isn't in Raheny Shamrock clubhouse but in the National School around the corner. When you come out of the DART station you walk downhill into Raheny village and then *drumroll* if you walk straight ahead downhill through the traffic lights onto Main st you will see the national school from the end of that street. Or if you turn right at the traffic lights instead of going straight you walk along the Howth Rd for 50 m and you'll see the national school just off a side junction.

Basically you can't get lost no matter which route you take.

I would advise that you use the Raheny GAA club to change, use toilets etc, as the national school is chaotic. No matter how they try to arrange for safe access/egress from the national school inevitably it ends up being a scrum of people trying to get in to collect their race numbers, people angrily trying to hold their ground in toilet queues near the doors, and people trying to get out.

There used to be a bit of a crush at the start (people jostling for space to avoid a sharp left bend after 200m) but now it's banded for a staggered start.
    It's one of my favourite races of the year, organised by a great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Just singing up for the second time. Did it last year and hoping to knock a few minutes off.
    Max ten characters on the custom bib? Curse my long name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've just signed up for my first year!
    Hoping to finish the course in 58 or so.Slow runner but a happy one.
    Do many sign up for this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Interesting. Won't be the same without the hill, but I'm sure it'll still be a great race

No big hill at the end......defo doing it this year! I have entered this race at least 4 times and I have always enjoyed it, even with the hill at the end. The race is always well run and friendly too.....goodie bag is fantastic.

Only coming back from an knee injury post the DCM, so it will be a good one to start off the year for me ;)

All signed up, first race of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Registered - looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks so much for the replies in regards location.

glacial_pace71 - brilliant - appreciate you taking the time to write up the directions, I can't get lost!

Aw fantastic! Hope to see you there, be lovely to meet up again. FORMER DCM novices :D

You too Stevo1983! Missed you at all of the DCM events!

I'll keep an eye out for you Pink11. I'll be in my base layers, just look for a bloke with black arms and legs and a fat head ;)
    Will numbers be posted out does anyone know ?

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for you Pink11. I'll be in my base layers, just look for a bloke with black arms and legs and a fat head ;)
    Will numbers be posted out does anyone know ?

Numbers will be available on the day from the Race HQ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Be doing this again, its my local race so be rude not to.

Advertisement