Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 2016, Sunday January 31, 3:00 PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for you Pink11. I'll be in my base layers, just look for a bloke with black arms and legs and a fat head ;)

You have just described half of the field......including me and all of my mates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

See you there Smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

aquinn wrote: »
    See you there Smash.

Cheers A,
    See you there so....looking forward to it now, first race back post a bit of an injury lay off, so I will be in the middle of the herd (hopefully) ...... you will probably be pushing for a podium finish this year.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Is last year's results anywhere guys? Can't find them.

Is last year's results anywhere guys? Can't find them.

Edit, nevermind, found them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The route map seems to suggest that we enter St Anne's Park from Mount Prospect, skirt around the Rose Garden, an up/down part of the main avenue and then down past the old walled garden/plant nurseries over the bridge, past the bandstand and out onto the road for the traditional finish:

https://www.facebook.com/218769871544456/photos/a.218786778209432.58052.218769871544456/988174044604031/?type=3&theater

This could have fast times: unlike the 'traditional route', runners aren't going all the way down to the coast at sea level to climb back up Watermill Avenue.

Am really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The route map seems to suggest that we enter St Anne's Park from Mount Prospect, skirt around the Rose Garden, an up/down part of the main avenue and then down past the old walled garden/plant nurseries over the bridge, past the bandstand and out onto the road for the traditional finish:!

I think the entrance into the park will be the gate just up from the Red Stables car park and then it is a straight run to the main avenue, left on the avenue, up and down and then left again onto the parkrun course and out on the path that runs along the car track.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This is my interpretation of the route: link. The much-loved 3/4 lap of All Saint's Park at the end, still seems to feature.

Here's a comparison of the elevation profiles:
    375827.png

The look pretty similar, bu the scale is slightly different (you don't drop as close to sea-level and so don't have to climb as much). Not sure what's happening just before the 4.5 mile point (hopefully just a data anomaly, or we might need a step-ladder), but certainly seems a faster route than the standard route.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

what's the parking situation like? Have never been in raheny before so if anyone has a good suggestion it would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

what's the parking situation like? Have never been in raheny before so if anyone has a good suggestion it would be much appreciated

There is a car park just before the church if coming up the Howth Road from the city, there is another one behind Super Valu, one opposite SuperValue, one at the library past the village on the right and also parking around the park on Watermill Road and surrounding roads so there should be plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Hows it going folks?

Just wondering what this event is like for a first timer?

Having never run a race before in my nearly 40 years my wife has decided to sign me up for this. Ive been running a fair bit recently and my most recent 5 mile (8k) was in the region of 45 minutes. I realise this is not world record pace but I was quite pleased. I am starting to get nervous and have the fear that i'll be trailing in last while the sun goes down and being mocked relentlessly while I waddle my way around the course. This seems like a serious business rather than the fun run my wife imagined it to be.

Anyway, best of luck to all and I'll try and stay out of your way.

Hows it going folks?

Having never run a race before in my nearly 40 years my wife has decided to sign me up for this. Ive been running a fair bit recently and my most recent 5 mile (8k) was in the region of 45 minutes. I realise this is not world record pace but I was quite pleased. I am starting to get nervous and have the fear that i'll be trailing in last while the sun goes down and being mocked relentlessly while I waddle my way around the course. This seems like a serious business rather than the fun run my wife imagined it to be.

You'll be fine. Myself and dad ran it for the first ime last year. Your about same pace as me da. There is a great atmosphere at this. I reckon you'll be back on this thread Sunday evening delighted you took part. Support from the crowd is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hows it going folks?

Approx 700 people finished slower than 45 min last year.

And even if you were the very last of the 700 behind you you would not be mocked whatsoever.

Enjoy it - your wife picked an excellent race for your first.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

How do I register my daughter for the kids race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    How do I register my daughter for the kids race ?

http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/axa-reheny-5-2015

All info re kids races is in the FAQs at the above link

Thanks Bungy Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Signed up yesterday, first race since DCM, can't wait! Did it last year and it was excellent, couldn't believe the turnout for it, just wasn't expecting that many participants. My first experience of running in a big crowd race, it's fantastic!

Anyone check the local weather forecast for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Rain!

niallo32 wrote: »
    Rain!

Ah sure, it will keep us cool if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Good luck to all running tomorrow. Work is keeping me out of stewarding duties.
    Pity really cause I'm a hell of a clapper!
    Enjoy.

niallo32 wrote: »
    Rain!

Thank god for that, I was worried I would have nothing to moan about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Can one still enter the 5 mile race? Tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

You cannot enter on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

diego_b wrote: »
    You cannot enter on the day

That's a pity. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck to all taking part. It's there to be enjoyed, so make the most of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Approx 700 people finished slower than 45 min last year.

And even if you were the very last of the 700 behind you you would not be mocked whatsoever.

Enjoy it - your wife picked an excellent race for your first.

Thanks all for the encouragement - looking foward to it now! Might treat myself to a swift half afterwards as a little reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I just finished off the Xmas selection boxes and now I've a whole new load of junk to get through! Great race and bag ;) well done to organisers and volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Great race as usual. Well done Raheny.

Can we have the old course back though?! Found the new course OK but hoping the old course will make a welcome return next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well? How did everyone get on?

Seems like a day for character building rather than PB chasing.

Advertisement