Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 2016, Sunday January 31, 3:00 PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Great course. Great organisation and atmosphere.
    Awesome goodie bag :)
    Wind was in the face on a couple of long drags but nothing terrible.
    Got a pb but my 5m pb was soft enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Really enjoyed today, very impressed with the slick organisation.

I liked the course for the most part, except for the long period uphill running against those ahead of us who were on the return back down the hill. It seemed never ending at the time, but was very enjoyable when it was our turn to do the return leg downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I got a 2 minute PB :D Well organized race, as usual. Enjoyable enough, though I found the long stretch in the park tough going! Never ending story indeed! :P

Also grateful to all the volunteers and marshalls who were cheering to the end. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

That was some goodie bag, well worth the €20.

Enjoyed it despite me going out too fast and struggling for the last 3k, especially that drag up the avenue.

That was my first time but I liked the course, if they could make a loop in the park rather than an up and back it'd be very nice I think.

Either way, great race and it may become a regular one for me over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A pics here. It's a bit Crusaders-centric but plenty of others too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/albums/72157663974262062

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Really enjoyed it. Anticipated bad weather didn't materialise.

Great goody bag and the plaque makes a nice change.

Crowded start with lots of 'slow' runners up the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Managed a two minute PB with a tome of 34:35, delighted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Some more start and finish photos here - more to follow over the next day or so:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157663446344779

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I'd just echo what everyone said about the goodie bag: great, as always.

Good to see the crowds out to cheer people on at the start and finish. (I felt sorry for the kids' races though, as there were some runners out warming up, not giving them any respect).

The first three miles were the 'traditional' route, so I knew what to expect. The up/down the avenue of the Park was tough though. I'd ran it once before, on a Christmas 'mile' (c. sub-1,500 metres) the length of the avenue, so was prepared for it being deceptively long: the tree/wind tunnel effect and seeing the other runners coming in the opposite direction does unsettle you, as you keep expecting to see the "turn" any minute even if rationally you know you should be expecting to go a few mins in that direction.

Was it short? No. I heard someone say they thought it was just on 5 miles, but that person might've trimmed a few corners/mounted pavements on a couple of the bends. I measured it as 5.06 and I think most others got the same.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1034824683

(I think the GPS gets a fright when you do a sharp u-turn. Also there were trees and a dip down to a bridge, which mightn't get picked up properly by some devices).

Well-organised and friendly as ever. One thing I'd say though is the starting waves: the commentators did need to emphasize that there's a sharp bend near the start, and that the first 5 or 6 rows of runners are sub-30 min men and women: for them the 10-15 secs of weaving is a big deal to their times. However, I can't see how Raheny can force people to take an appropriate starting position in the scrum. (Asking them to declare a target time as part of the registration process would be unrealistic, as there's still ultimately 3,000+ people to get through a first mile that has three sharp bends).

Overall though it's one of the best races in Dublin, and my favourite. I just hope they don't ever fall for the trap of upping it to a 10k: they've now three decades of tradition behind the event, and it works well as a winter road race.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Tough going into the wind, but I managed to get a Raheny 5 Mile PB of 35:29, beating my first effort by over half a minute. Report may(not) follow shortly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    A pics here. It's a bit Crusaders-centric but plenty of others too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/albums/72157663974262062
    eoinín wrote: »
    Some more start and finish photos here - more to follow over the next day or so:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157663446344779

Great photos, Lads. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Really enjoyed the race - 1 minute of a pb for me but 33 secs short of going sub 40! The first k or so was very tight. And hard to get moving. Felt strong enough apart from the never ending drag in the park were the only thing in the world I wanted at that moment in time was to be coming in the opposite direction!

What a goody bag ! Kids very impressed ! They will have big expectations for the next race I do! But the best thing of all for me was the trophy ! My first one ever. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well done to Raheny on a good race, it always rains when I do it, so that's my fault.
    Got my fastest time on the course so far.

Goody bag was a real goody bag, maybe too much in it :)
    Energy drink went straight into the bin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Anybody see the small grey dog running with the pack on the Howth Road. He was outside of the tape, and really moving, probably sub 5min pace ??

If he kept going at that pace he would have given Mick C a run for his money :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Yesterday was my first time running this race, well organised and the kids races really added to the atmosphere. It was my first race of the year and after a calf injury I was keeping the pace handy enough. But the calf let go just as we came back into the park. Nursed it home from there finishing in 46 minutes.

As many have already said the goody bag was something else, enough chocolate to put you into a diabetic coma.

Now for a scan and look forward to next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Anybody see the small grey dog running with the pack on the Howth Road. He was outside of the tape, and really moving, probably sub 5min pace ??

If he kept going at that pace he would have given Mick C a run for his money :)...

Yeah, I saw him, he was pegging it. I was afraid he was going to be squashed by a bus though, he was in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 McRhinoskin

Great race as usual,my second time watching.i couldnt do it as did a crossfit session,but turned up to see my team-mates do the business,some child even gave me their trophy,result,not often you get some bling for nothing.Some of the lads were a bit dissapointed with no soup though 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Great race as usual,my second time watching.i couldnt do it as did a crossfit session,but turned up to see my team-mates do the business,some child even gave me their trophy,result,not often you some bling for nothing.Some of the lads were a bit dissapointed with no soup though 7/10

Great race but only 7 out of 10? Seems harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Great race as usual,my second time watching.i couldnt do it as did a crossfit session,but turned up to see my team-mates do the business,some child even gave me their trophy,result,not often you get some bling for nothing.Some of the lads were a bit dissapointed with no soup though 7/10

Agreed.
    Only spectating myself too, but disappointed to learn from finishers that there wasn't even microwaveable soup in the goodie bags. 7/10 seems a bit generous with that in mind. This would never happen down the road in Clontarf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I enjoyed the race.....which is a bad thing and I should have pushed myself harder. still did 32.24.

My garmin went through 5 miles with about 75m to go.

Plenty of chocolate in the goodie bag. Just about to have a wallnut whip and a toffee crisp....nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Great Run, great day and a surprisingly unhealthy goodie bag. Did it in just over 42 minutes which was pleasing. Seemed to be a great atmosphere around the place as well.

Well done to the organisers.

The question is whats next? Do they still do that Samsung night run? Would like to give that a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

The Raheny 5 has never had soup! 3.30-4pm is, in my opinion, the time of day for biscuits and flapjacks and cake and tea and coffee! No one eats soup at 4pm - you'd spoil your dinner!

(In all seriousness, though, if anyone was about to collapse from lack of savoury food, the Last Lap Café outside sells Pot Noodle / Koka Noodles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Boards has finally let me back in after the ddos thing, so belated congratulations to everyone on their great runs on Sunday, I read all your reports, but couldn't click 'thanks' /'like' on Sunday, so take them as liked. Glad you all got on so well :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great Run, great day and a surprisingly unhealthy goodie bag. Did it in just over 42 minutes which was pleasing. Seemed to be a great atmosphere around the place as well.

Well done to the organisers.

The question is whats next? Do they still do that Samsung night run? Would like to give that a bash.

Samsung night run is no more. One, two, three ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There might be a Sandymount one at the start of March but could already be sold out. There is BHAA on Saturday. Depends what distance you are after, there are numerous options.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

The Samsung night run is no more - announced recently it's not going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Really enjoyed this. Well run race, great course, well organised, good atmosphere - couldn't recommend it enough. Kudos to the Raheny Shamrocks. And that goodie bag... woof!! :eek:

I'm actually injured at the moment.:pac: Getting physio to try and rid a niggle once and for all.

Need more races! My next is on March 5th - 10k in the Phoenix Park. Sandymount 10k is sold out.

Anything else on around Dublin in Feb/March. Would love to do a half marathon in March. Is it easy to get public transport from Dublin city centre to the Wicklow gaol half marathon?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bohermeen Half Marathon in Meath, March 13th I believe.

5K on March 20th in city centre as part of St. Patricks fesitval.

Cross country BHAA race in Maynooth on March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

You took a trophy from a child, spectated, then gave the race 7/10 cos there was no soup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

adrian522 wrote: »

Cross country BHAA race in Maynooth on March 5th.

Did maynooth once before, excellent race in great surroundings.

Advertisement