Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 Mile 2016, Sunday January 31, 3:00 PM

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Check out gorun.ie they have a list of nearly all the races in every county from month to month.

Had some physio and laser last night on my calf and already a massive improvement today. Grade 1 nearly 2 strain So not so bad. Another session on Thursday including ultrasound and I might be able for Trim on Sunday if not its into Dune half the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

AAD wrote:
    Had some physio and laser last night on my calf and already a massive improvement today. Grade 1 nearly 2 strain So not so bad. Another session on Thursday including ultrasound and I might be able for Trim on Sunday if not its into Dune half the following week.

Do yourself a favour and avoid Trim. I wouldn't even run a half next week coming back after a strain. The risks are just too high. You could do a lot of damage. Easy running until fully healed.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I've been in 2 minds about calling this out, but I'm still annoyed.

If you watch the race finish video at 51 mins you'll spot the inconsiderate man, who having finished his race decided to walk across in front of the race gantry.

I was on a sprint finish but had to pull back to avoid running in to him. With the adrenaline pumping at the time, my language was much less clean. I really can't believe how inconsiderate he was given that he would have been pushing for the finish himself earlier on.

https://fbcdn-video-b-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xap1/v/t42.1790-2/12657484_1557466957911501_1547828506_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjg1OCwicmxhIjo0MDk2LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InYzXzQyNl9jcmZfMjNfbWFpbl8zLjBfc2QifQ%3D%3D&rl=858&vabr=477&oh=e12a8dab37f971fbc9dac1961bcaaaec&oe=56B13939&__gda__=1454454916_befe7c61fa638b0c54883369ad206329

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Jayd0g wrote: »
    I've been in 2 minds about calling this out, but I'm still annoyed.

If you watch the race finish video at 51 mins you'll spot the inconsiderate man, who having finished his race decided to walk across in front of the race gantry.

I was on a sprint finish had to pull up to avoid running in to him. With the adrenaline pumping at the time, my language was much less clean. I really can't believe how inconsiderate he was given that he would have been pushing for the finish himself earlier on.

https://fbcdn-video-b-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xap1/v/t42.1790-2/12657484_1557466957911501_1547828506_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjg1OCwicmxhIjo0MDk2LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InYzXzQyNl9jcmZfMjNfbWFpbl8zLjBfc2QifQ%3D%3D&rl=858&vabr=477&oh=e12a8dab37f971fbc9dac1961bcaaaec&oe=56B13939&__gda__=1454454916_befe7c61fa638b0c54883369ad206329

I won't post the hilarious and embarrassing photos of me having to pull up behind a man who stopped on the line as I was sprinting right behind him. My husband took about 6 photos (he was the finish line photographer) and I have been an object of mockery among all my friends ever since for my crazy arms and look of outrage as someone got in my way. you're right, with the finish-line adrenaline pumping it feels like a much bigger deal than it is. I'm laughing at myself now but at the time I was outraged :):).

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I won't post the hilarious and embarrassing photos of me having to pull up behind a man who stopped on the line as I was sprinting right behind him. My husband took about 6 photos (he was the finish line photographer) and I have been an object of mockery among all my friends ever since for my crazy arms and look of outrage as someone got in my way. you're right, with the finish-line adrenaline pumping it feels like a much bigger deal than it is. I'm laughing at myself now but at the time I was outraged :):).

I was catching my breath and turning to go back under the gantry and give out. Not normal behaviour for me at all, thankfully one of the stewards came along and asked me to move away from the gantry as it would mess up my time.

My mates still slag me for the photos showing one of the junior girls from the club about to pass me on the line for the local 5k. I was half a second clear, but I dread to think how much worse the slagging would be if she'd passed me.

It really is a small thing to be annoyed about, but I still can't get over how inconsiderate it is. It's like saying "I've had my fun and that's all that matters", a real lack of respect for the other runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

go on, post them!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

eoinín wrote: »
    go on, post them!

oh ok I'll post them so! :)

24622597232_d489dcbc6d_z.jpg

24714209896_2b96ae075e_z.jpg

24444896130_22c965a52d_z.jpg

24112268114_8d84492e72_z.jpg

What a bad husband, holding me up to be mocked! great photos, though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

What a bad husband, holding me up to be mocked! great photos, though :)

you were quite right. He looks quite untroubled, as though he just jogged up to the line and then stopped. Also, no-one fiddles with their bloody watch that long. all you need to do is hit the button at the finish line. In all those pics he's staring intently at his watch. Dick, if you ask me.

davedanon wrote: »
    you were quite right. He looks quite untroubled, as though he just jogged up to the line and then stopped. Also, no-one fiddles with their bloody watch that long. all you need to do is hit the button at the finish line. In all those pics he's staring intently at his watch. Dick, if you ask me.

Ah, no! that's why I didn't want to post them (bad Eoinín!) because I didn't want to be mean about the poor man who obviously didn't know I was behind him. It's all just in the heat of the race finish that I was making such a meal of it - now I'm just laughing at my stupid expressions.

No harm, no foul :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I just love the contrast between your expression and the happy head on the girl in the red coming up on your left! Super pictures and a well-deserved PB, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Compliments to Raheny for organising a great event. The atmosphere is so friendly. I really enjoyed watching the faster runners coming down the avenue in St Anne's as I struggled up it. I preferred the amended route to the usual one btw.

Just a comment on the congestion. With so many runners congestion is inevitable. There were far too many runners ( invariably men) barging there way through the first km or so. The time to find your correction position is before the race starts not after. If you start too far back then you simply have to bide your time.

Well done to HelenAnne on a great run. Your progress since the Stook is fantastic. Interval training clearly works ! The photographs are excellent but I'd prefer to see you back running Eoinin…

Finally, I couldn't get over the number of runners from Crusaders. They were everywhere…. young and old, male and female, fast and not so fast. Very impressive.

Compliments to Raheny for organising a great event. The atmosphere is so friendly. I really enjoyed watching the faster runners coming down the avenue in St Anne's as I struggled up it. I preferred the amended route to the usual one btw.

Just a comment on the congestion. With so many runners congestion is inevitable. There were far too many runners ( invariably men) barging their way through the first km or so. The time to find your correction position is before the race starts not after. If you start too far back then you simply have to bide your time.

Well done to HelenAnne on a great run. Your progress since the Stook is fantastic. Interval training clearly works ! The photographs are excellent but I'd prefer to see you back running Eoinin…

Finally, I couldn't get over the number of runners from Crusaders. They were everywhere…. young and old, male and female, fast and not so fast. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sharkey47 wrote: »

Just a comment on the congestion. With so many runners congestion is inevitable. There were far too many runners ( invariably men) barging there way through the first km or so. The time to find your correction position is before the race starts not after. If you start too far back then you simply have to bide your time.

I think you will find too many slow people started in the wrong position, they shouldn't be near the top 1/3 unless your going sub 35

I think you will find too many slow people started in the wrong position, they shouldn't be near the top 1/3 unless your going sub 35

I absolutely take your point about the slower runners being too far up. Especially the ones with earphones in because they cannot run without them :)

My point is that the streets at the start of the Raheny race are just so narrow that the runners scrambling to get past others at the start were a danger both to themselves and to others. There really was nowhere to go unless you took to the footpaths as many did.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I jumped in around 10ft from the elites/top club runners. I asked a guy beside me what his target time was, to make sure I was in the right spot (my target was 28:55-29:30). He said 36 mins, with a PB of 42mins over the distance. He suggested I move forward. I pointed out that I was 10ft from the front, he just shrugged and smiled. He wasn't alone.... Unfortunately this seems to be the norm in most races I do, no matter how much the organisers try to emphasise the chip timing etc.

Overall, great race, 9/10. Just a bit congested on the Howth Road with only the bus lane available to runners this year. I think in previous years the full Left-hand lane was available to runners. I like watermill road hill, so hopefully that will be back next year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

There really was nowhere to go unless you took to the footpaths as many did.

I disagree with that. I think it was plain old corner-cutting.

From club feedback, I reckon a lot of runners got caught too far back at the start. The traffic congestion on the way over probably contributed to that. We arrived a good 20 mins later than normal because of it. But slower runners starting off too near the front is a continuing problem. One club is notorious for it.

I jumped in around 10ft from the elites/top club runners. I asked a guy beside me what his target time was, to make sure I was in the right spot (my target was 28:55-29:30). He said 36 mins, with a PB of 42mins over the distance. He suggested I move forward. I pointed out that I was 10ft from the front, he just shrugged and smiled. He wasn't alone.... Unfortunately this seems to be the norm in most races I do, no matter how much the organisers try to emphasise the chip timing etc.

Overall, great race, 9/10. Just a bit congested on the Howth Road with only the bus lane available to runners this year. I think in previous years the full Left-hand lane was available to runners. I like watermill road hill, so hopefully that will be back next year:D

I wonder was I that 'guy' :) (Probably not!) But for the first time I think I started in the right place in this race, usually I'm trapped behind people for ages at the start - this time I started maybe 14 or 15 rows back, and I could see people around me who were sort of 34 / 35 minute runners. (I was going for sub 35, and did it in 33.35). A man from an NI club was beside me and said he was going for 28 mins, so I suggested he move up, but I THINK I was in the right place, most of the people around me eventually finished in around the 33-35 range.

As usual, there were a few people jogging slowly ahead of me, but I've given up complaining about that. Some people just don't know - it may be their first big race - and hopefully they'll know the next time.

Compliments to Raheny for organising a great event. The atmosphere is so friendly.

Thank you, from me and the club :).

Full disclosure -- I've only done intervals about twice since Stook. I got very busy with work in the run up to Xmas, but I'm back to it now - I'm racing every 2nd Wednesday and doing the speed sessions the other Wednesdays.

I'm not sure if I've improved or if it's just that there wasn't a big hill in Raheny like at Stook! :pac: Well done you too!

PS I'd love Eoin back running too :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I hope I'm not included in the comment about sub-35. I didn't think I was too far forward, in fact I was surprised to note on Sunday evening that it took me "only" 19 seconds to cross the start line (chip time 35:29, as it turned out). Certainly I passed a lot more than passed me in the early stages, having taken a line towards the outside just in case! Agreed about there being way too many walkers/very slow runners hanging around at the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Some people have no respect, thats the simple fact of it really

Advertisement