Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any electricians/musicians??

Options
  • 05-01-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a 100 watt amp with a European plug. It's 310 watts, 220-240 volts and 50/60Hz.
    First off, is this safe to plug into a standard household socket in Ireland or will something spark/blow?

Secondly, is it safe to use a travel plug as it has a European plug on it?

Any help would be great I don't want to plug it in and blow something!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

ballybkid wrote: »
    I have a 100 watt amp with a European plug. It's 310 watts, 220-240 volts and 50/60Hz.
    First off, is this safe to plug into a standard household socket in Ireland or will something spark/blow?

Secondly, is it safe to use a travel plug as it has a European plug on it?

Any help would be great I don't want to plug it in and blow something!

Yes safe to use, our voltage is 230V 50Hz, as are all the harmonised European countries.

You need to make sure the travel plug is sufficiently rated, I've seen some only rated for 1 amp, it would need to be stronger, your amp will draw about 1.5 amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ballybkid

Yes safe to use, our voltage is 230V 50Hz, as are all the harmonised European countries.

You need to make sure the travel plug is sufficiently rated, I've seen some only rated for 1 amp, it would need to be stronger, your amp will draw about 1.5 amps.

Great stuff thanks, didn't want to take a chance with it after shelling a few quid. Appreciate the insight, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

You could replace the European plug with a 3 pin (our get someone else to do it for you). There will be normal live, neutral and possibly earth wires in the power cable.

Advertisement