Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motherboard fried

Options
  • 05-01-2016 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Went in a plume of smoke... while waiting for the new one to arrive i'm trying to check what else went... Checked the psu with the paper clip method, fan spins and reads fine on a multimeter
    My question is if I connent the gfx card to the psu should the fan spin? or does it need to to be connected to a MB also.. The fan doesn't spin when I tried this.

Although there's no damage to the card that I can see the MB did burn right beside the pcie slot..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don,t think the fan will spin,
    as its not plugged into the motherboard.
    so its not grounded , in electrical terms.
    the chances are the ram chips are ok,
    i,m not a pc ,tech or electrician ,
    you can buy an old pc with a pci express slot on adverts.ie cost 20 euro.
    with cpu, mobo,1gig ram.
    eg pc unit, no keyboard.
    maybe try the graphics card in that .

BASIC CIRCUIT = plus , minus, ground .
    see is there any marks , swollen capacitors on the grahics card pcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

There's no damage to the card I can see, just I thought if hooked to the 6 pin connecter this way the fan might spin at least but I guess what you say makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

maybe try the new mobo, with the 2 ram chips , one in each slot.
    IF it has an on board grahics card , or you have a spare card use that ,
    before you put in the old graphics card from the dead motherboard.

New MB won't have onboard graphics so it might be an idea to try get an old one before and try the gfx card in that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If there was smoke then something has burnt so can you post a pic of the board and the burnt area ?

Ken

• Advertisement

There wasn't smoke as such but a strong burning smell, there's no capacitors in the burnt area more little chips... will try post a pic..

Pic.

Advertisement