Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out in second year , can i get any certification for year 1 ?

Options
  • 05-01-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hello There
    Need some advice on dropping out of my degree course.
    So I am in the second year of a four year course and seriously having doubts.
    Seeing as i am getting on a bit(40ish), this will probably be it for me and third level.
    So i am hoping i could at least get a 'certificate' for passing first year.
    Is it a case of 'all or nothing' or could last years work count towards a lower qualification ?
    The college does run a one year ,fetac level 6 course , which is identical to the first year of the degree course ,which i have completed.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 melanie76c

hi teddyhead - I am also a 4 year mature (40) student. Currently in 3rd year. As far as I am aware, the 1st year gets you nothing. If you finish 2nd year, you are entitled to an exit award, which in your case would be a diploma, if exited after 3rd yr, a degree. The colleges do not advertise these exit awards and are only issued when requested. All it will take is for you to complete and pass your exams in May - would be a shame to waste the last year and half...why are you thinking of quitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Thanks for that melanie. Some food for thought there.Seems sensible to give it till May at least.
    As much as I enjoy the course and the whole buzz of Art college , my particular department seems at times to be quite chaotic and lacking in any direction.
    I dont know if I can sustain myself in this atmosphere of confusion and negativity for the long haul.
    This is not just a personal view , It seems quite prevalent amongst my peers. Even faculty members and staff from other departments are amused/appalled at our lack of facilities and general lack of leadership/direction.
    Our drop out rate is quite high for a second year group. Anyway 'rant over' , thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Hey TeddyHead another 40yr+ student here, I'll be completing my diploma this summer and heading in for a degree. If the course is that crazy get your diploma but find another college to finish your degree. I find it tough going sometimes with job and two kids at home but I know it'll be with it in the end. Only sorry I didn't do this years ago :)

Advertisement