Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic primary schools in Swords

Options
  • 05-01-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

Am I right thinking that there are only two catholic primary schools in Swords - Holy Family Junior National School and Cronin's Junior National School?
    Also, could somebody help me to figure out what is the catchment area of the parish of St Finian for the Holy Family JNS? Is there a map anywhere where it would be possible to check that?

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

munyt wrote: »
    Hi,

Am I right thinking that there are only two catholic primary schools in Swords - Holy Family Junior National School and Cronin's Junior National School?
    Also, could somebody help me to figure out what is the catchment area of the parish of St Finian for the Holy Family JNS? Is there a map anywhere where it would be possible to check that?

Any help is much appreciated!

There's also Scoil Brian Boroimhe and St Colmcilles boys and girls school's. I think informally the valley is the divide between Holy Family and Cronans although I'm not sure how strict that is. I know of kids from Holywell who are in Cronans.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 munyt

There's also Scoil Brian Boroimhe and St Colmcilles boys and girls school's. I think informally the valley is the divide between Holy Family and Cronans although I'm not sure how strict that is. I know of kids from Holywell who are in Cronans.

Thanks very much C.O.Y.B.I.B! Scoil Brian Boroimhe wouldn't be an option for us as I think it's a Gaelscoil and we would struggle with Irish. But St Colmcilles is definitely an option.

Would anybody have any experience regarding waiting in list in any of those schools:Holy Family, Cronin's or St Colmcilles? We are in a strange position at the moment, as we are looking to buy a house in the very near future, but still that would most likely be after the registration is finished to primary schools. I'm trying to decide if it's worth registering now and being put on the waiting list, o come back when we have a house and place a late registration with a hope there will be places left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

According to their enrolment page, the main catchment area for Holy Family is Rivervalley but I know they accept children from the surrounding areas too. There's information and a downloadable Enrolment Policy document here: http://holyfamilyjns.ie/enrolments-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Catchment area for Holy Family is Rivervalley, Ridgewood and Boroimhe. Names are being taken next week for junior infants. Children must be 4 before the end of March I think.... Usually a waiting list but not taken on first come basis. All goes on date of birth and if in the catchment area.

Just remember Colmcilles is all boys or all girls. Not mixed at all.

Cronans can be over subscribed also but don't know details of their enrolment policy.

Thanks very much Dizzyblonde and Lady_North1! I'll try to put the name down in both schools, will probably end up on the waiting list, but that still might be better than registering late.
    Any experiences/ views on Colmcilles all girls school? I only had mixed schools experience myself so wouldn't have a clue how different it would be in all girls school. Is it a nice school in general?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

No experience of girls only school as I sent my two girls to Holy Family. Very happy with the school by the way. Very well run and lovely staff.

Friends daughters all attended Colmcilles girls and they loved it. Personal choice I suppose. Personally I think I'd still prefer mixed. I just feel it's more real to life than all girls.

Where are you living currently?

No experience of girls only school as I sent my two girls to Holy Family. Very happy with the school by the way. Very well run and lovely staff.

Friends daughters all attended Colmcilles girls and they loved it. Personal choice I suppose. Personally I think I'd still prefer mixed. I just feel it's more real to life than all girls.

Where are you living currently?

thanks Lady_North1, good to hear good experiences in any of those schools. We are currently living in Dublin, Beaumont.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughters went to Holy Family and loved it too, but a lot of their friends went to Colmcille's and were just as happy. The main reason I preferred the mixed school was because my daughters don't have any brothers and I didn't want them to be always in a mostly female environment.

Best of luck with the move and school applications, Swords is a great place to live :)

Are you moving to Swords? Bit far to travel from Beaumont every day. ����

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

holy family would for sure be rivervalley and surrounding areas,i live close rivervally but i send my kids to st cronans,i went there when i was a kid and so did all my family,a fantastic school,depends realy on where you live in swords i suppose,the manor,st cronans,abbylea,glasmore,moortown etc etc would be in st cronans.

• Advertisement

The main reason I preferred the mixed school was because my daughters don't have any brothers and I didn't want them to be always in a mostly female environment.

Best of luck with the move and school applications, Swords is a great place to live :)
    my view exactly as I also have two girls. And thanks very much!

Are you moving to Swords? Bit far to travel from Beaumont every day. ����

Yes, we are looking for a house to buy in Swords, so as I've mentioned before it is an unusual situation for us to not only look for a house and a nice area, but also for a school (preferably a catholic one), especially around the time when the enrollments are taking place.

Would anybody know how's the area quite close to St. Cronan's school, around Glassmore Park? We happened to drive through the area another day and there were soft sofa parts placed on the green space near the houses looking nearly burned, with one of the houses having its windows smashed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

munyt wrote: »
    Would anybody know how's the area quite close to St. Cronan's school, around Glassmore Park? We happened to drive through the area another day and there were soft sofa parts placed on the green space near the houses looking nearly burned, with one of the houses having its windows smashed :/

i know that house,and i know the area like the back off my hand,pm on the way..

Advertisement