Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim AC Bewley's 10 Mile Road Race 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

2 checked so far, and as suspected 2 sandbaggers.... Tang and Firedance, ya, yous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I managed under the 1.30 I was hoping for at 1.25. Chuffed.

Good day out, great crowd, etc.. (Especially one local who had some rave music blaring from her car which she had parked outside the house, brilliant. She was roaring everyone on.)

I had to stop twice with a sore leg and a few runners asked me was I ok so again really nice.

I liked the course, nice and scenic, not too many hills either.

The only downside or negative is that there was no medal.

Probably seems like a small issue to most but for me it's annoying especially as the race cost a few quid. I've paid similar for 10ks and got medals so don't see how this should be any different and it's a bigger achievement as a longer distance.

Anyway wouldn't necessarily stop me running it again but I thought it was an obvious omission.

Otherwise good day and delighted with my time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fantastic race Trim AC. Huge thumbs up to all the stewards and everyone involved in this race yee did a great job and reminded me exactly why club races are the ones we should all be doing.

Well marshalled, quick and easy number pick up, great course and what a spread in the hall afterwards. Can't give any negatives to this race.

And a thank you to all the locals who gave up their town for the afternoon for us to race. Roads weren't completely closed but most motorists were calm, patient and courteous to the race taking place. I do say most, but not the clubs fault. :)

Well done everyone, not the best day for racing but far from the worst. Great to see some familiar boardsies too zico, beepbeep, abhainn, Anne(I saw you just before the start and as you ran towards finish I gave you a shout), tang and chinguetti doing what chinguetti does and runs up beside me for a wee chat ;) (I know there was more but sorry I'm brutal)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well organized, enjoyed the race, not appearing in the results, what's the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well organized, enjoyed the race, not appearing in the results, what's the process?

Thinking I seen you warming up, turned to introduce myself and you were gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Well done trim AC and all the volunteers, had a good outing. I had hoped for 77 or to just beat last years what was just under 1:19 and got over the line in 1:14:39 - I'll take all of that and even the 39 seconds :D .

Met Firedance for the 1st time (and we're in the same club) before the off but shes all I know re the boardsies who ran at the minute. So glad I didnt park down at Trim Castle like last year.

Ah **** Firedance, if you were with the Dunboyne gang back in the hall we were right beside each other, didn't even think of it!

Oh I forgot, one downside...with bewleys sponsoring the race I was looking forward to a big box of bewleys best teabags in my goody bag. All I got was a bag of coffee. :p
    Seriously, great to secure a sponsor and clearly some sponsorship from the local Supervalu too so kudos to Bewleys and Supervalu for their support.

€20 was a total bargain for this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

The only downside or negative is that there was no medal.

Probably seems like a small issue to most but for me it's annoying especially as the race cost a few quid. I've paid similar for 10ks and got medals so don't see how this should be any different and it's a bigger achievement as a longer distance.

Anyway wouldn't necessarily stop me running it again but I thought it was an obvious omission.

Otherwise good day and delighted with my time.

Having being involved in organizing a club race, they are generally to raise money for the club, to put back into the facilities etc. Medals cost money which would take from the race profit. All money going back in to the club

New set of speakers needed in that car I reckon but fair play to her she was cheering everyone, loners she didnt even know :)

• Advertisement

Birdsong wrote: »
    Having being involved in organizing a club race, they are generally to raise money for the club, to put back into the facilities etc. Medals cost money which would take from the race profit. All money going back in to the club

Personally I think that's short term thinking in so far as all funds going back to the club.

I've been involved in tennis tournaments over the years and know the cost of medals. Yes there's a cost but it isn't big and in the grand scheme of things it's a momento that might remind someone to run it again next year, tell and show their friends who might also then run it and ultimately cements the sense of achievement.

Again in not saying it's the end of the world as it was an otherwise very well run day but it was a disappointment as j opened my race pack and a silly omission in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ah **** Firedance, if you were with the Dunboyne gang back in the hall we were right beside each other, didn't even think of it!

I was but didn't spot you there, that was me running with Tang in the industrial estate at the start.. nice to 'see' you at least :D

great to see you in the flesh too JMSE!!! well done on your race

Personally I think that's short term thinking in so far as all funds going back to the club.

I've been involved in tennis tournaments over the years and know the cost of medals. Yes there's a cost but it isn't big and in the grand scheme of things it's a momento that might remind someone to run it again next year, tell and show their friends who might also then run it and ultimately cements the sense of achievement.

Again in not saying it's the end of the world as it was an otherwise very well run day but it was a disappointment as j opened my race pack and a silly omission in my opinion.

there were medals being given in the hall afterwards for 1st 2nd 3rd Male/female & other prizes for club teams and age catagories

well done to Trim AC, you put on a superb race, very well run, very well marshalled a big thank you (although I'm with RQ on the teabags instead of the coffee :p)

Each to their own, but, I would have thought it silly to give medals and a total waste of money, however cheap they may be - most people don't want them. Decent medals are expensive enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Oh the wind. T'was bad! Happy with my effort (57.09) on tired enough legs.

You must have been the guy in the yellow top? That was me you just pipped at the line. Tired legs or not, you put in a good finish. You made up good ground, well done.

Well done to Trim AC also, great race. I certainly hope to be back.

Firedance wrote: »
    there were medals being given in the hall afterwards for 1st 2nd 3rd Male/female & other prizes for club teams and age catagories
    p)

You know what I meant so no need to be like that.

Ive given my opinion and reasons so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good day out for me & well done to all in Trim AC. That wind was a bugger and the cold was a shock after waking up to blazing sunshine. Good spread in the hall afterwards too.

One thing that irked me and there isn't much that Trim AC have control over but the amount of dangerous driving I saw by idiots along the route was amazing. Muppets in jeeps and cars who just couldn't pull in and wait a few minutes to let the crowd off or driving along on the wrong side of the road when you came around a bend. And as for the idiot in the Hiace who turned in the finishing straight and nearly reversed over two runners going for the line, I'll just leave it at that.

You'ld hate to be having to run them roads in the dark with a**holes like that driving the roads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Was your number 650 by any chance? Around 1:30 time?

You know what I meant so no need to be like that.

Ive given my opinion and reasons so I'll leave it there.

my apologies, I didn't mean to be like anything, I just mentioned that they were giving out medals, I though that's what you were asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great race today and great organisation, nothing that can be done about the impatient idiots in the cars/jeeps/vans, or the headphone wearing people who have to be pulled out of the path of a fast moving van because they cant hear the warning being shouted by those around them.

The pacers was a bit hard to find at the start but other than that a great race and I will be definitely back.

I was delighted I parked at Trim Castle as it gave me a bit of a warm up and cool down and I got to use the Toilets in the Trim Castle hotel right beside it beforehand and didn't have to que for the portaloos!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great race today and great organisation, nothing that can be done about the impatient idiots in the cars/jeeps/vans, or the headphone wearing people who have to be pulled out of the path of a fast moving van because they cant hear the warning being shouted by those around them.

The pacers was a bit hard to find at the start but other than that a great race and I will be definitely back.

I was delighted I parked at Trim Castle as it gave me a bit of a warm up and cool down and I got to use the Toilets in the Trim Castle hotel right beside it beforehand and didn't have to que for the portaloos!!

Firedance wrote: »
    my apologies, I didn't mean to be like anything, I just mentioned that they were giving out medals, I though that's what you were asking?

No the medals for the elites are a given at these things.

I'm talking about the "participation" medal for want of a better word.

For example I'll be doing the carlingford 10k in a few weeks. They've a nice medal for completion.

Again look it's just my opinion. I think there should a medal for all. I'd even be happy to pay the couple of quid for it on top of normal entry. Maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

PauloMN wrote: »
    Was your number 650 by any chance? Around 1:30 time?

#75 60:17, came in with Paul O'Connell (emerald007) - tnx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No the medals for the elites are a given at these things.

I'm talking about the "participation" medal for want of a better word.

For example I'll be doing the carlingford 10k in a few weeks. They've a nice medal for completion.

Again look it's just my opinion. I think there should a medal for all. I'd even be happy to pay the couple of quid for it on top of normal entry. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks for the feedback, I always keep an eye on what people say on here about the race, both good and bad, and feed it back to the club. We do take all these things into consideration when planning races, and it's next to impossible to cover everyone's wishes while trying to keep the costs down at the same time.

For example, a lot of people say they have literally hundreds of race t-shirts, so the socks was an idea to offer something different that people would actually be able to use.

As regards medals, most people seem to put them straight in a drawer when they get home, so we have to take that feedback into account also especially when deciding what to offer for what cost.

Will pass on your feedback and hope you enjoyed it otherwise!

+1 on the teabags,

"Go Bewleys" well done on the spons.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Clubs struggle to fundraise and generally only get one chance to make a lump sum every year which will be their flagship race which isn't as much as people think after all the costs involved in insurance, timing companies, ambulances and the closure of roads etc and that's before you count thr sheer amount of work and time invested into running these events by members and volunteers, We're talking months. These are necessary costs in running an event and eat into profits until the club only ends up making a few euro per person. A medal and T-shirt should be looked at as a luxury and not expected from these non-profit organisations which give so much back to the community. Would you expect a charity to share some of the profits with the donators? I wouldn't and clubs act very similarly to charities.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I always keep an eye on what people say on here about the race, both good and bad, and feed it back to the club. We do take all these things into consideration when planning races, and it's next to impossible to cover everyone's wishes while trying to keep the costs down at the same time.

For example, a lot of people say they have literally hundreds of race t-shirts, so the socks was an idea to offer something different that people would actually be able to use.

As regards medals, most people seem to put them straight in a drawer when they get home, so we have to take that feedback into account also especially when deciding what to offer for what cost.

Will pass on your feedback and hope you enjoyed it otherwise!

I honestly did enjoy it and that was just my opinion. Fair play on the organising though it was a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Great race, great course and great soup. More and more I see the club races as being my favourite races to do, as generally there's less fuss and hassle with them and there's usually a nice cup of tea\ coffee afterwards.

Regarding race medals, for me they get handed straight to my kids to fight over, as you only get 1 and I have 2 kids, so when I handed them the socks, at least they got one each :) And give me a cup of tea after a race like today any day over a medal.

One gripe is the amount of dig sh!t around the industrial estate, which is not something Trim AC can be blamed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

TBH I hate getting finisher medals. They are expensive and pointless for AC run races. I understand people collecting them for the big events like the half and full marathons but an AC needs these races as their annual fundraiser.

Me, I judge a AC roadrace by the spread put on afterwards. Hot tea and a rake of good ham sammiches and i'm a happy man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

great race ....gutted no teabags in the bag :D

Advertisement