Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim AC Bewley's 10 Mile Road Race 2016

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Been too long. 4 years since my last Meath race.
    In short - Top notch race.
    I was in the 3 rd leading group and found the car traffic very abiding.
    Wind was very challenging in the 2nd half and put to bed a hopeful 55:5x target (& PB).
    First auld man home 56:57.
    Back in 5 weeks for another assault on the HM.
    Couldn't wait for the afters though I heard it was up to the usual excellent Meath standard.
    Kudos Trim AC

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

One lunatic in a dark jeep (Kia maybe) comin from the Dunderry direction twds Trim came flyin around a corner twds us like the road was open to normal traffic, came fairly close to ploughing into a lad who was running on the RHS. Brings it home to me how important marshalling is and how you can never have enough specially over 10 miles. I'll have to volunteer in the future to help out with this kind of thing. Most of the drivers though did have their heads screwed on, and fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Pix from the Mooney clan here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

I managed under the 1.30 I was hoping for at 1.25. Chuffed.

Good day out, great crowd, etc.. (Especially one local who had some rave music blaring from her car which she had parked outside the house, brilliant. She was roaring everyone on.)

I had to stop twice with a sore leg and a few runners asked me was I ok so again really nice.

I liked the course, nice and scenic, not too many hills either.

The only downside or negative is that there was no medal.

Probably seems like a small issue to most but for me it's annoying especially as the race cost a few quid. I've paid similar for 10ks and got medals so don't see how this should be any different and it's a bigger achievement as a longer distance.

Anyway wouldn't necessarily stop me running it again but I thought it was an obvious omission.

Otherwise good day and delighted with my time.

Was it the lady playing prodigy at around mile 7 or 8? That really helped me when I heard smack my bitch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Abhainn wrote:
    Been too long. 4 years since my last Meath race. In short - Top notch race. I was in the 3 rd leading group and found the car traffic very abiding. Wind was very challenging in the 2nd half and put to bed a hopeful 55:5x target (& PB). First auld man home 56:57. Back in 5 weeks for another assault on the HM. Couldn't wait for the afters though I heard it was up to the usual excellent Meath standard. Kudos Trim AC

Nice one. See you next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

MKDTH wrote: »
    Was it the lady playing prodigy at around mile 7 or 8? That really helped me when I heard smack my bitch up!

Yeah I was going to say prodigy but wasn't sure. It gave me a boost as well though.

I could of really done with something containing sugar at the finish rather than just a banana, but the spread in the hall was decent once my hands finally had feeling in them again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

MKDTH wrote: »
    I could of really done with something containing sugar at the finish rather than just a banana, but the spread in the hall was decent once my hands finally had feeling in them again!

Jesus yeah I felt for anyone without gloves on yesterday tbh.

I was doing a 10k locally before, just training, and it was colder than yesterday. My hands were like ice after it. Pain I promised myself I'd never feel again.
    Id rather have hands too warm than too cold, my winter running gloves were a bit much yesterday but not baking hot either. It's a fine line.

I was in shorts yesterday and could have done with having leggings under them. I don't own any though.

Had the under armour long sleeve on thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Last time I looked a banana has been 10 -15gms of sugar!!

I also suffer from cold hands, but don't like racing with them. So whenever I'm in the € shop I'll buy 4-5 pairs for €2 each.
    Yesterday I wore a pair warming up and then ditched them 2 miles into the race.

Jesus yeah I felt for anyone without gloves on yesterday tbh.

I was doing a 10k locally before, just training, and it was colder than yesterday. My hands were like ice after it. Pain I promised myself I'd never feel again.
    Id rather have hands too warm than too cold, my winter running gloves were a bit much yesterday but not baking hot either. It's a fine line.

I was in shorts yesterday and could have done with having leggings under them. I don't own any though.

Had the under armour long sleeve on thankfully.

Yeah I had a long sleeve under armour under my vest and would only normally wear leggings and gloves if it was very cold on an easy run, but normally get very hot when in a race even if it was only 5 or 6 outside!
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Last time I looked a banana has been 10 -15gms of sugar!!

I also suffer from cold hands, but don't like racing with them. So whenever I'm in the € shop I'll buy 4-5 pairs for €2 each.
    Yesterday I wore a pair warming up and then ditched them 2 miles into the race.

Good plan, which could be worth investing with in future but my hands were warm until the 5th mile when I turned into the ice pole! ;)
    Yeah Bananas do, but my body tends to crave bad food, and deserved it after that. Thankfully the cake more than made up for it at HQ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Abhainn wrote: »
    Been too long. 4 years since my last Meath race.
    In short - Top notch race.
    I was in the 3 rd leading group and found the car traffic very abiding.
    Wind was very challenging in the 2nd half and put to bed a hopeful 55:5x target (& PB).
    First auld man home 56:57.
    Back in 5 weeks for another assault on the HM.
    Couldn't wait for the afters though I heard it was up to the usual excellent Meath standard.
    Kudos Trim AC

And a top 10 placing - you looked comfortable in the photos, well done Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aero2k wrote: »
    And a top 10 placing - you looked comfortable in the photos, well done Joe.

everyone made the photos except me :p I hate race photos I always look dreadful in them but reckoned I mightn't have looked quite so bad on Sunday, but not a single photo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Firedance wrote: »
    everyone made the photos except me :p I hate race photos I always look dreadful in them but reckoned I mightn't have looked quite so bad on Sunday, but not a single photo :D

There's one of me in the finishing straight, looks like I took a seizure or something, shocking photo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

JMSE wrote: »
    One lunatic in a dark jeep (Kia maybe) comin from the Dunderry direction twds Trim came flyin around a corner twds us like the road was open to normal traffic, came fairly close to ploughing into a lad who was running on the RHS. Brings it home to me how important marshalling is and how you can never have enough specially over 10 miles. I'll have to volunteer in the future to help out with this kind of thing. Most of the drivers though did have their heads screwed on, and fair play to them.

That was a 161 Kia sportage, as he flew past me I thought I should have gestured him to slow down, then I heard some shouts from behind and saw that runner jump out of the way - lunatic!!

Big kudos to Trim AC, great race, pity about the wind. Was very happy with my performance - went out with a sub 75 pace and was able to maintain it all the way picking it up in the last mile.

Will defo be back again next year.

Advertisement