Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland with Australian Husband

• 05-01-2016 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hoping to find someone else that has either moved back to Ireland with overseas husband/wife or are in the process of doing it. I am Irish and he is Australian.

For those that have done it, I believe he does not need an employment permit as he is my spouse (we have to register our marriage in Ireland first apparently).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/working_in_ireland/coming_to_work_in_ireland.html

What I can't find online is, how long does he have to be a resident in Ireland to be eligible to work?
    Can we register our marriage without needing to live in Ireland and get a head start on the process before moving to Ireland.

Ideally, the sooner he can work the better. Not looking to move for at least a year so we have time on our side.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

From my understanding he needs to register with GNIB and and get a stamp 4.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. Some people make it out to be as simple as showing up with the form and marriage certificate and your passport (irish citizen) and then they will issue it.

Other sources say that it might take 8 months.

As far as I'm aware your marriage certificate from Australia should be enough and you don't need to register in Ireland.

Citizens information says: Your foreign marriage certificate will usually be accepted for official purposes in Ireland where you need to show evidence that you are married. If the certificate is in a foreign language, you must provide an official translation or a translation from a recognised translation agency.

From everything that I've read, we are going the route of showing up. Telling the immigration official that he intends to stay (as i understand it, they give 30days to register as it's not a tourist visa in the normal sense). Going to the Garda station as we are initially residing outside of Dublin.

It seems like this is the most common route for non-visa required nationals.

If they refer us on to apply differently and it takes 8-9 months then we'll deal with that but that seems uncommon. They have a right to be in Ireland but not to work so it's not like he'll be kicked out!

I would also love to hear from anyone who has gone through this before. There is a lot of straight forward information for non-married (extremely difficult process) and visa-required nationals. Non-visa required nationals seem more ambiguous. However, anecdotally it seems quite straight forward.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I have a few friends with GNIB - the main thing is while the service has improved, they still have a virtually non-existent reservation system. It's a ticket + wait deal, so people turn up an hour before the office opens, so be prepared for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Norinoco wrote: »
    Hoping to find someone else that has either moved back to Ireland with overseas husband/wife or are in the process of doing it. I am Irish and he is Australian.

For those that have done it, I believe he does not need an employment permit as he is my spouse (we have to register our marriage in Ireland first apparently).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/working_in_ireland/coming_to_work_in_ireland.html

What I can't find online is, how long does he have to be a resident in Ireland to be eligible to work?
    Can we register our marriage without needing to live in Ireland and get a head start on the process before moving to Ireland.

Ideally, the sooner he can work the better. Not looking to move for at least a year so we have time on our side.

Cheers.

Its simple, just tell them at the airport hes your husband and he will take a picture of you and put you in system, then just go to your local garda station and get it confirmed.
    I was seriously worried about it but was a piece of cake

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

astonaidan wrote: »
    Its simple, just tell them at the airport hes your husband and he will take a picture of you and put you in system, then just go to your local garda station and get it confirmed.
    I was seriously worried about it but was a piece of cake

So he will be able to work after everything is confirmed by the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Norinoco wrote: »
    So he will be able to work after everything is confirmed by the gardai?

Yeah they give you a number which shows you have right to work in Ireland. It takes a week for your identification card with the number on it to come back.
    Once you start work then you get a letter of employment from the work place and head in and get your pps number (You cant get a pps number without a reason in Ireland total madness, so letter of employment, adding him to your social claim, just has to be something) besides the pps which is annoying actually being able to work in ireland takes less than a week, PPS you have to make a appointment to get it, but if working you get all the tax back as its emergency tax

• Advertisement
Advertisement