Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant veg now?

Options
  • 05-01-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Any veg I should be planting in the ground outdoors now?
    I look after a small garden with a veg patch. Usually I'm just clearing away the dead stuff around now.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

generally you wouldn't plant until late march trough april and may, if you have a green house or a few trays inside a warm room by a window you could start cabbages and other brassicas in mid febuaryif you wanted.

best thing to do now is dig in some manure into your garden if you haven't already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Cheers! Perfect answer, I can be lazy a bit longer! Or just tidy up get things ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Garlic benefits from being in the soil at colder temperatures

Garlic, I'll get some so.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

You can put onion and shallot seed in a tray on the Windows now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have planted seeds in a tray on my window sill. About a month later in May, I planted same seed outdoors. They both matured at exactly the same time. Now I just wait until I know the weather will be getting warmer and plant direct in to the ground. Get your soil right and prepare for slugs to eat all your baby plants. I just purchase the blue pellet slug killers from Dealz at €1.50 and they do the job.
    I plant my potatoes during St. Patrick's Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Waste of time planting outside until soil tempt goes above 7 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

If the ground is very wet and cold, garlic could rot before it gets a chance to establish roots so it might be better to start off in modules outside for planting in ground in the spring. From what I've read, it gives good results.

I have galic at home that has started to grow in the press, can that be used to grow more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

gsi300024v wrote: »
    I have galic at home that has started to grow in the press, can that be used to grow more?

yes but their is more of a risk of problems such as white rot, that said aslong as you grow them in soil which hasn't already gave you a crop of alliums (onions ect) this year thats not really a problem. you might not get as good a crop as you would from certified seeds but it won't be much different

• Advertisement

My garlic in the press has start to sprout, could I plant that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it supermarket garlic sold for consumption? that will grow for you, but you're better off getting hard neck garlic which does better in our climate.

OH yeah true, if it is grown in a different country it might not do well here. Good point!

Advertisement