Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Shannara Chronicles [MTV] [** Spoilers **]

• 05-01-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Just spotteda trailer for this, starts tonight on MTV (I presume stateside).
    10 episode season.
    Can't post actual link but can be found here

I loved this series of books having first read them over 20 years ago, and the origional book The Sword of Shannara was nearly 20 years old at that stage (1977).
    Must be close to 30 books in the series by now fro Terry Brooks, including the prequel series
    Knight of the Void etc, very interesting, if a little clunky, how he managed to evolve a fantasy series set in the modern Earth to the Shannnara series
    so a huge source of material to work with.

But it is MTV making it so I'm afraid it will look like a teenage version of Lord of The Rings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good buzz about it actually. Some pretty positive reviews popped up on my facebook feed last night.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/1/4/10708672/chronicles-of-shannara-review
    The solid acting, amazing cinematography and intriguing plot are helped along by hints of the strange world in which Chronicles takes place. The special effects — one of my biggest concerns for the show — are fantastic, leaning on CGI when necessary, but still relying on a lot of practical effects to ground the fantasy series in a sort of warped reality. I was particularly taken with my first sighting of this world’s trolls. By the third episode, set to air next week, my wife, my 14-year-old son and myself were all hooked.

And that’s the real magic of this show: It blends the appeal of high fantasy with the grounding of a post-apocalyptic, yet seemingly healthy planet to deliver something both familiar to fans of today’s big shows and unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bought the Sword of Shannara trilogy having read LoTR and while waiting for book 8 or 9 (maybe neither) of Wheel of Time.
    HATED all three books, and only finished them because I had bought them as one large trilogy set. Worst fantasy books I have read. All felt like the bit in LoTR before they get to the elven kingdom for the first time - they just never got going really, imo.

Would consider anything by Feist, Gemmell or Goodkind (Sword of Truth series) as far better. Have always felt a lot of Gemmels books should get TV or movie treatment, Legend and the associated books could be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

The Shannara books were the first fantasy series I read, even before LOTR so I have a particular grá for them. Having said that, I did find the storylines in later books a bit repetitive.

I'm looking forward to checking this out some time, currently have no tv or access to 'other sources' and it'll be a few weeks yet before I do.

Huge amount of tv to catch up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

It's been absolute ages since I read any Shannara Books. I only remember bits and bobs. He wasn't the most riveting storyteller in terms of writing style but the payoffs were often worth it...he wasn't always predictable or wedded to happy endings. So though some might consider his work dated I think it might actually translate fairly well to TV if done right. I'm not expecting this to be great especially since it seems to be going for a young(ish) demo on MTV. But it might be watchable enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Rhys-Davies & James Remar in it so that was good enough for me to watch it.

The first three episodes are out and I enjoyed it not knowing anything about it before sitting down to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Would consider anything by Feist, Gemmell or Goodkind (Sword of Truth series) as far better. Have always felt a lot of Gemmels books should get TV or movie treatment, Legend and the associated books could be amazing.
    You have heard of the Legend of the Seeker TV show? Worth watching for the lesbian ninjas if nothing else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I enjoyed it, but was a big fan of the books when I read them (they're not good tbh, I was just young so bit of nostalgia for them, and other than LOTR, had never read anything like them), so I was probably going to enjoy it no matter. Only thing that caught me off guard was how Allanon looked. Not what I had in my head at all for him. Always had more of a Gandalf or Merlin sort of vibe of him in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

John Rhys-Davies & James Remar in it so that was good enough for me to watch it.

The first three episodes are out and I enjoyed it not knowing anything about it before sitting down to watch it.

Also watched the first three episodes, never read the books, also enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Watched the first 4 eps last night, terrible acting (apart from JRD, Austin Butler and Manu Bennett) and some really terrible dialog ("did he get you knocked up?") , but has some great fantasy elements. Reminds me of the Eragon movie, looks great but meh. I'll watch till the end though, I'm sure the actors will grow on me eventually......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I've watched the first three episodes, currently watching the fourth. (Haven't read the books.) It's fairly mindless tv, which can be a good thing. I'm enjoying it. The fifth episode isn't being released until the 26th of this month, so an almost-three week wait for the next episode unfortunately.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Watched the first 4 eps last night, terrible acting (apart from JRD, Austin Butler and Manu Bennett) and some really terrible dialog ("did he get you knocked up?") , but has some great fantasy elements. Reminds me of the Eragon movie, looks great but meh. I'll watch till the end though, I'm sure the actors will grow on me eventually......

It's MTV so that's to be expected :p At least, I knew to expect it having watched MTV's "Scream" tv series last summer. I've noticed many parallels between the two shows, despite the entirely different premises.

• Advertisement

I found this surprisingly great. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

This.Is a bit of a wierd one for me. Obviously it is trying to feed off the LOTR and GOT success. I always had a bit of a soft spot for Brooks, apart from his latest stuff which is a bit meh. Favorite books for me were the Scions series as think they were his best work. Hopefully they will do that in series 2 etc... If it survies the 1st series.

As for the tv show, stunning visuals TBF. Not sure I like the way they just seem to hop from place to place as if it doesn't seem that far apart. In the books from what I remember, it was much more difficult and much further apart.

Watchable enough, seem to follow the book well enough but with some differences
    didn't the changling survive much longer in the book before it was discovered and kill the king of the elves before it was distroyed? Have a feeling they change the plot and have one of the princes kill the father. My guess anyhow.

Don't like Will character protrayal though, very annoying for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

This.Is a bit of a wierd one for me. Obviously it is trying to feed off the LOTR and GOT success. I always had a bit of a soft spot for Brooks, apart from his latest stuff which is a bit meh. Favorite books for me were the Scions series as think they were his best work. Hopefully they will do that in series 2 etc... If it survies the 1st series.

As for the tv show, stunning visuals TBF. Not sure I like the way they just seem to hop from place to place as if it doesn't seem that far apart. In the books from what I remember, it was much more difficult and much further apart.

Watchable enough, seem to follow the book well enough but with some differences
    didn't the changling survive much longer in the book before it was discovered and kill the king of the elves before it was distroyed? Have a feeling they change the plot and have one of the princes kill the father. My guess anyhow.

Don't like Will character protrayal though, very annoying for some reason.

Nailed the spoiler :pac:

Enjoyable enough if mindlessly silly. The two female leads are hot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Watched this recently, pure popcorn TV but I must say I kinda enjoyed it and I'm glad it got renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The first episode was on last week. Glad there was a good long "previously" segment because I couldn't remember very much about season 1.

Decent start to the season. Lots of new characters.

Finished season 2 last night. Very good season overall. The last 4 episodes were a bloodbath with lots of main characters being killed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Paramount passed on a Season 3, is being shopped to other outlets
    http://tvline.com/2018/01/16/shannara-chronicles-cancelled-spike-tv-paramount-no-season-3/

Advertisement