Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking space responsibility

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

athtrasna wrote: »
    That would be classed as vandalism of management company property. The MC owns the car park.

get their permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

get their permission

Unlikely to happen. The directors are charged with acting in the best interests of the development. This would benefit one unit only and would set a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I once saw a car parked really badly in a hotel car park, over the white line into the neighbouring space.

There was an angry note on the windscreen, to the effect of:

"Next time leave a ****ing tin opener so that the person next to you can get into their ****ing car."

lol, no joke, but someone had left one of those notes on our car back in 1986! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I once saw a car parked really badly in a hotel car park, over the white line into the neighbouring space.

There was an angry note on the windscreen, to the effect of:

"Next time leave a ****ing tin opener so that the person next to you can get into their ****ing car."

I would just preface it with the opening greeting

"Dear A$$hole"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

lol, no joke, but someone had left one of those notes on our car back in 1986! :pac:

I don't know exactly where I saw it but I still remember seeing that note! So funny.

Almost as useful as yelling at a cloud: :pac:

oldmanyellsatcloud_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You could try light a fire under the landlords ass by getting the prtb involved.
    Your landlord is not keeping their side of the bargain - supplying you a parking place.

If the other place is being rented out you could complain about antisocial behaviour by the tenants to the prtb also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

There is a page on facebook called "Bad parking ireland " post a picture on that everytime they park badly take a screenshot and leave it on their windscreen everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Parking in apartment blocks is beyond annoying and regularly leads to difficulties.

Where I used to live, my allocated space had an abandoned car on one side (didnt move once in the 18months we lived there), but the car on the other side was a nightmare. I occasionally had the same difficulty as yourself (parking over the lines) but my main issue is that the car itself was a bit of a banger and the person didnt care. they would whack their door open and leave little dings in my paintwork. At one point they actually chipped my paint work on my (2015) car - i nearly cried. I know it was them as I hadnt been anywhere else other than work and my parking in work doesnt have anyone on that side.

The unfortunate thing is that there is so little you can do. I couldnt prove who caused the damage and as for the bad parking, the management company weren't willing to get involved.

I just started parking in the visitor car park, annoying, but better than having my car damaged again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭thebiglad

In my estate the spaces are slightly small - I think the developers were required to provide x number of spaces in the planning and merely adapted the space they had provided anyhow to be that number by slightly narrowing the bays.

I drive a large estate and if park next to anything but a hatchback etc, even if we are both central in our bays (which often isn't the case!) then it can be tough to get in/out.

I presume your issue is his passenger side v your driver side so could you offer them to switch bays, i.e. they use your and you use theirs, in that way the problem passes down the line (which is no longer your problem).

If it caused by 2 large cars trying to accommodate into 2 normal sized bays and your neighbour 1 bay up has a smaller car perhaps the problem is removed.

Alternatively when they are out, park your car right up to the line of the bay and leave it there for a few days, it will force them further over and eventually they might get the message or learn to park properly,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

athtrasna wrote: »
    Unlikely to happen. The directors are charged with acting in the best interests of the development. This would benefit one unit only and would set a dangerous precedent.

surely it helps everybody by making everybody know that they have to respect everybody else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

surely it helps everybody by making everybody know that they have to respect everybody else

Nice thought but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

proozie wrote: »
    I've already talked to the neighbour and landlord - the landlord asked the management company who said they can't (or won't) do anything, and the neighbour just ignores me.

I'm surprised to hear that there's not more of an onus on the management company to take responsibility for this. Surely the terms of the parking license are being broken by the other resident in which case the license could be rescinded and it would become a trespassing matter if they continue to use it, and also my landlord's license is not being granted fully since the allocated space is not available? Would there not be some clause to not cause any annoyance to other residents of the block?

It's a bit frustrating that my best option is to go tit-for-tat and block off their space and hope they get the message at how annoying it is. My only other option seems to be to force my landlord into doing something to deliver on something that was promised (potentially would need to bring a civil case against the other resident), which will obviously strain relations with my landlord.

I used have a space with a concrete pillar at the entry to the space which was about one foot square, probably more in fact, encroaching more than 6" into my space, I usually reversed into the space so it would have been on the drivers side and left plenty of space to open the drivers door even if I kept the front wing very tight to it. Keeping close to the pillar left space at the other side to get the then very small kids in and out.

The problem arose when the space on the other side became normally occupied by a van. By necessity, they would also reverse into the space, leaving their drivers door beside my car. Their early parking left a lot to be desired, encroaching on and sometimes crossing the line. I'd normally have been no more than 3 or 4 inches from the pillar on the drivers side and am plenty comfortable with tight spaces but when they encroached and were parked before me, I simply switched to parking as close as possible to the van leaving it impossible to open the drivers door of the van. Whenever the van was reasonably centred in the space or not there before me, I left as much room between us as physically possible. It didn't take very long to develop an understanding.

You don't have to go full tit for that, just use the extremes of your own space to develop the understanding that theres a need for mutual respect. If you're not fully comfortable getting really tight on their side, is there someone else who could do it for you a couple of times? Drive or reverse into the space such that it leaves your drivers door in the other side of the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Try being a director on the board of a management company and it'll soon disabuse you of noble ideas like this.

It's hard enough taking responsibility for the estate, monitoring the agents; chasing people for fees and taking flak - all voluntarily and with little or no thanks from residents, I might add.

Last thing you need on your plate is to also have to adjudicate in every domestic spat that flares up between residents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You could try light a fire under the landlords ass by getting the prtb involved.
    Your landlord is not keeping their side of the bargain - supplying you a parking place.
    The landlord is supplying a parking space! The landlord cannot be expected to stand in the parking space when the o/p is not parking in it to ensure that there is no encroachment onto it. Some parking spaces are leased with the apartment by the developer from the start and are not occupied by the management company who then merely own the fee simple reversion.
    The dispute is between the o/p and the encroaching neighbour. The o/p should take photographs, call to the offenders door about the issue every time it happens, take more photos and then send a solicitors letter threatening an injunction together with a claim for damages for loss of amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

An injunction???

And what damages exactly have been suffered? It's an annoyance but nothing to sue over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

TheChizler wrote: »
    An injunction???

And what damages exactly have been suffered? It's an annoyance but nothing to sue over.

There is trespass which is actionable without proof of damage and if the o/p cannot park in the parking space there is a loss of amenity which is interfering with their home and family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Many moons ago we had a parking space which was beside a wall. This was an underground carpark. The space beside us had a pillar. Whoever owned the space constantly parked over the line making it possible to fit a car in between their car and the wall. We left notes and it never changed. The spaces weren't huge but the car was only a chiquichento sized yolk.

So one night we had friends over and after a few drinks a group of very pissed lads went down and shuffled the car so that it was centered and jammed between the wall and the pillar. No damage, just impossible to get out easily.

I'd like to say they stopped parking across the line but in truth we never ever saw the car in the carpark again. Made me feel kinda bad for a nonosecond.

Advertisement