Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi a4 oil options

Options
  • 05-01-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I looking to service my 07 a4 1.9tdi (115) and i was looking on Micks Garage to see what oil i can get. I got it serviced at Audi last time and they used Castrol edge 5w30. Looking on micks garage i seen a castrol magnetic fully synthetic oil but im bit confused as there is so many.
    So my first question is:
    Is there a difference in magnetic or edge for Castrol oil
    Also what does c3, c1, a1 stand for? are these additives or something
    Basically which oil would you (The People) recommend
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The only relevant spec you need to look for is the manufacturer's spec.

In your case you have a choice of 2:
    VW 505.01 (fixed interval servicing only)
    VW 507.00 (fixed or variable intervals)

Castrol Edge 5w30 meets the 507.00 requirements but Magnatec does not so even though they are both 5w30 fully synthetic C3 spec oils Edge is the only one that is suitable for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

The only relevant spec you need to look for is the manufacturer's spec.

In your case you have a choice of 2:
    VW 505.01 (fixed interval servicing only)
    VW 507.00 (fixed or variable intervals)

Castrol Edge 5w30 meets the 507.00 requirements but Magnatec does not so even though they are both 5w30 fully synthetic C3 spec oils Edge is the only one that is suitable for your car.

So i gotta go with the most expensive. Would it make a difference if i went with the Magnetec?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

or drop into your local vw/audi/skoda dealer - they usually do a decent deal on 5l of quantum oil (the one they use themselves), filter and sump plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

well for just under €60 i can get the oil, oil filter and air filter from that site, but only if i go with the Magnatec Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Castrol Edge 5w30 meets the 507.00 requirements but Magnatec does not so even though they are both 5w30 fully synthetic C3 spec oils Edge is the only one that is suitable for your car.

IIRC Magnatec is a Group III HC and Edge is a Group IV, so they're only both full-synth outside of Germany. ;)

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    IIRC Magnatec is a Group III HC and Edge is a Group IV, so they're only both full-synth outside of Germany. ;)

Edge is a better oil, there is no doubt about it. I was just making the point that all 5W30 C3 spec oil is not the same.

So i gotta go with the most expensive. Would it make a difference if i went with the Magnetec?

You asked which oil you need for your car. I answered your question. What you choose to do after that is irrelevant. You can go into a motor factor and get 5L of 10W40 for a tenner if you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Edge is a better oil, there is no doubt about it. I was just making the point that all 5W30 C3 spec oil is not the same.

Quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

George told you the right spec oil. Castrol edge is probably the most expensive oil that meets the spec you need. There are many cheaper oils that are approved or meet the spec you need. You can use any oil that meets vw spec 507.00 or 505.01. Any other oil that doesn't have those numbers on it is the wrong oil.

Advertisement