Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB beginner gear and bike recommendations.

Options
  • 05-01-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Bike to work is alive again and seeing the lads on MTB'S in Ticknock has me thinking for Jan and Feb might do some trails.
    Any tips for a bike about 1.5ish to spend....
    I can add the necessities later I have the basics from road cycling to start me off.
    Gloves, helmet....
    Any enlightment to the dark side would be great.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd buy a 100 - 200 euro 26inch hard tail and get used to it before spending that type of cash, something like this :

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/giant-talon-3/9318770

Very capable bike for the likes of Ticknock, build up the skills and figure out if you prefer Downhill, XC (cross country), trail or enduro style riding as they are all very different, that bike will cover almost everything except downhill and the very gnarly enduro type trails, also get good body armor and pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Something like the Giant Trance is always a good option, cheap and upgradable, good for going up and down hills

Don't bike a cheap old yoke that's probably only good for going to the shops on as it may put you off!

The Biking.ie hut at Ticknock also has some Vitus bikes for hire, so maybe try one out and see if you like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Thanks lads.
    I'm heading over the weekend to rent a yoke I'm not a complete beginner but I am fairly rusty. (Used to scramble a bit back in the day)
    I have a dirt box hardtail here but wouldn't trust the brakes on it. I'll probably to stick to the main trails to get to grips for a while so it's an all rounder I'm after.

Looking at the giant seems very reasonable for a front and rear shock...
    Might drop down to long mile road take a look at it on the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Thanks lads.
    I'm heading over the weekend to rent a yoke I'm not a complete beginner but I am fairly rusty. (Used to scramble a bit back in the day)
    I have a dirt box hardtail here but wouldn't trust the brakes on it. I'll probably to stick to the main trails to get to grips for a while so it's an all rounder I'm after.

Looking at the giant seems very reasonable for a front and rear shock...
    Might drop down to long mile road take a look at it on the flesh.

Hi Noble Nudge
    welcome back to the world of mud, roots n rocks..
    When your down in the longmile rd store ask for Richie ( the god father of irish mountainbiking) looks like chuck norris and theres nothing he doesnt know about mtbing. no better buchaill for advice on gear n bikes.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If your bike to work doesn't have to be bricks and mortar.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/mtb/nerve/nerve-al-6-0.html

e11d602d00e18c8633440d48e29b6.jpg

• Advertisement

Tomred13 wrote: »
    Hi Noble Nudge
    When your down in the longmile rd store ask for Richie ( the god father of irish mountainbiking) looks like chuck norris and theres nothing he doesnt know about mtbing. no better buchaill for advice on gear n bikes.

D

:D sound...even if I don't buy the bike I've to go see the Chuck Norris of Mtbing. :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Very very nice...mate has a canyon road bike lovely finish to their product.

When you say bricks and mortar? I presume Canyon don't participate in BTW??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Very nice...mate has a canyon road bike..

Buy a hardtail second hand 26/27.5. Get something with a Reba fork or basic Fox. For 400/500 you'll get something decent.

Join a club, try different stuff, borrow different bikes. Experience the pro/cons of various fork travel/full sus/wheel sizes/tubeless and low pressure etc.

See what difference thru axles make.

When you know what ground you like to ride buy an appropriate bike then.

Learn how to maintain your first bike, mtb need way more care, the mud takes it's toll. Maintain drivetrain, keep fork tubes clean, discs clean and keep an eye on bb, headset and wheel bearings.

MTB is the best fun you can have on a bike. When I get over this long distance addiction I'll be doing more.

True Ford..
    Ah the thoughts of getting a new bike has me like a kid on Christmas Eve...
    I want it now type feeling ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

True Ford..
    Ah the thoughts of getting a new bike has me like a kid on Christmas Eve...
    I want it now type feeling ;)

Understood.
    My main point is there is stuff you can learn by reading bit it doesn't compare to knowledge gained from experience.

Given the choice of mtb s buying from little experience will probably mean buying twice anyway.

Shiny new bike is always nice though and everyone else will tell you spend!

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Understood.
    My main point is there is stuff you can learn by reading bit it doesn't compare to knowledge gained from experience.

Given the choice of mtb s buying from little experience will probably mean buying twice anyway.

Shiny new bike is always nice though and everyone else will tell you spend!

I'm renting this weekend might even have a loan of a hard tail for a few weekends...meeting a few mtb lads too so hope to get some speed classes/lessons in.
    No doubt I'll be waiting on anything I order so I'll try a few different places see how I get on.
    Mind you that's limited to Ticknock, Ballinastoe, Slade valley...

Paying for it over the year makes it a much more attractive package than buying 2nd hand with hard cash.
    I'm also first to ride the shiny brand new one and know it's history rather than buying another mans preloved.
    I'll know it's out of a shop too and will have a receipt rather than some poor unfortunate loosing his pride and joy.

Very very nice...mate has a canyon road bike lovely finish to their product.

They do the bike to work but if your company uses one of these voucher/middle man companies then you can't buy from canyon AFAIK.

If your company can arrange a bank transfer or similar then you're good to go.

I'm lusting after this one.

ee8940a175402af397fbe01525105.jpg

I'm renting this weekend might even have a loan of a hard tail for a few weekends...meeting a few mtb lads too so hope to get some speed classes/lessons in.
    No doubt I'll be waiting on anything I order so I'll try a few different places see how I get on.
    Mind you that's limited to Ticknock, Ballinastoe, Slade valley...

Don't forget Bike Park Ireland in Roscrea they have a quality set up and the folks running it are sound.

It's about an hour from Newlands cross.

http://www.bikeparkireland.ie/

They do the bike to work but if your company uses one of these voucher/middle man companies then you can't buy from canyon AFAIK.

If your company can arrange a bank transfer or similar then you're good to go.

I'm lusting after this one.

ee8940a175402af397fbe01525105.jpg

I'm good to go that route so...
    Hope they don't mind exploring the canyon website on company time..:D
    Oh the wine job looks fine and dandy too.

I'm good to go that route so...
    Hope they don't mind exploring the canyon website on company time..:D
    Oh the wine job looks fine and dandy too.

The dropper seat post sold it for me. The email has been sent to get bank details and application forms.

I may be moving into the shed. :D

The dropper seat post sold it for me. The email has been sent to get bank details and application forms.

I may be moving into the shed. :D

I hear you..;)

How would I investigate sizing a bike from abroad...
    Do they have an agent here or is there a very close brand to guide me?
    I'm a 5'11 short arse.
    I'll talk to the lads the weekend and try a few yokes out.

I hear you..;)

How would I investigate sizing a bike from abroad...
    Do they have an agent here or is there a very close brand to guide me?
    I'm a 5'11 short arse.

To be fair that's the tricky part and something a store you can walk into will provide very well. They give very exact measurements on each frame and size.

I 5'10 short legs long torso shape and was between a small and medium and I think I'll go with the medium and probably put a very short stem on it.

I've tried out a few rental bikes at the parks and decided on 27.5 as a 29er felt huge.

That giant linked above is a beautiful bike but the front fork isn't the best. My buddy has one and he got new forks at Christmas. It's actually the one on the bike I'm looking at.

Definitely try the rental places first at least to see which wheel size you prefer.

They're very helpful and reply to emails almost straight away.

They're having a few issues with ordering delays at the minute but I think theyre almost back on track.

To be fair that's the tricky part and something a store you can walk into will provide very well. They give very exact measurements on each frame and size.

I 5'10 short legs long torso shape and was between a small and medium and I think I'll go with the medium and probably put a very short stem on it.

I've tried out a few rental bikes at the parks and decided on 27.5 as a 29er felt huge.

That giant linked above is a beautiful bike but the front fork isn't the best. My buddy has one and he got new forks at Christmas. It's actually the one on the bike I'm looking at.

Definitely try the rental places first at least to see which wheel size you prefer.

They're very helpful and reply to emails almost straight away.

They're having a few issues with ordering delays at the minute but I think theyre almost back on track.

Sound I'll try a few yokes out.
    Not so noble as in my name I dislike the tyre kicking aspect of the online purchasing. I wont hold you to a guess also said I'm meeting a few knowledgable lads the weekend.
    I prefer a really high riding position weird but hard to break old habits.
    Send me a link to your wine machine just to see the spec of course....

Send me a link to your wine machine just to see the spec of course....

Available in stealth mode also :D

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/mtb/spectral/spectral-al-5-0.html

d5964e30764f533f2856c48331683.jpg

• Advertisement

Has to be stealth the scrotes can't read the decals.
    The lead times......great to be busy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Cool looking bike :)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Something like the Giant Trance is always a good option, cheap and upgradable, good for going up and down hills

Don't bike a cheap old yoke that's probably only good for going to the shops on as it may put you off!

The Biking.ie hut at Ticknock also has some Vitus bikes for hire, so maybe try one out and see if you like them.

Called in to have a look they no longer sell that model they have a fresher one different colour so worth a visit... its on the shortlist...:)

Tomred13 wrote: »
    Hi Noble Nudge

D

Called in Richie wasnt in but I knew the other lad...
    Decisions decisions..

On the canyon I was frowned at when I mentioned it was on the shortlist excluding all the sales talk...
    I know they are based in Germany but surely an LBS can do all the day to day stuff.
    I presume the "wait till something goes wrong" is literally me packing and paying for it to go back worst case scenario??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

Not a lot can go wrong to be honest.
    Worst case scenario is that the frame will break, which will more than likely be covered under warranty.
    All the rest of the components are serviceable by a good bike shop.

Canyons & YT's are pretty hard to beat for value for money at the moment

Yogi81 wrote: »
    Not a lot can go wrong to be honest.
    Worst case scenario is that the frame will break, which will more than likely be covered under warranty.
    All the rest of the components are serviceable by a good bike shop.

Canyons & YT's are pretty hard to beat for value for money at the moment

Im new to MTBs when you say YT's??

Im new to MTBs when you say YT's??

check out ytindustries(dot)com
    A similar business model to Canyon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Have been lusting over those two, does anyone have either?

Bored cycling on the road so thinking about doing the 4 Cube Enduro series races this year. Have a hardtail so will start on that and see how I go.

• Advertisement

Have been lusting over those two, does anyone have either?

Bored cycling on the road so thinking about doing the 4 Cube Enduro series races this year. Have a hardtail so will start on that and see how I go.

They should be good fun alright. I might be at a few also
    You should also look into the biking blitz round in Ballyhoura.

Advertisement