Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB beginner gear and bike recommendations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bored cycling on the road so thinking about doing the 4 Cube Enduro series races this year. Have a hardtail so will start on that and see how I go.

Enduro racing.. On a hardtail? :rolleyes: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Absolutely.
    There are quite a few that do the Biking.ie Gravity Enduros on them.
    The Cube Munster rounds will be a fair bit more sedate with an emphasis on fun.
    The Tracton round would be no bother. We were only riding the sections last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Yogi81 wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    There are quite a few that do the Biking.ie Gravity Enduros on them.
    The Cube Munster rounds will be a fair bit more sedate with an emphasis on fun.
    The Tracton round would be no bother. We were only riding the sections last week.
    LOL, when you learnt to cycle offroad/on west Cork backroads on bikes with no suspension having any semblance of suspension makes you feel like you're floating.

(It also teaches you how to pass mtbs on a road bike on the offroad sections in adventure races like Gaelforce :) )

BTW is available in May for me so may go full sus if I enjoy the Biking.ie races, not really enjoying sportives here with the weather.

Absolutely.There are quite a few that do the Biking.ie Gravity Enduros on them.The Cube Munster rounds will be a fair bit more sedate with an emphasis on fun.The Tracton round would be no bother. We were only riding the sections last week.

I believe some of the Enduro races up north have a separate "Hardtail" category, but.. these are generally done on hardtails with slacker geometry and 140mm+ suspension forks up front...

I can imagine doing one of the biking.ie enduro races on a hardtail would be like doing a road race time trial on a hybrid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

LOL, when you learnt to cycle offroad/on west Cork backroads on bikes with no suspension having any semblance of suspension makes you feel like you're floating.

(It also teaches you how to pass mtbs on a road bike on the offroad sections in adventure races like Gaelforce :) )

BTW is available in May for me so may go full sus if I enjoy the Biking.ie races, not really enjoying sportives here with the weather.

I hear you I've been out on the road on my own and in the dark the past 3 months.
    Summited the tarmac path in Ticknock afew times and came across a few groups MTB'ing so looked the crack...
    Brings back the memories of cycling the Wicklow way on a 5 speed Raleigh Maverick in the 80's with no suspension....
    Not as much natural shock absorption in the body now but looking forward to the transition.

• Advertisement

I believe some of the Enduro races up north have a separate "Hardtail" category, but.. these are generally done on hardtails with slacker geometry and 140mm+ suspension forks up front...

I can imagine doing one of the biking.ie enduro races on a hardtail would be like doing a road race time trial on a hybrid! :D
    You're probably right, but will do it for the craic anyway. 6 months time I'll be on here looking for an enduro bike :)

Right narrowing down to the last few...
    Full sus or hardtail bearing in mind I am trying both before I buy.....
    I just dont want to buy a hardtail and find in 3 months I should have bought a full sus for the sake of the few extra quid for the ones I've shortlisted Im thinking full sus....
    A few people saying hone my skills on hardtail and "core work" but I'm pretty confidant Ive over 20,000 metres climbed on a 53/39 the last two months(100,000m + last year) albeit on a road bike and not twisting and turning but it has to count for something extra...
    I'd be over 90kg too would this have a bearing on 27.5 or 29 as I'm reading about travel lenght...???

Anyone feedback on one of these? and do chain reaction BTW?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-ltd-sl-29-2x10-hardtail-bike-2015/rp-prod140120

thanks for the help so far....

That Cube 29er is setup to be an XC racer, so the geometry would be quite sharp with a steep headangle, and wouldn't be too forgiving of mistakes when going downhill...

Full suss is good, but you'll pay the penalty in weight, and bearing replacements over time, as well as ensuring the suspension is adjusted correctly for your weight...

A good alrounder is something like this: www.cotic.co.uk/product/new_solaris

You can have 27.5+ tyres or 29er, it's slacker and more forgiving, you can have 120mm forks, and it's a nice steel frame, around €500 or so I think for the frame, build it up however you like...

Right narrowing down to the last few...
    Full sus or hardtail bearing in mind I am trying both before I buy.....
    I just dont want to buy a hardtail and find in 3 months I should have bought a full sus for the sake of the few extra quid for the ones I've shortlisted Im thinking full sus....
    A few people saying hone my skills on hardtail and "core work" but I'm pretty confidant Ive over 20,000 metres climbed on a 53/39 the last two months(100,000m + last year) albeit on a road bike and not twisting and turning but it has to count for something extra...
    I'd be over 90kg too would this have a bearing on 27.5 or 29 as I'm reading about travel lenght...???

thanks for the help so far....

You would get a very good hardtail for the price of a good full suss.
    If you are new to mountain biking, I would suggest the hardtail to teach you to pick lines better. Full suss bikes allow people to just blaze over stuff and not concentrate on getting smooth lines.

As for your weight, that is just suspension setup really. Maybe a stronger set of wheels if you find yourself breaking a few.
    For enduro, I would go with 27.5" wheels (also known as 650b). They roll better than 26" wheels (which are old hat now). 29" wheels are more suited to cross country bikes, but are used by a few of the top pro people also. 27.5" would be the one to go for.

A Nukeproof Scout would be a great aggressive hardtail

If you are new to mountain biking, I would suggest the hardtail to teach you to pick lines better. Full suss bikes allow people to just blaze over stuff and not concentrate on getting smooth lines.
    A Nukeproof Scout would be a great aggressive hardtail

In that case i'd either buy a really cheap hardtail, or just rent a HT from biking.ie for a few sundays

No point in paying twice, unless you buy a good/popular HT that will hold it's resale value, e.g the Cotic Solaris(which I will buy off you in a few months!) ;)

• Advertisement

You would always use a hardtail if you buy one.
    I regret selling my Cotic BFe. Handy for the rollers in the winter, and general hacking around, if/when you upgrade to a full suss bike in a few years.

Since selling that bike, I have to use my wifes bike on the turbo trainer as I don't want to put up mileage on my new groupset on the enduro bike

You would always use a hardtail if you buy one.
    I regret selling my Cotic BFe. Handy for the rollers in the winter, and general hacking around, if/when you upgrade to a full suss bike in a few years

Yeap true, the winter is very hard on a full suss, all that dirt and grit getting into the shocks and bearings, esp. if you use a pressure washer to clean the bike out afterwards too.. HT, nice and simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Have been lusting over those two, does anyone have either?

Bored cycling on the road so thinking about doing the 4 Cube Enduro series races this year. Have a hardtail so will start on that and see how I go.

what is this series do you have a website link ?

levitronix wrote: »

Not able to post up links etc yet, but check out Cube Munster Enduro Series

levitronix wrote: »

Sounds like fun!

https://www.facebook.com/Munsterenduroseries/posts/1523101238005781

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I'm lusting after either an on-one 456, blue pig or nukeproof scout for doing the enduro on, I won't be winning anything, but it will be a bit of fun. The big travel hard tails are great fun to ride, but your ankles pay for it dearly :p

Noble, from reading the other posts, for both of us between the Biking blitz series and the Cube Enduro it might be worth going hardtail for the start and see how it goes.

It's easy enough to compare times on Strava and how the body feels after a couple of runs to help decide what's the best direction to go in

Ill catch up on reading later on lads thanks very much.....Ive secured a loan of a full sus for tomorrow so all systems go.
    I'll go with the body feeling afterwards rather than Strava for now.... :)
    I want to try make it past first base without too much pain...

Oh just in case I hone my skills in time for the senior citizen section of the biking blitz and enduro races when do they start?

Biking blitz starts in Ballinastoe on 7th February.
    Gravity Enduro starts in Ticknock on 9th/10th April

Plenty of time so.......:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

i think id like to give something like this a go, i go uphill fine, i ll have to hone my skills going down when new bike arrives spectral al 7 ex

Well lads absolutely loved it!!
    Hard tail very responsive and gave great feedback for the terrain....a lot more technical riding on it and skill if I'm honest....a lot more enjoyable I think.
    As for full sus my jaysus I've no respect whatsoever for my well being on that just trundled over everything not a bother!
    So I didn't think I'd be at this crossroads at this stage but how fast do I really want to go downhill.....
    As for fitness starting into a hill to break my breath was cruel...held out and settled in grand.
    I'm sure the aches will set in over night so see how the body is tomorrow.
    Why didn't I return to this years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Well lads absolutely loved it!!
    Hard tail very responsive and gave great feedback for the terrain....a lot more technical riding on it and skill if I'm honest....a lot more enjoyable I think.
    As for full sus my jaysus I've no respect whatsoever for my well being on that just trundled over everything not a bother!
    So I didn't think I'd be at this crossroads at this stage but how fast do I really want to go downhill.....
    As for fitness starting into a hill to break my breath was cruel...held out and settled in grand.
    I'm sure the aches will set in over night so see how the body is tomorrow.
    Why didn't I return to this years ago...

http://madmtb.com/forums/forum/general-category/mtb-forum/11817-mtb-purchase

Great fun alright. Above post is worth a read

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The dropper seat post sold it for me. The email has been sent to get bank details and application forms.

I may be moving into the shed. :D

Did you get any word back from Canyon??
    I've emailed and cant get through on livechat....
    For my own head just wondering the BTW process as they are based in Germany??

Sorted...got a reply

Specialized-Rockhopper-Pro-EVO-650b-2015

Anywhere I can see one of these...Cycleways dont seem to have anything in stock....
    Only other specialized dealer I know is Base to race but doubt Id be elite enough to shop there.... :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Specialized-Rockhopper-Pro-EVO-650b-2015

Anywhere I can see one of these...Cycleways dont seem to have anything in stock....
    Only other specialized dealer I know is Base to race but doubt Id be elite enough to shop there.... :);)

2016 bikes came out last autumn. Rockhopper is only available as a 29er now, think the 2016 Fuse 650+ was designed to replace it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I had a rockhopper starting off. whilst it is a good bike you will soon be looking to change as you will find the forks and other components inadequate.

You really want to be looking at getting a long travel hardtail or full suss. What is your budget? does it have to be bike to work?

you would ideally get something with a Fox or Rock Shox fork. Fox Float 32's from 100 mm to 140 mm or Rock Shox Reba 120mm or 140 mm Sektors. Something along those lines will keep you ticking over and not looking to upgrade straight away.

I had a rockhopper starting off. whilst it is a good bike you will soon be looking to change as you will find the forks and other components inadequate.

You really want to be looking at getting a long travel hardtail or full suss. What is your budget? does it have to be bike to work?

you would ideally get something with a Fox or Rock Shox fork. Fox Float 32's from 100 mm to 140 mm or Rock Shox Reba 120mm or 140 mm Sektors. Something along those lines will keep you ticking over and not looking to upgrade straight away.

Yeah has to be BTW.....
    1.5 ish....
    Canyon is floating my boat at present but the delivery is a killer...

The different travel lenghts??? I am 94kg....
    I want get a few years out of the bike to be honest as im taking a break from the road bike at present..
    I should have started looking last September just presumed everything would be in stock...

• Advertisement

The travel length has nothing to do with the weight.
    Weight just requires setup - more/less air in air shocks, or a firmer/softer spring in coil etc.
    I am 95kg and run firm springs in coil forks. They usually come with medium

Travel is more to do with what you want to use the bike for.
    Cross country would usually be around 100mm-120mm
    Enduro 120mm - 160mm
    Downhill 180mm - 200mm

Advertisement