Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB beginner gear and bike recommendations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The zesty is a nice machine alright.

I was trying to find one with a similar spec to the canyon but it was getting a bit to pricey.

It suits the budget to wait till Canyon call ;)

Ive noticed bang for buck is defo in Canyons favour....
    St anthony is on the case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Ive noticed bang for buck is defo in Canyons favour....
    St anthony is on the case ;)

Order place just waiting on confirmation, was either a new Canyon nerve or a 2nd hand Anthem Zesty..... The finger was dwelling on the enter tab for a few seconds but the mind was made up.

ec18 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, have gotten a taste of MTB and want to get involved it on a more regular basis. Looking to use the BTW option for the purchase so the mac price is €1,000. I've been having a look around and I've a shortlist of the below. My preference is for one for the Kona's as it was one of the must have brands about 14-15 years ago when I was a young fella. But open to some guidance or other recommendations. I'm looking at trails riding at the minute Ballinstoe for an afternoon out.

Kona Blast

Kona Kahuna - Would be dependent on haggling

Cannondale Trail 3 - Haggling Dependent

Cube Attention

I couldnt help you i still cant make up my mind...
    the fact of buying it in Ireland might swing my decision keep a few lads employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I couldnt help you i still cant make up my mind...
    the fact of buying it in Ireland might swing my decision keep a few lads employed.

I know its terrible making decisions....i ended up going with a completely different bike

Iwill I seen that canyon tour on GCN....
    Looks like a spectral in the finishing line?
    Am I right in saying that's the red colour you ordered in it??
    I'm very very tempted just with the colour alone.....why am I so indecisive
    Won't let me post the picture

• Advertisement

Let me attach a photo....

Won't let me attach a photo...sugar...

In at time 5:58...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

link it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thats the colour I ordered alright

cnayon_zps6ixgnfva.png

Thats the colour I ordered alright

cnayon_zps6ixgnfva.png

Defo the best colour of what's on offer at the moment...the black a close 2nd

• Advertisement

Defo the best colour of what's on offer at the moment...the black a close 2nd

I actually wanted this colour from the get go but it's also a longer wait for the black. :D

The spectral posted earlier is a nice colour also I probably would've went for that if it was available on this version. :)

Placed my order on Tuesday 16th Feb , received the following yesterday;

Your order is currently in the dispatch area of our factory and should ship in the coming days.

Once dispatched you will receive a UPS tracking code via email at which point delivery is 5-8 days.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

canyon most likely seen you the tracking info after you get the bike, they did with me,
    my bike shipped with only my name phone number and country, courier company just rang me saying the had shipment for me

macadam wrote: »

Your order is currently in the dispatch area of our factory and should ship in the coming days.

Once dispatched you will receive a UPS tracking code via email at which point delivery is 5-8 days.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd

Happy days.

Time to pay them so :D

macadam wrote: »

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd

What was the quoted lead time on the Nerve at the time of order Macadam?

What was the quoted lead time on the Nerve at the time of order Macadam?

We estimate a dispatch lead time of around 3-4 weeks from point of ordering for in stock bikes as we build all our bikes to order.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd

I have emailed them today to see if they can give me an approx delivery date..

JUst got another reply..

Customer number:
    Order number:

Hello

Your order was handed over to our logistics partner UPS Deutschland Inc. & Co. OHG earlier today and will be delivered to you within the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

If It helps, I ordered my Nerve on 29th Jan, and had it on the 8th Feb.

rizzodun wrote: »
    If It helps, I ordered my Nerve on 29th Jan, and had it on the 8th Feb.
    Jaysus I could be hitting the Cooleys Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alphac

Hi, I am completely new to MTB. Hoping you might be able to help...
    Got bitten by the bug up at Ticknock and want to get set up with a decent beginners bike. I have a budget based on selling my shamefully unused road bike (Avanti Giro 2) + about €200, sadly that might only bring me up about the €600-€700 mark (I paid €1,200 for the Avanti about 2 years ago!).
    The lads in Ticknock told me they have periodic sales on their rentals "Vitus Sentier hardtail" - the pros being that I have ridden and enjoyed the bikes in question. The Cons; having to wait till they become available. My mate bought one and is very happy with it - paid €500.
    Just wondering what are the options in this price range, what kind of spec should I look for and of course any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Al.

Alphac wrote: »
    Got bitten by the bug up at Ticknock and want to get set up with a decent beginners bike. I have a budget based on selling my shamefully unused road bike (Avanti Giro 2) + about €200, sadly that might only bring me up about the €600-€700 mark (I paid €1,200 for the Avanti about 2 years ago!).
    The lads in Ticknock told me they have periodic sales on their rentals "Vitus Sentier hardtail" - the pros being that I have ridden and enjoyed the bikes in question. The Cons; having to wait till they become available. My mate bought one and is very happy with it - paid €500.
    Just wondering what are the options in this price range, what kind of spec should I look for and of course any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Al.

They're currently selling off their rental bikes at biking.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/650b-2015-vitus-sentier-mountain-bike-m/9726605

Seems to be very good value.

• Advertisement

I just got in touch with Canyon and my order is progressing as planned.

Payment due mid march with shipping planned for first week in April just in time for a bit of sunshine. An extended work trip up North scheduled for the same period should see me getting a few spins in at rostrevor and other spots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

They're currently selling off their rental bikes at biking.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/650b-2015-vitus-sentier-mountain-bike-m/9726605

Seems to be very good value.

Those might be gone, as I was talking to Garreth last week and he mentioned the next sale would be in April ish

ec18 wrote: »
    Those might be gone, as I was talking to Garreth last week and he mentioned the next sale would be in April ish

They'll probably be upgrading the full suss bikes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I know of 2 nice cotic hard tails going around 900 mark,great bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Peterod94

Hey check out my ideal Hardtail Specialized Rockhopper that I'm selling. I wish I got more use out of it but with school I didn't have time and now I'm saving to buy a laptop. Take a look and ask me anything you like :) you can also lock out the forks which is ideal for cycling to work like I did on a few occasions. It's on adverts .ie and its a Specialized Rockhopper M4 with 19" frame and I'm throwing in some free extras too. Boards wouldn't let me post the URL link but if you want to message me I can send you on a link!

Hope this helped

w ww.adverts. ie /mountain-bikes/free-extras-with-specialized-rockhopper-19/9798223

Remove the space between the 3 Ws and before the dot ie to use the link. As I'm a new user Boards won't let me use URLs or images :)

Peterod94 wrote: »
    w ww.adverts. ie /mountain-bikes/free-extras-with-specialized-rockhopper-19/9798223

Remove the space between the 3 Ws and before the dot ie to use the link. As I'm a new user Boards won't let me use URLs or images :)

I think you may be a bit optimistic with your asking price to be honest.

I think you may be a bit optimistic with your asking price to be honest.

I'm going off a quote I was given from a bike mechanic. I'm open to hearing offers if they're reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Alphac wrote: »
    Thanks in advance,
    Al.

Depends what you plan to do with it, but as the Sentier is 140mm how about this for €750
    http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/on-one-456-summer-season-custom-build/9907889

Or if you want to save money, rip some trails for the summer and drop cash into a new rig come the winter, this for €450
    http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/trek-merlin-6-brand-new/9639580

I have a Mamba HT, the older version of the Marlin more or less, granted with a Rockshox fork but it's also 100mm and sprung as opposed to air, and I've tackled everything more expensive bikes have, but it would be less aggressive than the On One, more a XC mile muncher.

• Advertisement

Ordered on 16/2/16 delivered yesterday @ 1.20pm that is some service by Canyon,. The bike itself is brilliant only tried it around the house and down 8 steps to the garden cant wait for the trails, first impression was it was rather small but a few adjustments it is perfect.
    Will post a few pics later.

Advertisement