Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some outside perspective please.

• 05-01-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure what I'm looking for, perhaps some fresh eye perspective or advice if from someone in a similar situation, but here goes.

I have an approx 12yr old JRT X. For the past 6 years, he's been treated for problems with his knees (some abnormal bone growth, cartilage issues), which over the years has developed into arthritis. He is now classed as chronically arthritic. Nearly 2 years ago he had an accident and he lost one of his hind legs, but he adjusted beautifully and to this day he's still bursting with life and energy. Naturally though, the remaining hind leg has deteriorated more quickly. When out and about he is full of the joys of life and most people don't even realize he's missing a leg, but now when he squats to poo I can sometimes see him struggling to keep balance. Getting up from sitting or lying down is slow too. He has also developed a slight limp on his front right due to the abnormal bone growth. We tried laser treatment to correct it but it didn't take.

The other issue he has is that he's quite a nervous dog, he get easily spooked at noises and unexpected movement. I have a toddler who's all about noise and unexpected movement so I manage the environment as much as I can to keep things calm but its near impossible. Their interactions are very limited, in that they rarely interact together. The pup tends to keep his distance but if he does engage with her, my little one doesn't want to know. I believe this is because our other dog (who we sadly lost last year), was always trying to lick her face, which she didn't like.

My family and I will move house in a few weeks for the 3rd time in less than a year due to landlords selling up. Moving is stressful on all involved but I also know it will be particularly so for my dog.

My heart is breaking at the thought of losing him but my head tells me I'm being unfair to him and the kindest thing would be to have him pts. I know it's inevitable, with his arthritis he'll never see ripe old age and I hate to see him so nervous, it's not a nice way to be but on the other hand he is so strong and joyful when outdoors, it seems wrong to even consider euthanasia. I just don't know what to do....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Do you have a friend or family where he could be placed for a couple of months (to avoid the whole moving house stress part) or alternatively a vet you trust to discuss it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

tbh I would be reluctant to put him to sleep unless he wasn't able to get out and walk and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to put him while we move. I have a great vet clinic and while doing laser treatment last year we discussed his arthritis, when it didn't take I was told there was not much else they can do and his mobility would only keep deteriorating. The only thing they can do now is another course of cartrofen, which at this stage would be as effective as a band aid.

If the arthritis was the only issue, I'd plough on but it's that combined with his fearfulness that worry me. My little one is only going to get louder and more rambunctious, so he's going to spend more time afraid. Every time she drops something or has a tantrum, he's cowering or running for cover. As a family, our housing situation has us utterly stressed and that just adds to his. I'm trying to counter-condition it by associating the chaos with tasty treats but I'm limited by how much I can feed him (weight has to be kept down) and its so hard to be consistent when half the time I'm trying to keep my daughter out of mischief! Which also makes it near impossible to get the timing of delivering the treat right. I worry I might be doing more harm than good. I'm worried his quality of life overall just isn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Sometimes it is hard to know what is the best thing to do for our dogs and you certainly have been looking after this dog well.

While it may well be possible to keep an older dog going you also have to factor in do you have the time to manage a sick dogs regime. I know with one of my dogs we could have kept her for a very short time longer but we both work so the reality is the dog would have been ill and we wouldnt have been around to monitor her. So we took her in to be pts.

I did feel for a while that we made the decision too early. But then I read an article which said that most people make the decision two weeks too late. Also found these tables which may help you in the decision process.
    http://www.naturescornermagazine.com/help_companions.html

http://vetsocialwork.utk.edu/docs/Quality%20of%20Life.pdf

Hope they are of help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I came across an article about this that might be of use to you?

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2015/11/24/how-to-talk-to-your-gynecologist-about-euthanasia/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've had really good results with turmeric paste with Bailey's lameness. When he's lame or sore he's very uneasy/nervous and is way more sensitive to sound. I've done t-touch sessions/workshops and they say that if a dog is sound sensitive they're often carrying stress in it's hind quarters and this is definitely the case with him! He's been quite jumpy the few weeks he's been sore - the wind coming thru the door, a neighbour hammering etc has had him worried and going to one of his hiding places - the crate/under the table/behind the kitchen door looking out at the whistling front door or standing at the end of the stairs (we have a baby gate) to be let up sleep my room lie on landing
    I have an anxiety vest to help him relax when he's like that and he does settle very well with that. I also use calming treats for him as well as ADAPTIL when he needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP I feel so sorry for you. I have been here a few times.
    Its so hard to know what to do when one has an ageing pet, and there are other issues for you, making it all more difficult still.
    You will do what you have to do.
    You are obviously taking very good care of your dog.
    Dont beat yourself up, you have your dogs best interests at heart, you will take care of his best interests and do what is at the end best for your poor little dog.
    Life is so stressful sometimes you feel you cant see the big picture, but at the end of the day, your dogs quality of life, or lack of it. Your dogs distress with the move or the daily life with a small child, his nervousness, his pain, his disability will all help you make the right decision when the time comes.
    Wishing you the best, hope you get your housing sorted, and in the meantime, your dog is doing ok with you, so dont rush yourself making any decision while you have so much on your plate

Advertisement