Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long life milk?

Options
  • 05-01-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

It seems to have vanished? It was handy to have in winter as I cannot always get to the shops in bad weather. Dried is not the same :( Used to get it from LIDL but tried there and tesco and Dunnes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I used to get the Tesco own brand one but it disappeared before Christmas, the shelf has Almond milk, Soya milk etc but no basic UHT milk :(

I picked up some "Nestle Carnation Milk Pots" in Dealz.
    http://www.dealz.ie/carnation-milk-pots-20-pack

They are the little pots you get on planes when you ask for milk with your coffee. I find them better for "emergency" cups of coffee and tea etc as they are individual pots. Problem with the 1l carton of UHT milk is once I opened it in emergency that was it. And by emergency I mean getting home from work\night out and realising either no milk left or milk was sour.

But they are probably not suitable for cereals.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rubadub wrote: »

Thanks: I have only recently discovered dealz and was in there yesterday. ah well! Great offer on sugar at 1.49 for 1 1/2 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Plenty in my local Lidl (Ballycullen) today.

Edit: just realised it's the individual portions you're looking for.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Plenty in my local Lidl (Ballycullen) today.

Edit: just realised it's the individual portions you're looking for.

No,it is the full litre packs i was after... not here in Killarney or Kenmare.. ah well, I got a big packet of dried and maybe the winter will not see me cut off..Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Graces7 wrote: »
    No,it is the full litre packs i was after... not here in Killarney or Kenmare.. ah well, I got a big packet of dried and maybe the winter will not see me cut off..Thanks
    Which dried milk did you get?

My local Tesco got rid of their long life milk products but re-stocked them again, possibly because of complaints.
    It's amazing that Ireland produces so much dried milk, but it does not retail locally in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

snubbleste wrote: »

My local Tesco got rid of their long life milk products but re-stocked them again, possibly because of complaints.
    It's amazing that Ireland produces so much dried milk, but it does not retail locally in general.

It's not amazing at all. We have quality liquid milk which is good for 12 days so there is no demand for dry or long life milk. Different ks very warm climates but the consumer neither needs nor wants any other forms.

It's rare for a need of a stock of milk for more than 12 days. It may happen an occasional person but not enough to warrant retailers catering for it.

snubbleste wrote: »

Just tesco basic...I get the everyday things whenever they are there. When I was seeking the long life I was amazed at the wide range of "other" milks there are.. soya, rice, etc etc etc ...the shelf seemed to go on for ever. I have ordinary milk in the freezer but it does not always defrost successfully and in the event of a power cut... Often it is weeks between when I can get to the shops and often too I am too unwell to drive.. Old age is not for cissies! But there are always ways to get round it and long life milk is one such. I love the taste too as we used sterilised milk in my childhood in the faraway days of no fridges and shops not open as they are now. Many old ones need the long life so I am glad it is coming back. Will check when next I am out; thank you snubbleste

Advertisement