Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Cancellation

Options
  • 05-01-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

I signed up to home broadband on the 17th of December and a technician was scheduled to come this morning but didn't come nor contact me.

The company has not yet delivered their end of the contract.

Can I still cancel for free? I'm aware there may be a 14 day cooling off period but if I can't cancel for free how long are they allowed to mess me around for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Read the Ts & Cs you signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I signed up to home broadband on the 17th of December and a technician was scheduled to come this morning but didn't come nor contact me.

The company has not yet delivered their end of the contract.

Can I still cancel for free? I'm aware there may be a 14 day cooling off period but if I can't cancel for free how long are they allowed to mess me around for?

Some Claim the 14 day "cooling off period" starts from the day of order, others (including Comreg) think it starts on installation date.

What did they say when you rang them to ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I would consider the 14 day cooling off period to start from the date you actually have full working service. At the end of the day you don't know what the service will be like until it is activated.

Which company did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The company is Vodafone. I'm not entirely sure what the guy said on the phone as he rattled off a lot of info in a few seconds. That's obviously my own fault for not making sure.

I won't be signing up via phone again. I guess I should have cancelled as soon as the installation date was more than 14 days after I signed up. If it's going to cost to cancel now, why should they care? I also don't have any contract in hand. They just sent a letter with my account number and basic information. They also sent the modem the day after I agreed.

Anyway a technician eventually arrived but he said it was a two man job as the current line is disabled. He doesn't even work for Vodafone. So now I'm waiting for them to schedule a date for that.

You'd think that you could pay for something and get it and it'd be that simple. Not in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The company is Vodafone. I'm not entirely sure what the guy said on the phone as he rattled off a lot of info in a few seconds. That's obviously my own fault for not making sure.

I won't be signing up via phone again. I guess I should have cancelled as soon as the installation date was more than 14 days after I signed up. If it's going to cost to cancel now, why should they care? I also don't have any contract in hand. They just sent a letter with my account number and basic information. They also sent the modem the day after I agreed.

Anyway a technician eventually arrived but he said it was a two man job as the current line is disabled. He doesn't even work for Vodafone. So now I'm waiting for them to schedule a date for that.

You'd think that you could pay for something and get it and it'd be that simple. Not in this country.

If you are still thinking of cancelling ring them back up and quote your 14 day cooling off period. If they say no, just say that they haven't started supplying you with the service that you ordered yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Cooling of period is from the day the contract has started, not when you first receive the service.

OP you shouldn't be waiting more then five days for a service installation. Unless your some new entire build, most providers over you self install where you get it couriered next day.

If we are now the 11th of January and there has still been no technician to install, chance your arm to terminate, although it would be down to them as a goodwill gesture.

But I'd be making sure that you are not charged a penny for the first 30 days of service.

Advertisement