Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone make sense of this window specification?

Options
  • 05-01-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

So my friend's apartment in Dublin needs new windows as the existing ones are probably 20 years old now. The seals aren't great any more, they're draughty, and overall they're in poor condition.

She rang the apartment management company and they sent her a 10 page technical specification that new windows should adhere to, full of technical standards, performance criteria, etc. which I've attached. I also attached a pic of one of the existing windows.

Neither of us can make head nor tail of it so does it make sense to anyone? How do we ensure that the windows she buys would adhere to the spec? When I'm getting quotes do I email the spec to window companies and ask them do they comply?

I have no clue about this so any suggestions or tips are much appreciated :confused:

(Also not sure if this should be posted here or in DIY - mods feel free to move if necessary)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod note: That's a copyright document, with the property address on it, so it's been taken down

Best to hire a PI insured architect to certify product is installed as per spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Maybe just replace the glass ! Might help the condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bmm wrote: »

Agreed
    they look like Alu frames, perhaps from that place down south so the question is are the frames thermally broken: can u take a picture of the inside of the frame/mullion please
    http://windowshamilton.ca/windows/windows-101/

If the frames are good then the glass seals and frame/mullion seals can be replaced for a fraction of the price of new windows
    Is condensation on the frames, not the glass an issue?

Replacing upper floor windows in an apt is much cheaper if done from inside but it looks like a dogs dinner from outside so my guess it wont pass muster with the tech spec

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

BryanF wrote: »
    Mod note: That's a copyright document, with the property address on it, so it's been taken down

Best to hire a PI insured architect to certify product is installed as per spec.

I was sure I removed all address and personal info from it but I missed one. I also removed the properties from the file so I hope it's ok now.

bmm wrote: »
    Agreed
    they look like Alu frames, perhaps from that place down south so the question is are the frames thermally broken: can u take a picture of the inside of the frame/mullion please
    http://windowshamilton.ca/windows/windows-101/

If the frames are good then the glass seals and frame/mullion seals can be replaced for a fraction of the price of new windows
    Is condensation on the frames, not the glass an issue?

Replacing upper floor windows in an apt is much cheaper if done from inside but it looks like a dogs dinner from outside so my guess it wont pass muster with the tech spec

Thanks for the update. The frames aren't in great shape and they're quite thin, which is why she wants to replace the full window. When you stand close to them you can actually feel a slight draught and the seals on the glass seems to be intact, so my feeling is that it's the frames that are letting in the draught.

There isn't any visible condensation generally but there is a build up of mould on the rubber seals over time. Not sure why this happens as I would have thought the draught (or ventilation from the draught) would prevent this. The wall underneath the sills and around the frames also gets a bit of mould over time.

Unfortunately myself or my friend won't be in the apartment for the next while so I can't take any more pics. And I don't know what thermally broken means :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are they single or double glazed?
    Frames are Alu and don't look bad based on the pic, the glass seals have shrunk, see bottom right hand corner..
    If you had internet access you might have found this:
    http://www.glass-rite.com/2013/04/29/glass-rite-in-albuquerque-answers-the-question-what-are-thermally-broken-aluminum-windows/
    :eek:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Are they single or double glazed?
    Frames are Alu and don't look bad based on the pic, the glass seals have shrunk, see bottom right hand corner..
    If you had internet access you might have found this:
    http://www.glass-rite.com/2013/04/29/glass-rite-in-albuquerque-answers-the-question-what-are-thermally-broken-aluminum-windows/
    :eek:

Got it thanks ;)

They're double glazed. The latches have come a bit loose and overall the seals / rubbers do seem to have shrunk, which is why we think getting new ones is the best idea. If replacing the glass could fix all the issues then it may be worth thinking about, but my gut feeling is that replacing the whole lot is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

‘Bog standard’ aluminium framed double-glazed windows going on the information available. Glazed-in vents at the top of the sashes would indicate that good thermal performance was not a particular priority. Given the vintage the insulated glazing units will have aluminium spacer bars, classic cold-bridge, hence the mould described on the gaskets. I would think it’s highly unlikely that replacing the glass will remove the condensation – it may disappear from the perimeter of the glazing unit but will manifest on the frame. The presence of (occasional) mould around the perimeter of the window would support this scenario. It’s also possible there may be ingress of moisture from external sources.

fatty pang wrote: »
    ‘Bog standard’ aluminium framed double-glazed windows going on the information available. Glazed-in vents at the top of the sashes would indicate that good thermal performance was not a particular priority. Given the vintage the insulated glazing units will have aluminium spacer bars, classic cold-bridge, hence the mould described on the gaskets. I would think it’s highly unlikely that replacing the glass will remove the condensation – it may disappear from the perimeter of the glazing unit but will manifest on the frame. The presence of (occasional) mould around the perimeter of the window would support this scenario. It’s also possible there may be ingress of moisture from external sources.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Any idea how I go about getting quotes from window companies that adhere to a 10 page spec?

A 10 page window spec!!
    I have seen the odd one that might run to 5 or 6 pages at most but they have invariably been put together by clueless cut and paste merchants. 1 or 2 pages would be typical and adequate. Agrement certificates are longer but they include assessments.
    You linked docx is for a blank giff

• Advertisement

fatty pang wrote: »
    A 10 page window spec!!
    I have seen the odd one that might run to 5 or 6 pages at most but they have invariably been put together by clueless cut and paste merchants. 1 or 2 pages would be typical and adequate. Agrement certificates are longer but they include assessments.
    You linked docx is for a blank giff

Oops thanks for letting me know. Fixed it so it should work now.

Ya 10 pages seems like total overkill to me as well so would be good to know if this is standard.

That’s hardly a 'performance specification' as no performance beyond a u-value is specified. It’s merely a list of the minimum standards the window needs to comply with the CPR regulations.

The reference on page 3 ‘strictly to match existing windows’ is unreasonable if the original window is no longer in production. There is quite a lot of other nonsense in the document as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The spec is there to cover all possibilities.
    The Windows have to comply with the building regulations so far as Part L, Part D, Part B.

They must be CE marked and fit for purpose. The reason they must match the existing is for planning reasons, you may be in breech of the blocks planning permission of you change the style.

Just call a few window companies out, show them the existing window and spec and they will price it up for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pretty rubbish spec filled with crap to be honest

theyve asked for a powder coated, coloured aluminium frame... but havent given any indication of the spec of the colour.
    which one would think is a pretty important aspect of the spec.

Advertisement