Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPOD disabled and problems with home button

• 05-01-2016 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭

My daughter had a problem with her ipods home button and set up the virtual home button instead which worked fine until a couple of days ago when the screen calibration went awry meaning it was not possible to input the screen password, e.g. hitting the '9' did not result in 9 being input and therefore she kept inputting a wrong password. Unfortunately, she didn't stop trying and so has ended up disabling the ipod.

I've looked up the issue and it seems there are a couple of way to resolve this problem (incl putting it into DFU mode) but I am wondering if I log into itunes to enable the ipod and recalibrate it will this wipe all the content of the ipod? Unfortunately, she has a load of photos which haven't been backed up and I was wondering if there is any way to back these up prior to they being wiped?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

Just to follow up. I haven't yet put ipod into recovery mode but have now been advised that if I bring to one of the back street guys it can be unlocked without having to wipe its content. This seems to contradict all views I have read elsewhere. Anyone views on this advice? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

And if you plug it into a computer it asks for it to be unlocked ? I

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hoistthatrag

Sign into icloud.com on computer to see if photos have been backed up to cloud during a previous backup. Restoring on itunes will wipe device, no way to back up now. To bypass the unlock message - plug phone into computer, hold down home button and power button at same time, keep holding until itunes logo appears (after apple logo), then let go. You'll then get a message pop up on comp. screen saying theres a problem with the ipod & it needs to be restored or updated - choose restore. Should restore as new from there!

Thanks for information. I'm hoping the problem the home button doesn't cause a problem with restoring the ipod. By the way is the inability to unlock a device without wiping it's contents unique to apple products or does the same apply to android phones/tablets/laptops?

Sign into icloud.com on computer to see if photos have been backed up to cloud during a previous backup. Restoring on itunes will wipe device, no way to back up now. To bypass the unlock message - plug phone into computer, hold down home button and power button at same time, keep holding until itunes logo appears (after apple logo), then let go. You'll then get a message pop up on comp. screen saying theres a problem with the ipod & it needs to be restored or updated - choose restore. Should restore as new from there!

Have tried this now on numerous occasions and each time it fails. Just to be sure I'm in the right website all I do is google itunes and click on the itunes.com link. (Is there a specific itunes site I should access?) I get the itunes logo on ipod and most time I get the restore screen .. Select restore and wait but nothing ever happens. The ipod simply powers off and I'm back to square one with the disabled ipod message. Could anyone advise what Im doing wrong as I've pretty much reached the end of my tether with it at this stage. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement