Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use HomeKit?

• 05-01-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Do you use homekit and if so what devices/what for?

I don't see a whole lot on it to be honest. Not sure if it's just not supported in Ireland yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's supported everywhere you can get the right equipment for it. For example, the Philips Hue bulbs work with HomeKit, so you can use Siri to turn the lights down or off.

I've a couple of WeMo switches around the house which aren't supported by HomeKit annoyingly, but if they were I'd probably buy a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Do you use homekit and if so what devices/what for?

I don't see a whole lot on it to be honest. Not sure if it's just not supported in Ireland yet?

There's a new gas boiler gadget I'll be getting. Turn on or off heating when you're out or on the way back.

https://www.hivehome.ie/how-to-buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

naasrd wrote: »
    There's a new gas boiler gadget I'll be getting. Turn on or off heating when you're out or on the way back.

https://www.hivehome.ie/how-to-buy

Doesn't look as nice as the nest which electric Ireland are giving them away for free to new customers/€99 for existing customers. Also €299 is a lot of money for what it is :)

*EDIT*

I think HomeKit is the start of something good and something big, but christ the prices are a little insane. for example €200 for three bulbs? Yes I get they are wifi, have more tech in them, brand new tech etc. etc. but I can buy 18 of these for the same price and just use my legs.

I do want this tech though, I want a Nest, I want all my bulbs in the house to be able to change colour, I want to be able to automate the turning off of certain plug sockets but I don't want to be paying the price of a Mac Pro to kit out the entire house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

... €299 is a lot of money for what it is :)

I think HomeKit is the start of something good and something big, but christ the prices are a little insane...
    I do want this tech though, I want <to do loads of cool/useful stuff> but I don't want to be paying the price of a Mac Pro to kit out the entire house.

Me too, but unfortunately the market is still too immature, so prices are still at Early Adopter levels, and standards of interoperability are still not there yet, either.

Advertisement