Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with TP-Link / Vodafone home broadband router

Options
  • 05-01-2016 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

I have an old house with thick walls. The Vodafone-supplied Broadband Router (Huawei HG658c) is in the kitchen. I have a TP-Link AV500 connected to it and to a socket. (I have had two of these wired powerlinks for a few years and have worked without issue).

I have recently bought three TP-Link TL-WPA4220 (wifi), succefully paired and "WPS'd" them and have used them without issue around the house.

Yesterday, I transferred one to my office (same electrical network) at the bottom of the garden and all worked fine. Speedtests on the wifi were much the same as in the house.

Today, my computer connects to the TP-Link but not to the internet.

I have tried swapping one TP-Link for another without success. When bringing them back into the house, they work fine. I have changed the default channel on the router from 'Auto' to 13 but still no success.

Questions:
    1. Could it be the configuration of the router which is preventing internet being sent via the network? I have gone into the config pages of the router but without success/clue on what to do (other than change the channel).

2. Could it be simply that the office is at the limit of useability for the powerline extenders (worked one day, not the next)?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you left a homeplug unplugged overnight then yes, you're asking too much of them most likely. If the home office was added later its quite likely it has its own RCBO (Breakers) and thus EoP devices will really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Never Loved Hovis

ED E wrote: »
    Unless you left a homeplug unplugged overnight then yes, you're asking too much of them most likely. If the home office was added later its quite likely it has its own RCBO (Breakers) and thus EoP devices will really struggle.

Thanks for the reply, Ed. Any ideas on what else I could do to get the signal to my office? The router is in my kitchen on top of a fridge - I don't have much choice on this as that's where the phone comes in. There are three two-foot thick walls between there and the garden then approx 10 metres to the garage.

Is there an efficient extender which will re-broadcast the signal? I'm aware that typical extenders halve the bandwidth and until the promised fibre arrives, that's not an option.

Advertisement