Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron is tripping the switches

Options
  • 05-01-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi
    My iron has recently started to trip the the switch in the electricity box in my house, usually after a few minutes of ironing. Obviously its a nuisance and I cant put up with it happening but is it dangerous. Is it likely to be something wrong with the iron, do I need a new iron. I use that socket sometimes for other things and no problems only with the iron so far.

Thanks. any opinions appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You should stop using the iron, it could be dangerous. Most likely the heating element in the iron is starting to break down, and needs to be replaced. Is it the RCD that trips (all sockets go off), or an MCB? (only some sockets go off). Both the RCD and MCB are safety devices that operate in different ways to protect you from an electrical fault. The fact that one is tripping repeatedly means it is doing it's job and protecting you from a potentially dangerous fault. It is unlikely to be cost effective to repair an iron, so it looks like you need a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Pete67 wrote: »
    You should stop using the iron, it could be dangerous. Most likely the heating element in the iron is starting to break down, and needs to be replaced. Is it the RCD that trips (all sockets go off), or an MCB? (only some sockets go off). Both the RCD and MCB are safety devices that operate in different ways to protect you from an electrical fault. The fact that one is tripping repeatedly means it is doing it's job and protecting you from a potentially dangerous fault. It is unlikely to be cost effective to repair an iron, so it looks like you need a new one.

Thanks Pete. Its all the sockets in the house. Yes I will be purchasing a new iron in the next day or two. Thanks again

Advertisement