Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simpletelly problem with RTE

• 05-01-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here use Simpletelly?

Their Irish proxy server is registered to a company in Sligo but seems to be in Webworld, as is their DNS server for Ireland (adjacent IP address).

Why they are proxying www.rte.ie I don't know, but RTE seems to think it's not an Irish IP address and won't allow (ROI-only) content such as Rebellion play, reporting that the content can't be played due to my location.

Anyone else use Simpletelly? I had no problems with other similar providers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

SimpleTelly is owned and operated by:

Global Network Services Ltd
    Suite A, Level 7
    China Overseas Building
    139 Hennessy Road
    Wanchai, Hong Kong

https://www.simpletelly.com/about-us/

Enough said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It appears to me the issue is RTE's geo-ip database is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

n97 mini wrote: »

If RTE think an ip address is being used to circumvent their geo restrictions they block it.

They seem to be more vigorous in blocking proxies than other streaming providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

n97 mini wrote: »

It appears to me their geo locking is working perfectly. The problem is with Simpletelly.

MarkK wrote: »
    If RTE think an ip address is being used to circumvent their geo restrictions they block it.

They seem to be more vigorous in blocking proxies than other streaming providers.

Really? I've never had any problem with Unlocator etc. Although it wouldn't surprise me, shame efforts aren't being put into making the RTE player work on modern day platforms like XBone, PS4, Roku etc, where they're actually needed.

• Advertisement

I use DD-WRT, so I've been able to work around the issue by adding this to the startup commands.
    echo '89.207.56.140 www.rte.ie' >> /etc/hosts
    echo '89.207.56.139 feeds.rasset.ie' >> /etc/hosts
    restart_dns

Equally the above entries could be added to the hosts file on any device that allows it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't allow discussing circumventing regional restrictions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement