Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employee problems

Options
  • 05-01-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

How easy is it to dismiss an employee that I believe is stealing from my company. I have scetchy evidence but can't be sure it would stand up in court

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bobob wrote: »
    How easy is it to dismiss an employee that I believe is stealing from my company. I have scetchy evidence but can't be sure it would stand up in court

Perhaps consult with a solicitor for advice?

I'd be wary of dismissing someone without concrete evidence to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do absolutely nothing until you know for sure and have evidence.

Gardai should be involved.

Theft is a criminal offence.

If you dismiss/sack then you are going to be giving the ex employees a small fortune in compensation.

Is it possible to use cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bobob wrote: »
    there's an exact procedure to follow, failure to do so will cost you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

there are several steps you need to follow. Get advice. Places like the SFA offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Frame him..leave 20 out see will he take it..Slan abhaile

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

markc2951 wrote: »
    Frame him..leave 20 out see will he take it..Slan abhaile

Mod:Please do not make suggestions such as the above, it's potential to land an employer in severe trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Punisher5112

I agree with your advice but I don't think using CCTV is a wise course to follow. I know you put that out there as a possible option but have a read of the link below.

http://www.mhc.ie/latest/insights/monitoring-employees-in-the-workplace-the-christmas-edition

OP get advice, log every thing and follow procedure to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

As stated above. Even if the the person is guilty you still need to follow standard procedure including the right for the employee to defend themselves ( I was only borrowing it, was common practice,etc etc).

Get the advice of an experienced HR professional (cheaper then legal) initially and then think carefully what you want to do.

Regardless, if you can show loss, report it to the Gardai and ask them to turn up. Regardless of whether you catch the culprit it shows you take theft very seriously. Other staff may be looking on (depending on the business) and follow suit if there are no clear ramifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Aineoil wrote: »
    Punisher5112

I agree with your advice but I don't think using CCTV is a wise course to follow. I know you put that out there as a possible option but have a read of the link below.

http://www.mhc.ie/latest/insights/monitoring-employees-in-the-workplace-the-christmas-edition

OP get advice, log every thing and follow procedure to a tee.

I agree it seems a grey area but I would still see no problem in cameras been installed.

Put a few in put up signs and make staff aware they are there for security for the premises and also as a added security feature to record any robbery or attack from an intruder etc.

The gardai could help once there is hard evidence.

Advertisement