Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing name on account when person whose name it is in is being awkward.

Options
  • 05-01-2016 9:51pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

So here's the situation; my efibre account is currently in my father's name, but paid out of my bank account. I set up the upgrade (with his permission at the time, obviously) deal with administration, payment, etc, but it's been in his name for years.

Now though....let's say that relationships have gone a bit sour, and now he's making all sorts of threats about the internet. So I was basically wondering, whats the procedure with regards getting the name changed on the account when the account holder isn't willing to facilitate an easy transition?

Is it even possible to change the name? Does the fact its paid out of my bank account benefit me at all? What advice would be given to someone in such a situation? We're not comfortable continuing with the account when it's being held over us. Would appreciate any advice on the matter that could be given :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey,

So here's the situation; my efibre account is currently in my father's name, but paid out of my bank account. I set up the upgrade (with his permission at the time, obviously) deal with administration, payment, etc, but it's been in his name for years.

Now though....let's say that relationships have gone a bit sour, and now he's making all sorts of threats about the internet. So I was basically wondering, whats the procedure with regards getting the name changed on the account when the account holder isn't willing to facilitate an easy transition?

Is it even possible to change the name? Does the fact its paid out of my bank account benefit me at all? What advice would be given to someone in such a situation? We're not comfortable continuing with the account when it's being held over us. Would appreciate any advice on the matter that could be given :)
    Dont pay the direct debit anymore. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi Lord TSC

Ultimately as your fathers name is on the account it's his account and amy changes to it would need to be under his request and agreement. The advice from allibastor above? I understand it's your bank account and you can cancel the direct debit with your bank but unfortunately I can't recommend any work around this and it would be in breach of data protection.

Thanks
    Al

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi Lord TSC

Ultimately as your fathers name is on the account it's his account and amy changes to it would need to be under his request and agreement. The advice from allibastor above? I understand it's your bank account and you can cancel the direct debit with your bank but unfortunately I can't recommend any work around this and it would be in breach of data protection.

Thanks
    Al
    Well, its not Data protection. And ultimately if one person can prove that their bank account is providing the funds for the account, then by removing the debit it will force the account to close. 
    Your Father, who's name is on the account will be liable for the cancellation fee. 

Hi allibastor

I understand you have posted here with the best intentions but I would have to disagree.

For data protection reasons only the account holder (name on the account) can request the closure of the account - I understand what you mean (in terms that if the account is not paid eir credit management will close it) but that's certainly not the best route to take as before the account is terminated the service will be suspended until payment and then closed if payment is not made - thus causing a loss of broadband for the opp and his father. Also notifications by letter and text will be sent to the account holder advising of missing payments.

Thanks
    Al

Hi allibastor

I understand you have posted here with the best intentions but I would have to disagree.

For data protection reasons only the account holder (name on the account) can request the closure of the account - I understand what you mean (in terms that if the account is not paid eir credit management will close it) but that's certainly not the best route to take as before the account is terminated the service will be suspended until payment and then closed if payment is not made - thus causing a loss of broadband for the opp and his father. Also notifications by letter and text will be sent to the account holder advising of missing payments.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

You miss the point in the OP. 
    See below.

And to be fair, whilst the account holders name is the father, it this was true with data protection you by rights would not be allowed pay from another account and then leave the payee have no access to said account. 
    Just saying is all, if they do cancel the DD then at least it will cause your company to move action back to the account holder who will have to sort it out. 

OP, if you dont have any luck, just cancel the account. Let your Dad sort it out himself. I imagine the threats he is making are of the looking up things on the net that REALLY shouldn't be looked up?

Now though....let's say that relationships have gone a bit sour, and now he's making all sorts of threats about the internet. 

• Advertisement

Cheers allibastor

I get you now, but the point I'm making is that before the account is cancelled for non payment the service will be suspended for a month thus stopping access to the broadband during that period, which the opp has made clear is something he does not want to experience. But yes, in essence you're spot on, non payment of the account will eventually result in the account closure by credit management.

Al

Cheers allibastor

I get you now, but the point I'm making is that before the account is cancelled for non payment the service will be suspended for a month thus stopping access to the broadband during that period, which the opp has made clear is something he does not want to experience. But yes, in essence you're spot on, non payment of the account will eventually result in the account closure by credit management.

Al
    Thats what I mean.

Plus, on the other side, the company seems happy to take money from the OP, but not discuss the account with him. That would seem strange?

Cheers allibastor

Al
    Plus, just a very obvious one, I assume that if the account in the fathers name goes into arrears, it wont stop the child from opening a new account under their own name?

allibastor wrote: »
    Cheers allibastor

Al
    Thats what I mean.

Plus, on the other side, the company seems happy to take money from the OP, but not discuss the account with him. That would seem strange?
    HI allibastor

I'm here to help and offer the clarification on such issues in line with eirs proceedures - In relation to what you find strange, the opp clearly stated the following: "my efibre account is currently in my father's name, but paid out of my bank account. I set up the upgrade (with his permission at the time, obviously) deal with administration, payment, etc, but it's been in his name for years" - So, I'm reading from this that the opp was initially comfortable with this arrangement - if the opp does not want to pay he does not have to and can cancel the direct debit.

AL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Not seeing anything unexpected. I appreciate there's not much you can talk to me about since its not in my name, and I appreciate the easiest way of dealing with the matter is to simply cut off the direct debit.

As mentioned earlier, I can't afford a disruption in service; my job depends on the net, hence why I'm asking for advice.

Out of interest, is it possible to have two internet connections (two efibre accounts) in one house? If, for instance, I opened an account in my name, would I be able to get a second set of whatever to have an internet connection that is simply in my name? And once its set up, THEN stop paying the account not in my name? So that the disruption to me wouldn't really occur? Or is it only a "One account per household" type of deal?

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Not seeing anything unexpected. I appreciate there's not much you can talk to me about since its not in my name, and I appreciate the easiest way of dealing with the matter is to simply cut off the direct debit.

As mentioned earlier, I can't afford a disruption in service; my job depends on the net, hence why I'm asking for advice.

Out of interest, is it possible to have two internet connections (two efibre accounts) in one house? If, for instance, I opened an account in my name, would I be able to get a second set of whatever to have an internet connection that is simply in my name? And once its set up, THEN stop paying the account not in my name? So that the disruption to me wouldn't really occur? Or is it only a "One account per household" type of deal?
    Sure Lord TSC

It's possible to request the installation of another line in your name at the premises yes, but it would require the installation of another socket near the existing one - and of course the home owners permission for the eir technician to install it. If you're interested in that then please contact sales on free phone 1800500300

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement