Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soil for raise beds

Options
  • 05-01-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I've built 3 raised beds to try my hand at growing some veg.

Now I need to fill them. Volume of each bed is 0.864 cubic metres, so total of 2.6 cubic m.

I was thinking of using 2 cubic metres of topsoil, 0.2 cub m of garden compost and 0.4 of peat moss. Does this soundd reasonable?

Also, should I add some kind of fertiliser to the soil and if so, now or closer to sowing time.

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stephen93

Hey OP.

That mix would provide a good drainage but wouldn't be very fertile as there is a lack of nutrients in both the peat moss and topsoil.

An alternative would be to add a cubic metre of Farmyard manure that you can buy in a garden centre, but an even better product which is cheap enough is called Envirogrins veggie mix.

It's like a rocket fuel for veg in raised beds so there will be no need for extra fertiliser. It's also very well draining so the weather were currently having shouldn't be a problem. Usually sold for €80-90 per cubic metre. Mix that with topsoil and your plants will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks, will look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Stephen93 wrote: »
    Hey OP.

That mix would provide a good drainage but wouldn't be very fertile as there is a lack of nutrients in both the peat moss and topsoil.

An alternative would be to add a cubic metre of Farmyard manure that you can buy in a garden centre, but an even better product which is cheap enough is called Envirogrins veggie mix.

It's like a rocket fuel for veg in raised beds so there will be no need for extra fertiliser. It's also very well draining so the weather were currently having shouldn't be a problem. Usually sold for €80-90 per cubic metre. Mix that with topsoil and your plants will love it.
    Except for taproots like carrots and parsnips. They grow multi-legged in the presence of nutrients.

Advertisement