Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

f class

• 05-01-2016 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Lads,
    Can you tell me what would be the minimum requirements for getting into f class or FTR please in regards to gear etc. I'm a long time deer stalker and fox shooter so am no stranger to rifle shooting. I have never done any target shooting however. I know I'll have to join the midlands or similar.
    What would it cost roughly to get started??
    Cheers
    SF1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Cheapest entry in to the sport would be a 2nd hand Savage 12 FTR (308) or re-barreled RPA or similar. FTR Bipod, back bag and shooting mat.
    A suitable scope for long range shooting - 2nd hand NF 12-42 can be picked up for reasonable money. Factory ammo just wont do the job so ultimately you would look to reload.

The rifle could be picked up for around €1000 with factory 1:12 twist barrel or the other route would cost around €1000 to rebarrel a suitable action. Scope around €1100 - €1400 but depending on what you have you might be able to use it, Bipod €200 2nd hand and a new back bag around €75.

I might know of a full rig for sale if your interested but I would strongly suggest coming down and seeing what its all about before parting with cash. I'd be more than happy to give you an intro to the sport and the range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some good advice from 1jay1. However i'd say this to you, as i've said to all others that wanted to start in F-Class, come down and see what it's all about. Have a try and see what it's like.

Secondly, and more importantly, don't buy anything yet. Depending on what you have for hunting you could very well use it to get started. All the stuff mentioned above is very true, but it's a large outlay and the costs never stop once you start. You'll constantly be buying accessories, barrels, stocks, upgrades, etc. Nature of the beast.

With the new year i'm hoping to get talking to the lads in the Midlands and get the development squad back up and running. This is designed specifically for lads to get started without the outlay named above. You'll use your own gear, whatever it may be, and shoot from 600 yards on. You'll learn the basics of the sport, position, wind reading, and all other aspects of F-class shooting. As you progress and decide you want to stay with the sport, you can then talk to the lads and consider which discipline of F-Class you want to go for (FTR, F-Open, etc) and what you need to upgrade to, to compete.

Check out the Midlands website, FB page, and the NRAI site for details of upcoming shoots. Drop down for a look or as mentioned above drop over any weekend and someone will be more than happy to take you out, show you around.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

That'd be great lads cheers.
    Jay if you want to drop me a pm with your number I'll give you a shout.
    Thanks again

Advertisement