Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Austrian family ski holiday

• 05-01-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

We're first timers Sking in Europe (usually ski in U.S.) with a 5 year old. Looking for recommendations for a family friendly resort in Austria. Heading for feb mid term. Here are some of the boxes we want to tick:
    - somewhere at higher altitude given the disappointing snow season so far 
    - Hotel with pool and children friendly 
    -Close proximity to slopes
    - Good ski school

Also do you actually save any money booking yourself (especially given its the mid term break). Thinking about booking through crystal ski. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Package maybe you're best bet, Ryanair is currently €1500 rtn for three people to Salzburg from 13/2 to 20/2.
    The early Easter this year will give you better options, I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm very keen on Saalbach, esp with the kiddies. The slopes begin & end in town and you drop the wee ones off just beside the main gondola.

I know people with families are mad for Westendorf, but it's quite low. It's not a bad resort, but it's quite small.

Probably too late to do a DIY jobbie, I'm afraid... The flights are all very expensive. Crystal so seem to have some great deals on. If you were a bit flexible, you could leave it a bit more last min to grab a bargain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Hintertux, Obergurgal are probably the only two that tick the boxes you have outlined.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Doesn't meet all your criteria but Bad Hofgastein is very family friendly. Hot springs swimming pool complex with a waterslide, ice skating, nice village etc. Down side is you will need to use ski busses and it may not have the altitude you desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you are going east of Salzburg, and going Ryanair / Lingus check out http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/ for transfers.

I would recommend Obertauern, been there loads. There's a hotel that ticks all your boxes there, just can't think of the name right now but if you are interested in the place let me know and I'll find it.

It was the one of the few resorts that was ski-able over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Steve wrote: »
    If you are going east of Salzburg, and going Ryanair / Lingus check out http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/ for transfers.

I would recommend Obertauern, been there loads. There's a hotel that ticks all your boxes there, just can't think of the name right now but if you are interested in the place let me know and I'll find it.

It was the one of the few resorts that was ski-able over Christmas.

I'd also be interested in this info please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Steve wrote:

Yes, I'd appreciate that Steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Steve is thinking about the Steiner Hotel in Obertauern.
    http://www.hotel-steiner.at/

Haven't stayed in it ourselves, but friends are going for a third time this year, with a gaggle of kids from 7-17, because it ticks all their boxes.

What juke said..

Most hotels there are ski home and away, there are a few posh ones that require a shirt and tie for dinner but most are family friendly and there are loads of options to put kids into skischool / funparks.

We didn't stay there but it has a pool and is kid friendly (according to our friends).

Like anywhere in Austria, if you have a few words of German it will go a long way and the locals will respect you for trying but its not a problem if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

That would tick all our box's, anyone know if you can you book that hotel as a package through an Irish tour operator or is it a DIY job?

If DIY, how awkward is it to do, to include airport transfers, lift passes, ski hire etc for three adults & one child, would need a ski school too, have skied before but 10 years ago so basically all novice, a good spot for beginners?

All advice appreciated

• Advertisement

To be honest, there are better places for absolute beginners but it does cater for them. From the hotel mentioned, it would be a 10 minute bus to the learner slope.

DIY, is easy - email the hotel and ask if available, book a Ryanair to Salzberg and book online with the transfer taxi I mentioned above.

Ski passes are also easy, you can buy a 7-day pass or if you are a beginner, i would recommend buying a points card and topping up when you need - a lot cheaper.
    If you want a ski school, let me know, I'll put you in touch with a good guy who can let you know all the options.

Advertisement