Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get the hair color I want? Help!

Options
  • 05-01-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

So I have a bit of a messy hair situation on my hands at the moment
    I have naturally light brown hair, but about 6 months ago I dyed it dark brown (it had been various colors (all darker) in the past but I had it completely grown out and was natural)
    As of today I had about 3 inches of regrowth, and took the notion of attempting to lighten my hair color, so I bought a boxed dye (I'm a student, salon wasn't really an option) in a dark blonde (loreal preference in 7 Rimini)
    All went well with the dying but it only lightened my roots, which in retrospect was probably foreseeable but I was being overly optimistic
    I actually love the color of my roots now, they're a nice caramel auburn sort of shade

So my question is in a few parts
    1) Would a salon be able to match the rest of my dyed hair to the roots, because it's exactly the shade I want?
    2) What salon would be the best for this sort of thing that wouldn't break the bank? (I've accepted that this will probably cos a lot but I'm going to treat myself, within reason)
    3) Roughly how much could I expect this to cost?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm a bit of an eejit when it comes to anything involving my hair!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't know an awful amount about hair but what you need to do is try lift our as much of the colour as you can. Head and shoulders shampoo is what I've always been told to use. When you get as much of the box colour out, then go and have it done in the salon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I don't know an awful amount about hair but what you need to do is try lift our as much of the colour as you can. Head and shoulders shampoo is what I've always been told to use. When you get as much of the box colour out, then go and have it done in the salon

Yeah I ended up going into the hairdressers today and he basically said that he can't do an all over caramel color because he can't lift out the super dark brown because it'd damage my hair too much and it would be so hard to match the light roots and dark ends so he's going to do a full head of high and lowlights tomorrow... Fingers crossed I don't look like a stripey zebra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I find it strange that hairdressers don't have something similar to colour B4 to remove colour, they only ever strip colour out.

Good luck OP, I have ombre hair because I could never match my roots and ends, best decision I ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I find it strange that hairdressers don't have something similar to colour B4 to remove colour, they only ever strip colour out.

Good luck OP, I have ombre hair because I could never match my roots and ends, best decision I ever made!

It's a very dark browny black color and its been in my hair for months and I remember I used something like color B4 once and it turned my hair a wonderful carrot color so maybe its harder than it seems to remove dark colors, especially as I've had my hair dyed so many colors and it's naturally a weird grey brown color

I haven't asked for ombre specifically but from what he was saying I'm gathering its going to be something that'll look nice even when it grows out so fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the colour B4 is excellent. my daughter has used it quite a few times and always happy with results. before she discovered it in Boots, she had one experience of colour removal in the hairdressers and it was costly.

she would have used the colour B4 on pretty dark colour but maybe everyone's hair is really different.

good luck with the hairdressers. hope it turns out just as you wish:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

aleatorio wrote: »
    It's a very dark browny black color and its been in my hair for months and I remember I used something like color B4 once and it turned my hair a wonderful carrot color so maybe its harder than it seems to remove dark colors, especially as I've had my hair dyed so many colors and it's naturally a weird grey brown color

I haven't asked for ombre specifically but from what he was saying I'm gathering its going to be something that'll look nice even when it grows out so fingers crossed..

If your lightening your hair from the roots you'll probably have to maintain the roots, it's a good few years growth before the roots will get past that awkward stage, might be worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Sorry it's too late now, but it would have been worthwhile having a consultation with several different hairdressers to find one who could have given you what you wanted.

Preferably, one who knows how to correctly remove colour without causing excess damage, ie not using a bleach lightener just to lift out old saturated box dye.

I have limited respect for hairdressers that still insist on applying boring bleach highlights over several sessions to take someone from dark to light.

A good colour reducer plus Olaplex and you could be sorted in one or two appointments.

Advertisement