Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cat paw issue 17yrs old

• 06-01-2016 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi

I have beautiful cat 17 yrs with me since kitten. She is so well cared for its unreal! Life is now sunning herself, fluffy duvets, open fires and eating relentlessly. I have to bring her to have claws clipped every 4/5 months as she doesn;t go out anymore and gets stuck in the carpet :eek:

But now past week or more she has black swollen lump about 1/4 inch wide beside a toe on front paw. It looks like bruise. She had white paws so you notice it. But it is swollen lump. She is not limping or licking it. I just see it and feel like a bad mammy for not bringing her to vet!!

I just don[t have the cash right now :( She will be due for nail clipping with vet in about 4-6 weeks??? Can I hold out or should I find cash? She is not in pain in any way. Really strapped for cash only working few hours a week but dont want to be bad mammy.

Good lord forgive me but if something nasty like big C she is 17:confused::eek:

Anyone have idea what it is? or what I should do? My sister says wait til next nail clipping......

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

zipee wrote: »
    Hi

I have beautiful cat 17 yrs with me since kitten. She is so well cared for its unreal! Life is now sunning herself, fluffy duvets, open fires and eating relentlessly. I have to bring her to have claws clipped every 4/5 months as she doesn;t go out anymore and gets stuck in the carpet :eek:

But now past week or more she has black swollen lump about 1/4 inch wide beside a toe on front paw. It looks like bruise. She had white paws so you notice it. But it is swollen lump. She is not limping or licking it. I just see it and feel like a bad mammy for not bringing her to vet!!

I just don[t have the cash right now :( She will be due for nail clipping with vet in about 4-6 weeks??? Can I hold out or should I find cash? She is not in pain in any way. Really strapped for cash only working few hours a week but dont want to be bad mammy.

Good lord forgive me but if something nasty like big C she is 17:confused::eek:

Anyone have idea what it is? or what I should do? My sister says wait til next nail clipping......

Thanks

I think you know yourself what you need to do, she needs to see a vet. Not to be alarmist but at that age it could escalate into something more serious than a bruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Well I am thinking dont go yet but wait a week. If it was bothering she would limp or tell me. If it is something more I am not a believer in extending her life past its time.....dont get me wrong after 17+ lovely years I will be in bits and she wont suffer. But where do you draw the line?

I had it before where I spent nearly a thousand euros on a cat of 2yrs with bloods and xrays and it came back with maybe its whole in heart or maybe a parasite in blood but we could give her a blood transfusion - I said what would that do? She might pick up a bit for a week or two but then back to square one. Thats wrong in my humble opinion. Let them go!

But my beautiful 17yr old baby........ well no pain, no discomfort, no money ......really worse than tight with kids and all..

was kind of hoping someone might know if it was a bruise or not.??

I would never have her in an ounce of pain!! Kids would skip dinner first!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

zipee wrote: »
    Well I am thinking dont go yet but wait a week. If it was bothering she would limp or tell me. If it is something more I am not a believer in extending her life past its time.....dont get me wrong after 17+ lovely years I will be in bits and she wont suffer. But where do you draw the line?

I had it before where I spent nearly a thousand euros on a cat of 2yrs with bloods and xrays and it came back with maybe its whole in heart or maybe a parasite in blood but we could give her a blood transfusion - I said what would that do? She might pick up a bit for a week or two but then back to square one. Thats wrong in my humble opinion. Let them go!

But my beautiful 17yr old baby........ well no pain, no discomfort, no money ......really worse than tight with kids and all..

was kind of hoping someone might know if it was a bruise or not.??

I would never have her in an ounce of pain!! Kids would skip dinner first!!

No one on here can tell you what it is tbh.

And cats are very clever at hiding that they are in pain too.

If you can take her to the vet, do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

She definitely needs to see a vet for the lump. However I recommend asking the vet to show you how to clip her nails yourself as this will save you some money & also be less stressful on the cat.

We used to have to do our old cat's nails every few weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney op, that's a rubbish situation to be in.
    Could you ask your vet if he/she would accept payment in a few weeks when you get paid, but look at your cat now? Worth a try?

• Advertisement
Advertisement