Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Club 2016 - The Rejuvenation!

Options
  • 06-01-2016 1:19am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I think it's 100% clear that the current format for the Cooking Club is tired and has run its course. We've had a few feedback threads where we asked for your suggestions moving forward, and we're going to start afresh in 2016. We'll move away from the "Sign up, single poster & recipe per week", to a format that may change from week to week and will hopefully encourage a lot more participation and interaction.

The details aren't finalised yet but we're close to being there. For now, I want to let you know that we're likely to be looking for as many of you to contribute per week as we can. Some weeks may be cooking challenges, where we ask you to meet the challenge as best you can and report back, and some weeks may be a more traditional recipe submission week, with a feedback week following on.

We may not put up any kind of schedule so we'd love it if you could subscribe to the forum, or at least check in regularly :).

If you have any ideas, feel free to post them here but please don't be offended if we don't implement them. It's actually very, very challenging to make this work when we move away from the traditional format so while all suggestions are welcome, not all may be feasible when we examine it more closely.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Cool:) Looking forward to seeing it.
    I'm on another (video game) forum where we have started a cooking thing. The idea is to suggest a food each week/two weeks and have people make their own version of that. This week was "lasagna" and there have been quite a few different interpretations so far. It leaves people free to make something as easy or as fancy as they want, and to their own tastes. I like the idea so far anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dibkins wrote: »
    Cool:) Looking forward to seeing it.
    I'm on another (video game) forum where we have started a cooking thing. The idea is to suggest a food each week/two weeks and have people make their own version of that. This week was "lasagna" and there have been quite a few different interpretations so far. It leaves people free to make something as easy or as fancy as they want, and to their own tastes. I like the idea so far anyhow!

This was suggested before and I think it's a great idea!

I agree that the current format has run its course unfortunately. The past year has been a lot quieter compared to previous years. Fair play mods for shaking things up a bit, you do a great job with the forum (not trying to be a lickarse :o) Look forward to seeing how it progresses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Sounds fun. Chowhound do something a bit like this and it works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dinkie wrote: »
    Chowhound do something a bit like this and it works really well.

EDIT: NVM think I found it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

dibkins, that's an idea we're currently working out ;).

I think we've got it fairly nailed down now, so we'll get the ball rolling soon! There won't be any signups, and everyone is free to take part every week, so you don't need to worry about missing out or nothing being posted one week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very understandable that the original format and structure has run its course - inevitable.

Not sure what to suggest as I haven't really sat down and thought about it in detail. What's mentioned above such as the challenge idea sounds good. Maybe have a theme for a month and people post recipes based on that, or variations of it - Easter/Halloween/birthday snacks/5 ingredients or less, etc. Or something like 'Mustard/Chicken ______ - my cooking inspiration', and a recipe to demonstrate why. Not necessarily a personal recipe, something you've found - if the legwork of posting pics, etc, is too much.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm making spag bol tonight, and I was musing at how I've modified the original recipe I learned from my mum, and thought that there might be an interest in a weekly thread which suggests a popular dish and posters tell each other what their secret ingredients are that makes it theirs..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm making spag bol tonight, and I was musing at how I've modified the original recipe I learned from my mum, and thought that there might be an interest in a weekly thread which suggests a popular dish and posters tell each other what their secret ingredients are that makes it theirs..

I really love this idea. I love hearing about peoples personal touches to traditional dishes, especially if there's a story behind it.

+loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Agree also that the original format has run it's course. It was quite sad to see the 2015 recipes not receive the same attention as previous years. Looking forward to spicing it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

This sounds brilliant, it's lovely to see so much activity here again! One idea I had, but probably couldn't be done that often, would be recipes that use a specific piece of equipment, like I suppose there were a good few slow cooker recipes going round after loads of us bought them for the pulled pork! Doesn't necessarily need to be big appliances either, could be one-pot dinners, or just oven with no hob, or no-bake desserts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do most menus spell it Lasagna or Lasagne?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Do most menus spell it Lasagna or Lasagne?

Apparently lasagna is the singular and lasagne is the plural, a fact I was unaware of until someone explained it here on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I've just noticed that it's two weeks since the last post was made in this forum. :eek: I've also just noticed that there are no new recipes being put up. Is the forum still active? Or was there any update since the first post in this thread in January? maybe there was, but in another thread somewhere.

There are some really fantastic looking recipes in this forum, especially some of the ones that did not get many replies. All stuff that I've never made before.

I guess we all have other commitments and I myself have always been threatening to post up some feedback on a recipe that I just tried out, but just could never get around to it.

I guess if people put up recipes and never get any feedback that they get disheartened. I guess too that the recipes were coming at too fast a pace and there was too much choice. Too many delicious recipes! :)

So this weekend I intend to make a recipe and then post my feedback about it. I’m actually really looking forward to trying some of them out now.

Due to lack of participation and interest, we made the difficult decision to stop steering the Cooking Club. We tried everything we could think of to promote it, and while we continued to get fantastic recipe submissions, very few people got involved in trying the recipes or giving feedback on them. That's a core element of the forum, and without it, the place wasn't working.

People are still welcome to contribute, but we (the mod team) can no longer put so much time and effort into flogging an apparently dead horse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

It's sort of flowed with the recession in the. Looks like people are back in work and can afford to start ordering Chinese again :pac:

You all did an amazing job keeping it going for so long and there's enough recipes for people to dip in and out of for years.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort you put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

There are "only seven stories" in fiction and a finite number of recipe ideas that are acceptable to most people. Boards did a great job on the Cooking Club and I got some brilliant ideas from a number of threads. Some for recipes, others for techniques and ingredients. Thanks, and may your pans be ever seasoned and your knives always sharp!

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Thanks, and may your pans be ever seasoned and your knives always sharp!

I love this :)

Farewell, tCC. You came along at just the right time in 2010. Twitter was less dominant.

You've left a good footprint, can't ask for more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

limnam wrote: »
    It's sort of flowed with the recession in the. Looks like people are back in work and can afford to start ordering Chinese again :pac:

You all did an amazing job keeping it going for so long and there's enough recipes for people to dip in and out of for years.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort you put into it.

I'm seeing Dr. Eva Orsmond. :eek:
    Farewell, tCC. You came along at just the right time in 2010. Twitter was less dominant.

You've left a good footprint, can't ask for more than that.

So boards.ie is kind of like an old department store as opposed to a popup shop where the young shakers and movers are hanging out these days. I'm OK with that. :P

This is a great body of work that has been left for us. I agree that it will live on and I certainly intend to try out a good few of the recipes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Random Recipe thread is still here, should anyone wish to share new recipes :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186076

• Advertisement
Advertisement