Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed for lizard!

Options
  • 06-01-2016 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Found a lizard today when I was hillwalking, in Wicklow. - common lizard/viviparous
    Asked the lizard shop, was told to either put him back (he was in poor shape and looked about to die, was out in the open and apparently due to the bad weather could have been dislodged from his home due to the winds and rain), and get some moss to keep him warm and maybe find a little cove somewhere to put him, or option 2 bring him home till he wakes up properly from hibernation. So due to the horrible weather I brought him home.
    He seems to be sort of hibernating properly, complete newbie by the way (you Guessed im sure!), I have him in a shoe box, going to get some sphagnum moss tomorrow and keep him in the shed, hoping to return him in mid March when he wakes up. Any ideas though? Keep him in the dark? Between 4-8degrees, do I get a lamp? best to leave him in the shed? He's in the box with some styrofoam wrapping and kitchen paper......
    Help!
    Guy in the store explained he wouldn't have made it through the night, so hoping he'll survive till march and I can bring him back then

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Wow! Interesting dilemma!
    Strictly speaking, you're meant to have a license to handle wildlife, but serious extenuating circumstances here! It would seem ridiculous to leave him to die when there's a chance he'll survive with you.
    Although I don't see lizards listed on the site, it might do no harm to contact a wildlife rehabilitator from http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie for some guidance.
    In the meantime, I'll move your thread over to our sub-forum for reptile keepers, you might get more targeted help there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

Ah, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

might grow a little bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

Just for anyone who might find a lizard like me and do a search on this forum, ring the DSPCA or Barbara O'Malleys Vetinary Hospital in Bray for assistance.
    I was given completely the wrong advice by the pet shop guy.
    I kept the lizard in 5-10 degrees like he said, and sheltered it with spaghnum moss, but when I brought it to the Vet today (as he was looking very very weak), she explained he was frozen and dehydrated. I didn't have the tools to feed him water when I found him, and I was wrong to keep him in 5-10 degrees, he needed warmth as he was already out of his hibernation. There was me keeping him out of the warm house, and even switching the heating in the car to cool when I was making the 1 hour drive to bray (me freezing myself and the lizard like a gob****e, thinking I was helping)
    Crappy advice which led me down a wrong path.
    Anyone who finds a lizard - get proper professional help! The little guy passed away this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think there was some merit in both plans, but the lizard was probably doomed either way. Because he was a wild lizard somehow forced out of hibernation in early January it was unlikely to end well. So don't be too hard on yourself, at least you tried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement