Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave 9-5 job for a job with 80% travel?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I am 26 years old and in what sounds like a good job as team lead for a well known company. Nice people, good hours and I guess comfortable. and maybe a bit bored as I feel it doesn't fully utilize my communication skills.

I have never travelled even though I have always wanted to but never wanted to leave my job to do so as cant afford to so I happened to find a job as a consultant where I would have to travel to US and around the country and it sounds very exciting, scary as I have a lot to learn but an opportunity. I am afraid of leaving the other job. The other job has a reasonably good salary, and benefits (pension etc) the job i am considering has at least 4000k better salary but not as many benefits)

What would you do or have any advice? I dont have kids, I have a boyfriend but he has worked away before too and supports my decision and I feel it could be a good time in my life to do this but I am afraid.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vicky7833

If you were me, what would you do? 49 votes

Stay where you are
    0% 0 votes
    New opportunity
    100% 49 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have been in roles since 2006 which involve work travel.

For the most part it is a miserable existence, if you are travelling alone.

I have regularly spent 2-3 weeks working as a consultant in countries far from home that were too far away to return at the weekends.

Most locations you are sent to are horrible industrial estates where you are based.

If you are thinking of doing it as you think travelling with work is exciting I'd think again. At one point I lived out of three suitcases such was the amount of travel I did. I'd different suitcases depending on where I was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

Stheno wrote: »
    I have been in roles since 2006 which involve work travel.

For the most part it is a miserable existence, if you are travelling alone.

I have regularly spent 2-3 weeks working as a consultant in countries far from home that were too far away to return at the weekends.

Most locations you are sent to are horrible industrial estates where you are based.

If you are thinking of doing it as you think travelling with work is exciting I'd think again. At one point I lived out of three suitcases such was the amount of travel I did. I'd different suitcases depending on where I was going.

Thank you for your reply, I am very confused and have some doubts but I know for sure I am not 100% happy in the role I am in now. more poor days than good. I know it would probably be lonely at times too. I love Airports and had applied to an airline in UAE but didnt get it, but I know thats completely different. I will take your advice on board though, I just feel it would be easy enough to get back to a role similar to what I am currently doing if it didnt work out but thats a gamble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Four grand is not a lot of money by the time the tax man gets his chunk out of it.
    Traveling for work looks very glamourous but id imagine it would wear off very quickly.
    And what happens when you decide to settle down and have kids?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

vicky7833 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, I am very confused and have some doubts but I know for sure I am not 100% happy in the role I am in now. more poor days than good. I know it would probably be lonely at times too. I love Airports and had applied to an airline in UAE but didnt get it, but I know thats completely different. I will take your advice on board though, I just feel it would be easy enough to get back to a role similar to what I am currently doing if it didnt work out but thats a gamble!

If you are not happy now, and your new role is similiar think of the following:
    1. Having to be up early to get to the airport/somewhere you have to travel to.
    2. Getting home late if you are travelling within Ireland.
    3. Being on your own in a hotel
    4. Trying to keep in touch with family and friends with a massive time difference.

And lastly the sheer exhaustion of arriving home on a Friday/Saturday from somewhere and realising that on Sunday/Monday you've to go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

Thanks, some really good points made. I am not 100% of the exact salary but I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to do some travel. The new role would allow me to utilize my skills a lot more than back office administration tasks that I do at the moment, It wasn't going to be something I was going to jump into for the long run but to hopefully save some money and maybe see some places I have never been but I appreciate all the comments so far so this can help with the decision, so far most being in favour of staying where I am :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Moved from Careers & Jobs Discussion to Work & Jobs. Please read their charter. Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Why not look for a new job here or talk to a career coach and look into upskilling. I sometimes have to travel with my job and at this stage the novelty had long since worn off. Unless your employers give you time off to do some sightseeing, I'm not sure what you're expecting to get from all this travelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

Definitely go for it. If you don't like it, quit and find another job.

You will always have that nagging 'what if' feeling should you spurn this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

The novelty of the travel wears off very quick and as a previous poster mentioned, it is usually in a dull industrial estate.
    I was doing it with kids and the wife at home which was tough and eventually found a similar position that only involved some travel within Ireland.

It can be a rewarding career but think carefully about it before deciding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Many people are attracted to these sorts of jobs because of the idea of travelling and seeing the world for free.
    These sorts of jobs are nothing like that most people I know are off alone in assignment know nobody and work crazy hours whatever the client needs. Often these are high pressure situations and you're remote and isolated. they're just done with one assignment and they're off again on another with less than 24 hours notice.
    A couple of years later these people settle down have kids and want to move back to office based roles but they can't. They're seasoned client facing consultants now and must earn their wage by spending X number of days in site every year.
    Don't be lured into a role like that. If I were you I'd look for a better paid office hours job and keep the travelling for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

The role will be whatever you make it. At 26, it could be a great opportunity and you will have the energy and flexibility to do this now while you are young.

If you find yourself stuck somewhere for the weekend, make the most of it. Go see the sights. I never would have walked on the Great Wall of China if I didn't travel with work.

Travelling with work can be a drain - early mornings in airports, dinner in hotel rooms,etc. But it's more do-able now than 15 years down the line when you might be married with children.

I say, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always change job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I have some minor travel in my job, it was never explicitly stated but I've been to Asia and America this year. Very much once off occurrences and while great for broadening horizons, I can already tell it'd be a pain in the ass to travel more. In saying that, I've spent most of my career in jobs to extract the most experience and then moving on to a bigger challenge so in your shoes, I'd probably take the job and the consider switching roles after maybe 2 years?

I have travelled a lot with work to many different places. At the moment I have to visit 6 cities for a week each over the next 2 months.
    I love the travel aspect of my job, meeting new people, seeing new cities etc. It is what you make it. I have been doing it on and off for 20 years and the novelty hasn't worn thin yet.
    I say to go ahead with it if you want a new opportunity, just make sure that you get out and experience the places you travel to, even if it's for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

vicky7833 wrote: »
    Thanks, some really good points made. I am not 100% of the exact salary but I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to do some travel. The new role would allow me to utilize my skills a lot more than back office administration tasks that I do at the moment, It wasn't going to be something I was going to jump into for the long run but to hopefully save some money and maybe see some places I have never been but I appreciate all the comments so far so this can help with the decision, so far most being in favour of staying where I am :)
    I did quite a bit of travelling in previous jobs and it is very difficult to add on touring unto a work trip. This would be especially the case when you are new to the job and establishing yourself.

Think of whether you would like the job and maybe try and evaluate how high pressure it will be to get results etc. try and assess the vibes for the company, do you know anyone working for the to assess what they are like to work for. Will you have the opportunity to come back to a similar job at home should you not like the travel or circumstances change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The way you talk about your current job I would say sure, quit and try the new one, better to take the risk than to continue being unhappy.

The only problem is, it sounds like you are only thinking of this new job based on some romantic ideal of "traveling the world" and if thats the case you will be in for a big shock. In the vast vast majority of cases travelling the world for work is nothing like the inspirational pictures you see plastered over facebook, you won't find your dreams or enhance your soul or any of that bull****, you will just be perpetually tired in a succession of airports and hotel rooms.

Even worse, it will diminish any legitimate holiday travel you get a chance to do, wheres the excitement of looking forward to a week away when you are away every week? And 80% of the time on the road? That will affect your relationships, whether he says he supports you now or not.

If you don't enjoy your current job then definitely do something about it, but fully understand what you are getting from your "traveling" before making this role what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I would echo the advice about being very cautious and to think hard about it.
    Junior consultants working for the large practices have a miserable existence and those not on strong upward curves are dropped pretty fast.

The travel aspect might sound glamorous but it will take a huge toll on your personal life - in effect you won't have one. And the only free time you get will be spent eating plastic food in an economy airline seat on early morning and late night flights en route to unglamorous destinations.

It sounds as if you are going pretty well in your current job. Are you sure you cannot advance there? Talk to HR and your line boss about how you could better use your skills. They obviously trust you and nobody wants to lose talent.

If you go the junior consultant route you will enter a new - and savage - rat race at the back of the field. Your achievements to date will count for little or nothing.

Its a gamble and I advise you explore all other options first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A week each in a city sounds fab & exciting but is quite exceptional. The reality of work & travel is mostly lonely, isolating & dull. In an 80% travel role you will be living out of a suitecase - & a small light one. You will be basically living in a bedsit ( a small hotel bedroom) with no cooking facilities & be on your bed or a hardbacked chair when you are there, eating off your knees, no couch or comfy armchair , in a generic room, & with no friends to go for drinks, meals or ' out' with.

Most flights require you to check in 2 / 3 hours before so for a 9 0'c meeting you will have to travel( sit around & Que for customs) the night before in what would otherwise be your free time . And you wint be paid for this. That's 3 hours check-in & commute by public transport or taxi to find hotel & unpack & eat late at night, or fly out the morning of the morning meeting - 5 am flights, 2 / 3 hours check-in hanging around airport, 1+ hour flight, bag reclaim, public transport /taxi with suitecase either directly to meeting ( everyone else arrives fresh you arrive up since 5 with suitecase for your days work to begin) & after work you are left heading into rush hour traffic with your suitecase to catch a flight ' home' or find that 3 star hotel to check into for yhe night before repeating the cycle again day after 80% day..

People from work typically won't go out with you or explore the city with you, they have their own families, lives & boyfriends to go home to & you & work after hours are not any concern of theirs. Not to mention thst mist sights are closed at 5 or 6 & simply won't be open even if you want to visit them after work with your suitecase.
    You may have late night meetings to stay to ( particularly if you are delayed or get there & everyone wants to meet you) so this will be talking business over dinner, no drink because you're working & dining while taking notes or working with a spreadsheet off a Laptop. Fun? Not.

Tbh from someone who'se done a lot of travel with various roles, It sounds like a bit of a nightmare. 80% travel living out of a wheeliecase is far too much.

If you have an easy set-up use it your advantage to take advantage & travel - to places YOU are interested in & that you want to visit & experience. Take 2 holiday days & link into weekends every 3 weeks & head off with Ryanair to explore a few cities by yourself first . Think about applying for other jobs thst have less punishing work conditions,ir apply for something somewhere else but with far less travel expected of you -20% would be a reasonable level for that kind of salary. Or plan to take a year or 6 months & do a visa thing & work in australia or europe - asventure, fixed location, chance to explore cultures, make friends, get to visit the cities sights & feel you belong.

This 80%+ job will be available again as people avoid them like the plague - it may be great for your employer but From experience, it certainly won't be good for you : (

I'd say politely decline & shut that door firmly behind you & make choices that suite YOU & not some opportunistic boss wanting to take advantage of you - they KNOW how punishing & isolating this role will be.
    There are lots of other interesting jobs & opportunities overseas out there - you should be enjoying life & experiencing things & having fun - not sitting in motels alone & eating fat filled hotel TV dinners on your bed & sitting in cold airport foyers by yourself waiting for 2 hours to pass before you can catch another plane. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In my experience, traveling for work involves lots of sitting in hotel rooms or eating dinner alone at night..

It will break up the monotony of the usual boring work day.
    Exploring a new city by yourself will be exciting and refreshing.

Please don't listen to the types who think travel entails a pack of 20 to Santa Ponsa.

Nothing wrong with travelling alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Part of my training took me around the world, literally, stepping on each continent including Antarctica before I qualified at 21. I'm still working at it at 28 and it still takes me to new places I have never been before..
    I'm at the other end though with a potential job offer coming up here at home full time so no more jet set lifestyle if I do take the new opportunity, it's a massive pay cut to what i am on and it would mean settling down, etc.
    The past few weeks since it's come up have me itching to get back to my travelling job (though I am an escape artist at times)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

mloc123 wrote: »
    In my experience, traveling for work involves lots of sitting in hotel rooms or eating dinner alone at night..

This is my experience also and that of some of my friends.

One of my mates is working in Barbados at the moment, on christmas day he posted up a picture of beautiful sand and water on his instagram but he was on his own. He also said he was there 6months before he actually got a chance to go to the beach to relax as he was working from sunrise to sunfall.

I did the whole travelling thing, I racked up over 170 flights in one year. went here and there and when you leave work in the evening your going back to a hotel on your own to eat **** hotel food and drink in the bar with the other people in the same boat as you.

Meanwhile your friends think your living the highlife flying for free and staying in hotels for free. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Only positive was I built up alot of airmiles that I used on hotels with my missus after I jacked the whole lot in. Got some cool upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John G

Hello Vicky,
    It mightn't seem it but at 26 you are early in your career. The key thing that jumped out to me was that you noted that you will have a lot to learn in the new role. It you feel that you are stagnating then don't be afraid to move.

It sounds like you have decided to leave where you are, the decision should be is this the right role to make the jump or should I keep looking. One thing I would say is to be strategic in the role that you take and don't necessarily take the first role that you are offered.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, travel can suck. I did it for a few years, glad I did but my travel bug is cured. Don't be afraid to try it, if it doesn't work out back yourself and get another job using your new found experience.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

My wife travels with work - its a miserable existence.

She was in Rome 14 times last year and never once got to 'see the sights', its all airports, hotels, work, dinner & drinks with colleagues and clients in the evening.

She is always tired and lives out of a suit case.

The one thing you have in your favour is you are young and have no commitments (at the moment) but if you head out on the road now you may pigeon hole yourself career wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It will break up the monotony of the usual boring work day.
    Exploring a new city by yourself will be exciting and refreshing.

Please don't listen to the types who think travel entails a pack of 20 to Santa Ponsa.

Nothing wrong with travelling alone.

Please don't listen to the types that think "travelling" for work has anything to do with exploring new cities.

It isn't backpacking. Some people get lucky and manage to combine work and pleasure but the vast majority just get the work and transit part.

Please don't listen to the types that think "travelling" for work has anything to do with exploring new cities.

It isn't backpacking. Some people get lucky and manage to combine work and pleasure but the vast majority just get the work and transit part.

Just because you lacked the imagination to combine the two doesn't mean he won't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Here is your normal week esp. as you talk USA:

Sunday
    1) Fly out on Sunday in cattle class arrive tired and spend an hour going through customs controls
    2) Get to a cheap hotel and set up check your e-mails for what's come in over the weekend and respond
    3) Eat cheap reheated food in the hotel and go to sleep

Monday
    1) Check e-mails
    2) Have a donut, banana and a coffee for breakfast
    3) Go into the office at 08:30 for you 09:00 meeting
    4) Have the meeting go over time with lots of talk and no actual decisions inc. a "working lunch" which just means they got sandwiches to eat between talking while your boss will make promises and take deliverables for you to do
    5) Leave office around 6pm if lucky, 9pm if not to the hotel
    6) Check up and respond to all the e-mails (can't check e-mails while in those meetings after all!)
    7) Do your deliverables for next day for a couple of hours
    8) Bed around midnight

Rinse repeat until Friday when from 5 instead you go to the airport if lucky and if not you fly out on Saturday morning to arrive home around 3pm only to change clothes in the suitcase and leave again. You'll most likely have one dinner with the client in there which is at a mediocre restaurant with business talk and "socialization" which simply means instead of being in the bed at midnight you end up in bed at 2am (all that work still needs to be done after all).

Nody wrote: »
    Here is your normal week esp. as you talk USA:

Sunday
    1) Fly out on Sunday in cattle class arrive tired and spend an hour going through customs controls
    2) Get to a cheap hotel and set up check your e-mails for what's come in over the weekend and respond
    3) Eat cheap reheated food in the hotel and go to sleep

Monday
    1) Check e-mails
    2) Have a donut, banana and a coffee for breakfast
    3) Go into the office at 08:30 for you 09:00 meeting
    4) Have the meeting go over time with lots of talk and no actual decisions inc. a "working lunch" which just means they got sandwiches to eat between talking while your boss will make promises and take deliverables for you to do
    5) Leave office around 6pm if lucky, 9pm if not to the hotel
    6) Check up and respond to all the e-mails (can't check e-mails while in those meetings after all!)
    7) Do your deliverables for next day for a couple of hours
    8) Bed around midnight

Rinse repeat until Friday when from 5 instead you go to the airport if lucky and if not you fly out on Saturday morning to arrive home around 3pm only to change clothes in the suitcase and leave again. You'll most likely have one dinner with the client in there which is at a mediocre restaurant with business talk and "socialization" which simply means instead of being in the bed at midnight you end up in bed at 2am (all that work still needs to be done after all).

That's what YOU did, the OP's configuration could differ wildly.

A normal Dublin workday is even more banal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's what YOU did, the OP's configuration could differ wildly.

A normal Dublin workday is even more banal.
    He's looking at a low level consultant job; if he gets the above he should be happy but the point is business travel very seldom have any free time even if staying over weekends as those tends to be worked through as well. That's from working for/with people at SAP, IBM, Accenture, Genpact, iNet, JP Morgan and ton of other companies as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

80% is a crazy amount of time to be on the road. That's 292 days travel a year. I done it years ago and still do it occasionally now. My peak was about 50-60% but maybe only 10% now. I had friends jealous because i'd always be off somewhere, mostly Europe, North and South America. But for me I failed to see why they would be jealous. It sounds great but for a majority of the time it is anything but. Flying around the US was so annoying because flights are forever delayed or simply cancelled due to bad weather. I've spent numerous 12+ hour days in mid west US airports moving from gate to gate only to find your new flight has also been cancelled or delayed by hours.

Usually customer facing travel is more demanding. You are really tested and put on the spot. The days are longer because each individual customer wants to get the most out of you because they are probably paying a lot of money to have you there. From my experience, i could rarely just leave the customer site and be done for the night. There were always questions where i had to research the answers, adjust presentations or just try fix some code before the next day in the office. So the nights were long which added to the overall work day.

Nearly all my travel was alone although i would meet up with people from different technologies as part of a team. However for the most part, I mostly met introverted loners who hadn't much interest in social interaction outside of work hours. Not all bad though. Met some cool people now and then. Occasionally i went as part of a team with people from my office or would rotate over to the US headquarters. That would be good and you can kind of have a little holiday in between the work. Sometimes i would finish on a Thursday and my next day in the office would be the following Tuesday. I would fly somewhere for a long weekend.

But overall it's a very lonely miserable life. The time difference sucks for contacting loved ones. I started going out with my current wife around the time i was traveling loads and it was very difficult as sometimes i'd be 8 hours behind and she'd be going to bed while i still wasn't home from work. It was messing her life up too as she would set an alarm to wake up in the middle of her night to talk. Friends also contacted me less for nights out, events or trips away because they never knew when i was home. It messed up my diet and sleep patterns also. There's a lot of things to consider as it's far from a glamorous life. There are some positives but they are hidden deep within the negatives. The big upside for me was the amount of money to be made. At the beginning i moved back to my mothers house to base myself there for the little time i was home. I was literally not spending a penny i earned for almost 3 years. Hotels and meals paid, per diems and expense accounts covered everything. It allowed me to save and buy a house outright in Malahide. It's definitely not a long term game though unless it suits your personality.

Advertisement